• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump has a 7-point healthcare plan

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Donald Trump has a 7-point healthcare plan | McClatchy DC

Here are the details of Trump’s plan.- Repeal Obamacare. “Our elected representatives must eliminate the individual mandate. No person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to.”
- Repeal the McCarran-Ferguson Act, and allow the sale of insurance across state lines. “By allowing full competition in this market, insurance costs will go down and consumer satisfaction will go up.”
- Allow tax payers to fully deduct health insurance premium payments in their tax returns, as businesses can. “Businesses are allowed to take these deductions so why wouldn’t Congress allow individuals the same exemptions?”
- Review basic options for Medicaid and work with states to ensure that those who want healthcare coverage can have it.
- Allow all individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), and make those contributions tax-free and allow them to accumulate year after year. Make them part of an individual’s estate, able to be passed on to heirs without fear of any death penalty.
- Require price transparency from all healthcare providers, including clinics and hospitals.
- Block-grant Medicaid to the states. Incentivize the states to seek out and eliminate fraud, waste and abuse to preserve government resources.
- Remove barriers to entry into free markets for drug providers that offer safe, generic options. “Congress will need the courage to step away from the special interests and do what is right for America. Though the pharmaceutical industry is in the private sector, drug companies provide a public service.”

Read more here: Donald Trump has a 7-point healthcare plan | McClatchy DC

Damn you donald, I LIKE that plan, I hate you though, still stayin home.

Little Marco isn't going to like reading that.....

Little Marco isn't going to like reading that.....

Agreed, and to Trumps credit all these things have been mentioned numerous times as just common sense approaches to reforming healthcare!

I like it!

Tim-

I'd like to see a law passed that made employer provided health insurance illegal. Sounds kind of weird at first, but hear me out... We would still allow employers to pay a person's premiums as a tax deductible expense, but the policy stays with the employee and doesn't disappear when they change jobs. Provides complete portability between jobs, minimizes the impact of being denied coverage for pre-existing conditions just because you changed jobs and gives the individual control over what they want to pay for.

That is actually not a bad plan.
Perhaps Trump, knows how to solicit input from people who know more about
a topic then himself. A better sign of leadership than all the rhetoric on the campaign trail.

I'd like to see a law passed that made employer provided health insurance illegal. Sounds kind of weird at first, but hear me out... We would still allow employers to pay a person's premiums as a tax deductible expense, but the policy stays with the employee and doesn't disappear when they change jobs. Provides complete portability between jobs, minimizes the impact of being denied coverage for pre-existing conditions just because you changed jobs and gives the individual control over what they want to pay for.
Not Bad, but it would take some sort of rework on how the Insurance companies sell their product.
the large employers, get volume discounts, that individuals do not.

1. Purchasing insurance across state lines takes away state's rights and doesn't solve problems. It just allows garbage to be sold on the market.

2- This is great and shows just how thoughtless the GOP establishment is. They've had 8 years to come up with an alternative and all they've offered are things that are demonstratably worse than the ACA.

3. This needs to be bolder to ensure that those with Pre-existing conditions can get healthcare.

4. Nothing wrong with this point, and it does use the right buzz-words. As an insurance salesman, the vast majority of HSA's are already tax-free but I'm not sure how they work with someone who dies. It's clever though

5. nailed it.

6. nothing wrong with it but it's more nailing buzz-words than actual policy. Still, it's clever.

7. more buzzwords but it's the right buzzwords.

It's better than anything and everything the GOP establishment has been kicking around for the past 8 years.

That is actually not a bad plan.
Perhaps Trump, knows how to solicit input from people who know more about
a topic then himself. A better sign of leadership than all the rhetoric on the campaign trail.

AGREED. When I heard Obama talking about "if you like your plan, you can keep your plan" I knew he was lying. I sell health insurance. I knew it was bull****.

Well, at least the Donald is doing some level specificity.

- Repeal the McCarran-Ferguson Act, and allow the sale of insurance across state lines. “By allowing full competition in this market, insurance costs will go down and consumer satisfaction will go up.”

Not being a healthcare wonk, I'd like to review why this exists in the first place before I'd agree that this makes sense.

- Allow tax payers to fully deduct health insurance premium payments in their tax returns, as businesses can. “Businesses are allowed to take these deductions so why wouldn’t Congress allow individuals the same exemptions?”

Let's keep it real, this does make sense.

- Review basic options for Medicaid and work with states to ensure that those who want healthcare coverage can have it.

That's meaningless words unless you makes a law that forces states to accept the extra Medicare coverage that the AMA provides. Otherwise, this will all get vetoed in Red states (Like your precious Texas) that refuse to allow people to gain back what they've put into the system because... Well, because conservative politicians don't have souls is the nearest I can tell.

- Allow all individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), and make those contributions tax-free and allow them to accumulate year after year. Make them part of an individual’s estate, able to be passed on to heirs without fear of any death penalty.

Honestly, I don't see how this helps anyone.

- Require price transparency from all healthcare providers, including clinics and hospitals.

The AMA partially does this already, but if this could be made stronger, I'd be all for it.

- Block-grant Medicaid to the states. Incentivize the states to seek out and eliminate fraud, waste and abuse to preserve government resources.

So I agree with the first part, but I don't think it's Constitutional. As to the later part, the ACA already does that for private insurance, and Medicaid is already the most efficient healthcare provider around, with ~3% operating costs, 97% going to direct medical costs.

If they want to eliminate waste and abuse, they could start with repealing the medicare/medicaid's ability to group negotiate down prices with Big Pharma. Talk about a savings.

- Remove barriers to entry into free markets for drug providers that offer safe, generic options. “Congress will need the courage to step away from the special interests and do what is right for America. Though the pharmaceutical industry is in the private sector, drug companies provide a public service.”

I agree, but that's just words. There's no actual specific policy here, but to be fair it's a primary.

In any case, I completely fail to see how this gets the remaining 27 million Americans into a healthcare insurance program. This falls pretty short of addressing some of the most key issues.

Kind of. I'd actually prefer that employer provided health benefits were taxable with the offset being an "above the line" deduction, capped at some reasonable amount, on one's individual tax return. No more itemizing of health deductions, no floor and everyone gets the deduction as an adjustment to AGI.

The reason why this won't necessarily work is because Group Health Plans are based on the demographics of the employee base. If an employer has a bunch of less than healthy employees in Nevada and then an employee transfer to a company that has a bunch of healthy employees in Vermont then that Vermont employer may not want to pay that rate even if it's a tax write off. Every variance in health insurance underwritting requires a greater degree of effort to complete tax forms. If there's a bunch of variances then that makes filing taxes for the corporation a nightmare.

Furthermore Group Health Plans are designed to give the group several discounts. Employers can fire employees who may have high maintanance costs like sick or pregnant employees during those "90 day probation periods" most of us are familiar with. If a person has an individual plan that they keep then they're getting teh benefits of the group screening but the insurance company is taking greater risks. This is a nightmare for the insurance company when it comes to taxes because for Group Health Plans they have to create plans by treating all people within a certain class fairly.

He is going to need one hell of a complicit Congress for anything on this plan to be plausible.

1. Purchasing insurance across state lines takes away state's rights and doesn't solve problems. It just allows garbage to be sold on the market.

2- This is great and shows just how thoughtless the GOP establishment is. They've had 8 years to come up with an alternative and all they've offered are things that are demonstratably worse than the ACA.

3. This needs to be bolder to ensure that those with Pre-existing conditions can get healthcare.

4. Nothing wrong with this point, and it does use the right buzz-words. As an insurance salesman, the vast majority of HSA's are already tax-free but I'm not sure how they work with someone who dies. It's clever though

5. nailed it.

6. nothing wrong with it but it's more nailing buzz-words than actual policy. Still, it's clever.

It's better than anything and everything the GOP establishment has been kicking around for the past 8 years.
Actually the majority have been suggested by the Repubs since before Obamacare was made into law. I thought you were a Trump supporter?

Last edited:
It gives me pause to see a health insurance salesmen with such a positive opinion of Trump's healthcare strategy, but in your case being a self proclaimed libertarian I'll give you the benefit of the doubt :cool:

How is anything in there going to reduce healthcare costs? Obama's plan didn't do it. Neither does Trump's plan. "Repeal Obamacare"? Deduct insurance premiums on our taxes? Use HSAs?

Well we should just keep the OBamacare way, since there just isn't anything Tres can understand as being good.

He is going to need one hell of a complicit Congress for anything on this plan to be plausible.

He's also going to need a Senate to repeal Obamacare, since the Congress have voted to do it how many times already?

He's also going to need a Senate to repeal Obamacare, since the Congress have voted to do it how many times already?

More than just that first step, the last couple of Congresses have tried 40+ times. The rest will be problematic.

Well we should just keep the OBamacare way, since there just isn't anything Tres can understand as being good.

What in the hell? Wow, that's what you got out of my post. Amazing.

Yeah, let's repeal Obamacare. That is a great plan! And it's so original too. Leave it to Trump to come up with something so innovative.

More than just that first step, the last couple of Congresses have tried 40+ times. The rest will be problematic.

But hey, it's part of the Trump plan, and everyone likes the idea. So I guess it's all good.

One day I'd like to see someone actually put out a plan that lowers the cost of healthcare. Nobody has, including Trump. His plan is nothing different than a combination of what McCain offered, Romney offered, and what those nasty establishment Republicans in DC have been trying to do for the last 10 years.

How is anything in there going to reduce healthcare costs? Obama's plan didn't do it. Neither does Trump's plan. "Repeal Obamacare"? Deduct insurance premiums on our taxes? Use HSAs?

Finally. Look at how many people just accepted the claim it would reduce costs, nor has anyone looked very deeply at the response of the insurance companies who wrote ACA.

As far as I can see most if not all of those ideas are just that, theory. Like war, the first thing to go in an election is truth

What in the hell? Wow, that's what you got out of my post. Amazing.

Yeah, let's repeal Obamacare. That is a great plan! And it's so original too. Leave it to Trump to come up with something so innovative.

Well you act like doing so is pointless.

Repealing Obamacare comes with a lifting of a lot of garbage regulations, that saves money. It no long "Garuntees" paying for healthcare per say, whenever government says "We'll cover the cost" the cost goes UP. HSA's would allow for young people to save up substantial (if they so choose) saving funds that could be used in emergencies. That saves insurance costs, saves hospitals on no-collect costs, saves people costs. By allowing you to deduct premiums on your taxes, you encourage people to get insured, which IMHO will have more people signing up then if say "YOU MUST DO THIS".

All good things, I hate that Trump is pushing it though.

Actually the majority have been suggested by the Repubs since before Obamacare was made into law. I thought I were a Trump supporter?
No, the GOP establishment presents SOME of those things but not all of those things, and it's in various plans.

Plan A might have point 2, 5, and 7
Plan b might have a point not mentioned, 1, and point 6
and so on and so forth. Basically the GOP establishment has been kicking around a multitude of plans: and many of them are indeed worse than the ACA.

If the same plan in ND cost 100 a month and It costs 500 in NY why can't I go spend 100 in ND? what does it matter. you are wrong.

rhetoric without substance sums up this right here.

That is what it says if you read it.

you can already choose a beneficiary for your HSA. maybe he is thinking of FSA which is completely different.

No buzz words about it. that is why a hospital will advertise a CT scan for 1200 but then if you can pay straight up cash it will cost you 200.

I don't think you know what buzzwords are.

LOL half the things on there have been republican idea's lol.

The biggest problem with the elimination of state lines is that it generates an incentive for state's to create a race to the bottom in terms of their healthcare insurance regulations. Essentially, the State which allows insurance companies to sell the most profitable types of insurance plans or the least regulated type of insurance plans will attract the most insurance companies.

Plus, it makes it extremely difficult for consumers to influence the decision making of their insurance providers. Whereas currently consumers can put pressure on their legislators to, in turn, put pressure on the insurance companies - a race for the bottom effectively means that consumers from 47-49 states are no longer allowed this particular avenue. They can not lobby a different state's legislator.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom