• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Foxconn replaces '60,000 factory workers with robots'[W:45:107]

Re: Foxconn replaces '60,000 factory workers with robots'

No, mimicking is behaving like them, quoting means I'm, your know, quoting things they said.

You aren't behaving like them because your message is radically different from theirs.

See, in those threads I see people say "Things are slowly getting better." Which you have converted into "EVERYTHING IS FIXED."

It's what we call a straw man. Sure, you're hiding it behind "oh man I was just kiddin around mimicking lol" but that's what it was. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

You aren't behaving like them because your message is radically different from theirs.

See, in those threads I see people say "Things are slowly getting better." Which you have converted into "EVERYTHING IS FIXED."

It's what we call a straw man. Sure, you're hiding it behind "oh man I was just kiddin around mimicking lol" but that's what it was. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

So you used quotes for something nobody said and then used quotes for something I didn't say. Good job being ironic.

Foxconn replaces '60,000 factory workers with robots'

I've been saying for quite awhile now that we need to start thinking about what to do when companies start ditching humans in favor of automation. Particularly with the advances in robotics more and more companies are going to go automated. So does anyone really believe anymore that this isn't going to happen? What do you think needs done to handle this situation?

The real question is how are the right wingers going to blame this one on the minimum wage?

No-ones stopping you from working to earn more than your basic income. It's just that everyone is guaranteed a certain level, provided by the productivity generated by robots (i.e. not costing you a penny). Want to earn more money? Go forth and continue to work, it's what I would do.

'honest elections' :lamo

Basically you're saying we're ****ed.

Again, where is this basic income system in use? Are you suggesting that we tax robots (or their owners) to fund a basic income for those that elect not to work? Robots may appear to work for free but they do have both up front and maintenance costs - adding a robot tax to fund human loafers would obviously raise the cost of robot labor.

Again, where is this basic income system in use? Are you suggesting that we tax robots (or their owners) to fund a basic income for those that elect not to work? Robots may appear to work for free but they do have both up front and maintenance costs - adding a robot tax to fund human loafers would obviously raise the cost of robot labor.

Which is their whole point. They want to punish innovation to promote the status quo.

Because the argument to justify outsourcing is that the prices will go down. This has never happened. The argument is that automation will allow the prices to go down. This has also never happened. The costs to produce the items may be going down but the savings aren't being passed onto the consumers. It's all free trade lies and people keep believing it.

I got to disagree. Look at an old pre-containership catalog from the early 70s. Like say a Sears or Montgomery Wards one, the prices for shoes and clothing are hardly any less expensive than they are today. For electronics they are far more expensive. Hell a 19 inch Color TV back then was 800 dollars or more.

I am not a fan of outsourcing, but your kidding yourself if you think all that cheap labor hasn't lead to cheaper products.

I've been saying for quite awhile now that we need to start thinking about what to do when companies start ditching humans in favor of automation. Particularly with the advances in robotics more and more companies are going to go automated. So does anyone really believe anymore that this isn't going to happen? What do you think needs done to handle this situation?

people need to migrate into area's that are upcoming and that would have a hard time being replaced with robots.
I just saw the other day that an entire building in Dubai was 3d printed.

as technology improves you are going to see a lot of manual labor go away.
you will need to change into a career that is harder to replace.

It's not in use anywhere.

The gist is that once a robot has paid off its initial cost, and can cover its own maintenance costs, then we can use it's productivity to fund a basic income which can be shared.

Which is their whole point. They want to punish innovation to promote the status quo.

It would appear to be so yet. like most that support such income redistribution, they see only an upside to public funding of loafers.

It's not in use anywhere.

The gist is that once a robot has paid off its initial cost, and can cover its own maintenance costs, then we can use it's productivity to fund a basic income which can be shared.

That (bolded above) just might indicate that it is not such a great (or workable) idea. Many other labor saving devices (e.g power tools and motor vehicles) are also in use to increase productivity - should they too be taxed to support loafers?

That (bolded above) just might indicate that it is not such a great (or workable) idea. Many other labor saving devices (e.g power tools and motor vehicles) are also in use to increase productivity - should they too be taxed to support loafers?

It's a time based thing. We're fine without doing it now, but there comes a point where productivity will be better measured in robot hours than in human ones. Personally I don't think we're very near that point, right now automation creates more jobs than it takes away. But nevertheless, (likely with the advent of AI) we're gonna get to a point where we can guarantee a standard of living where the cost is borne by robots. If we can provide that basic level of livelihood to people at no human cost then we should.

And this isn't to support loafers. It's to support everyone.

I am not a fan of outsourcing, but your kidding yourself if you think all that cheap labor hasn't lead to cheaper products.
Super, but even cheap crap needs money to get, as wages have fallen and the labor participation rate has fallen the ability to get that money through work is going down in the USA. The thing that never gets talked about is under the old model when workers were considered to be one of the constituencies that the production company needed to satisfy it was understood that labor needs to get the income to support some decent level of quality of life, as often and as fast as the company could manage. It was also understood that in order for people to buy things that are being produced by this company and all the others too most of the time they needed to make enough to buy them, and if it was going to be quality stuff well made with the workers compensated fairly the stuff is going to need to carry a price to make it possible to provide all of that. This has all gone by the boards, the goal now is to have a few employees as possible, and to pay them as little as possible, and still get the job done somewhat ok.

The point being is that you cant cheap price consumer goods your way to quality of life, because the people will be poor, and the goods will be crap.

Last edited:

I got to disagree. Look at an old pre-containership catalog from the early 70s. Like say a Sears or Montgomery Wards one, the prices for shoes and clothing are hardly any less expensive than they are today. For electronics they are far more expensive. Hell a 19 inch Color TV back then was 800 dollars or more.

They're not cheaper vs how far your dollar goes for the most part. You have heard of stagnant wages? It's been widely reported. That's because wages aren't keeping up with the cost of goods.

Looks like the world is going to need more robot designers, robot programmers, robot technicians, and robot maintenance people. Automation is not such a bad thing, but if one does not educate himself for the future, then the future is going to suck for him.

Looks like the world is going to need more robot designers, robot programmers, robot technicians, and robot maintenance people. Automation is not such a bad thing, but if one does not educate himself for the future, then the future is going to suck for him.

Till robots are smart enough to fix the robots, and design the robots, and run the robots, then almost no humans will be needed.

Maybe the robots kill us off then.

Seriously.

Till robots are smart enough to fix the robots, and design the robots, and run the robots, then almost no humans will be needed.

Maybe the robots kill us off then.

Seriously.

Only if we program them to do so. Robots are not, nor ever will be, sentient entities, with emotions like lust for power and jealosy.

No, we don't want to punish innovation.

We're just capable of seeing the other side of the situation. A person whose job is replaced by automation still has to eat food.

No, we don't want to punish innovation.

We're just capable of seeing the other side of the situation. A person whose job is replaced by automation still has to eat food.

And that person still has options and doesn't need the government protecting their dead end job from being modernized.

And that person still has options and doesn't need the government protecting their dead end job from being modernized.

Oh good, then maybe Congressmen and Senators can stop loading the DOD budget with acquisitions the military doesn't need to protect the dead end jobs in their districts! Why don't we start there?

.... wait, you think people want it to be illegal to "modernize?" You think liberals want to ban automation?

Ahaahahahahah oh man. What a comical misunderstanding. That's not the case at all. I bet that's a big relief for you.

.... wait, you think people want it to be illegal to "modernize?" You think liberals want to ban automation?

Ahaahahahahah oh man. What a comical misunderstanding. That's not the case at all. I bet that's a big relief for you.

Ya know, back long long ago bosses would not modernize all to quickly because they felt a sense of duty to the people who had signed on to the company, who had put their faith in the company.

Shocking I know.

EDIT: I am using your point to jump off onto my point, I am not arguing with your point.

Last edited:

Oh good, then maybe Congressmen and Senators can stop loading the DOD budget with acquisitions the military doesn't need to protect the dead end jobs in their districts! Why don't we start there?

That isn't a very good comparison if your trying to catch me in some hypocrisy.

For one, I don't want Government wasting money on anything, but you and I would disagree on what is a necessary funding for the DOD.

Secondly, I would support automating the manufacturing of military hardware over protecting dead end jobs that can be automated.

That isn't a very good comparison if your trying to catch me in some hypocrisy.

For one, I don't want Government wasting money on anything, but you and I would disagree on what is a necessary funding for the DOD.

Secondly, I would support automating the manufacturing of military hardware over protecting dead end jobs that can be automated.

I don't think anyone really knows what the necessary funding is for the DOD because they've been submitting falsified financial records to the Treasury for decades. We do know a lot about what it doesn't need though based on what the DOD says it doesn't need and/or is wasteful, but Congress allocates money for it anyway in the form of pork spending to maintain jobs that are no longer needed. It isn't just that those are dead end jobs, it's that they are jobs that should no longer exist so shouldn't even be automated.

Back
Top Bottom