• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Foxconn replaces '60,000 factory workers with robots'[W:45:107]

Re: Foxconn replaces '60,000 factory workers with robots'

Foxconn replaces '60,000 factory workers with robots'

I've been saying for quite awhile now that we need to start thinking about what to do when companies start ditching humans in favor of automation. Particularly with the advances in robotics more and more companies are going to go automated. So does anyone really believe anymore that this isn't going to happen? What do you think needs done to handle this situation?

It is an inevitability for manufacturing, but the technology isn't there yet for most other industries. Even if the technology improves enough to do things beyond mundane repetitive tasks, it will be cost prohibitive for many years and take even longer for people to trust it enough to replace a workforce.

Last edited:

foxconn is another corporation that i'm sorry that i have to do business with when i purchase any electronics. their management seems like a gathering of soulless ghouls protected by the "communist" idiots who oppress the country. i feel sorry for their employees.

It is an inevitability for manufacturing, but the technology isn't there yet for most other industries. Even if the technology improves enough to do things beyond mundane repetitive tasks, it will be cost prohibitive for many years.

Oh really?

Singularity” is an odd word. Originally it meant peculiarity. Then 20th-century physicists got hold of it and situated it at the very boundary of space-time, to the eternal bafflement of the lay mind. A singularity became the inexplicable, infinitely charged nothing out of which the universe grew following the Big Bang.

A new “singularity” now looms — the moment, fast approaching, when our machines surpass us in intelligence. Conservative futurists — an oxymoron if ever there was one — see it coming around 2045. Others say 2030. What’s on the other side? Nobody knows. Good things in abundance, seems the majority view.
Advances in robotics present singular worry | The Japan Times

Maybe it is time for you to take another look?

Whistling past the graveyard. When robots now far along in development replace the 20 year old's at McD's and Amazon's current as well as next generation robots replace most Sears employees what do you plan to do?

Get a college education for a higher end job that won't likely get automated instead of cry like a dip****... like most trump supporters do.

Get a college education for a higher end job that won't likely get automated instead of cry like a dip****... like most trump supporters do.

Give examples please. In the past the occupations that the elite told people to get trained for because they were sure things turned out to be not sure things at all, for instance computer chip manufacturing. Just a few years ago Obama was telling us "green energy" jobs are the way to go, but they are not much in America, China took that immediately, unlike computer manufacturing we did not even get to be the best for even a decade before we got beat for the jobs. We have a hard time even beating Brazil, which is really sad.

7.7 Million Renewable Energy Jobs Worldwide In 2014

Last edited:

Looks like we need a new source of slaves... I propose Kazakhstan!!!!

Foxconn replaces '60,000 factory workers with robots'

I've been saying for quite awhile now that we need to start thinking about what to do when companies start ditching humans in favor of automation. Particularly with the advances in robotics more and more companies are going to go automated. So does anyone really believe anymore that this isn't going to happen? What do you think needs done to handle this situation?

They can do whatever they want in China. We however are still gonna be charged full-tilt for products that have zero labor costs... Are you getting that part of it?

Oh really?

Advances in robotics present singular worry | The Japan Times

Maybe it is time for you to take another look?

Thanks for the article, but I think it illustrates my point. ASIMO is mentioned for gods sake. That thing has been around for 16 years and guess how many people or businesses bought one? None. It can walk, it can answer simple questions based on pre-programmed responses, and oh...it has a battery life of 1 hour that takes 3 hours to fully charge. We aren't there yet. Not even close.

Give examples please. In the past the occupations that the elite told people to get trained for because they were sure things turned out to be not sure things at all, for instance computer chip manufacturing. Just a few years ago Obama was telling us "green energy" jobs are the way to go, but they are not much in America, China took that immediately, unlike computer manufacturing we did not even get to be the best for even a decade before we got beat for the jobs. We have a hard time even beating Brazil, which is really sad.

7.7 Million Renewable Energy Jobs Worldwide In 2014

"manufacturing"

Hung up on manufacturing...

Trump supporters...

As part of this "elite" you speak of (assuming "elite" means part of the higher income bracket Americans), I can see why people on the bottom end to stay there, and many of Trump's supporters seem to be the most hysterical of bottom feeders, after Bernie supporters.

"manufacturing"

Hung up on manufacturing...

Trump supporters...

As part of this "elite" you speak of (assuming "elite" means part of the higher income bracket Americans), I can see why people on the bottom end to stay there, and many of Trump's supporters seem to be the most hysterical of bottom feeders, after Bernie supporters.

Evasion with a nice helping of prejudice thrown in for good measure.

Do some math for me:

Take the total number of job openings in the country.
Then, subtract from those the ****ty soon-to-be automated jobs you think people shouldn't have.

This is the number of available "Luftwaffe-approved" jobs.

Next, take the total number of unemployed people in the country.
Add to that number, the people currently working the same types of jobs mentioned above.

This is the number of people who need to get "Luftwaffe-approved jobs."

After you fill all those approved jobs, how many unemployed are left over?

Well deserved prejudice. And there's more should you wish to continue this.

Do some math for me:

Then, subtract from those the ****ty soon-to-be automated jobs you think people shouldn't have.

Add to that number, the people currently working the same types of jobs mentioned above.

I don't care, because he asked what I would do.

Other people can go **** themselves.

And there's the rub. When you replace jobs that people have with automation you are essentially removing that job from the job market permanently. Yeah, you can retrain people to do other jobs. But with everyone being replaced by automation that means that more people will be looking for jobs in a narrowing job market. Which means that: 1: Not everyone is going to get a job because there simply will not be enough positions to fill due to how many applicants there are vs actual jobs. 2: By increasing the amount of people looking for a job in a given field, such as the aforementioned engineering field, the wages for those positions will drop. Which means even more people making less... all due to automation. So what happens when engineers are now making minimum wage? (slightly hyperbolic admittedly....hopefully...) Those engineers will be doing the same thing that McDonalds employees are doing...hollering for a raise in pay. And maybe, while engineering is not easily replaced with machines, there are some engineering jobs that can be. Such as mechanical engineering or electrical engineering. And companies will do it because in the long run it is cheaper to automate.

Eventually we'll get to a point where people can do some things that automation simply cannot do. Such as the creation of things like art, study of science, etc etc. Maybe by then we'll have a society that isn't as dependent on money as we are now, I don't know. But between now and then, something is going to have to be planned and it HAS to be a long range plan. This is not something that a bandaid can be put on in order to kick it on down the road. We need to start considering this NOW and plan for it. The reason being is that if we are to do this properly then small changes need to be made over a relatively long length of time in order to not cause chaos and to get people used to the idea. Yeah, I know, "small changes?" ... yes, small changes. Small things always lead to big things. There isn't a thing in this world that isn't made up of small things. In other words, small things can, over time, make BIG changes when its all added up in the end.

Automation has created more jobs than it has destroyed.

Look at population growth in the last 100 years. We've automated a whole slew of jobs and quadrupled our population and we still have people working.

Libertarianism, everybody.

Honestly not sure where libertarian ends and luftwaffe begins on that one..

Adidas also recently moved back to Germany, but this time with robots.

I have to believe that the obvious solution is the basic income. Everyone will be given a pay check regardless of whether they are employed. Especially once AI becomes a lot more prominent, the necessity for humans to perform jobs will become increasingly unnecessary. As it currently stands, robots are projected replace about five million jobs by 2020 and roughly half of all of the currently existing jobs can be replaced by automation within the next few decades.

As Stephen Hawking notes, the greatest threat to humanity is not AI, but wealth inequality.

That basic income idea is being done where? If I had the choice to work or not to work for the same basic income then I would opt not to work on the books.

I also love being told how to vote by someone who's not even old enough to vote

Do some math for me:

And here I thought Obama solved the unemployment problem...

Libertarianism, everybody.

From a little kid not even old enough to shave, I think he's like 16 or something

And here I thought Obama solved the unemployment problem...

I think you're the only person on the entire planet who thought that.

That, uhh, doesn't speak well for you.

I think the fear is overblown. It's simple economics.

If we are replaced by robots, social spending goes up and we still need defense and regulation, but who will pay for it? Robots dont pay taxes.

And assuming we move the tax burden to business, they still don't have the votes to elect leaders. Robots don't vote, business's can buy ads to "vote for so and so", but a suffering population won't vote your way.

As long as we have honest elections, were in pretty good shape to find a market solution.

That basic income idea is being done where? If I had the choice to work or not to work for the same basic income then I would opt not to work on the books.

No-ones stopping you from working to earn more than your basic income. It's just that everyone is guaranteed a certain level, provided by the productivity generated by robots (i.e. not costing you a penny). Want to earn more money? Go forth and continue to work, it's what I would do.

As long as we have honest elections, were in pretty good shape to find a market solution.

'honest elections' :lamo

Basically you're saying we're ****ed.

I think you're the only person on the entire planet who thought that.

That, uhh, doesn't speak well for you.

I'm mimicking the cheerleaders in the various BLS report threads.

I'm mimicking the cheerleaders in the various BLS report threads.

Mimicking requires you to say something that they said.

They didn't say that.

Mimicking requires you to say something that they said.

They didn't say that.

No, mimicking is behaving like them, saying things that they said would be quoting.

Back
Top Bottom