• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you believe in God? [W:10]

Do you believe in God?

• I believe in the Jewish/Christian/Muslim God

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • I believe in the Hindu Gods

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I believe in the Buddhist/Shinto/Taoist/etc view of God

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I believe in the existence of an impersonal but intelligent higher power

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I am an Atheist

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • I believe a little of everything

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I believe in Dog...not God

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
Yes.

Don't know which one. Don't know her name either.

Do you believe in God?

which one?

Yes I do.

There are not a million gods, there are only a million religions.

God is One and It Is above all religions.

My opinion.

No

I believe in the supernatural. . . not the same as 'a divine being that oversees humanity'

Yup. Jewish God. That is of course my belief and I don't apply it to anyone else.

I dont believe in any God.

How could not believe in one God for everyone?

Yep, I believe in a non-specific personal and intelligent God.

Better question is do you believe in unicorns, big foot, lochness monster, and god? The answer to all those should be the same.

Better question is do you believe in unicorns, big foot, lochness monster, and god? The answer to all those should be the same.

Moderator's Warning:
Please read the rules for this sub-forum before posting here.

At this moment I believe in the real possibility of an intelligent super-natural being, that started the universe and keeps it all going. As to a personal God, that communicates with human beings and is involved in our affairs, no..I don't believe that.

At this moment I believe in the real possibility of an intelligent super-natural being, that started the universe and keeps it all going. As to a personal God, that communicates with human beings and is involved in our affairs, no..I don't believe that.
I sort of believe that... but I would still need an "other" category for my beliefs. I do believe there is something out there that creates and I have numerous theories floating around in my head. ONe of them is that God is not in fact perfect and that explains all of the insane imperfections and seriously messed up **** when good people die horribly and far younger than they should while **** bags go on living and taking dumps on society. God may be evolving just as we are and that explains our evolution... Maybe we are still part of a greater plan that will involve a greater species one day. Started out as slimy amoeba things which became fish- lizards -reptiles- dinosaurs -birds -woolly mammoths -walking apes... humans....

another thing in my head is that God is everything that creates including us. Yeah, I know kinda star warsish, but might just as well be eh.

Yes, but not in the standard socially acceptable manner, and not any specific formal religion's god figure.

sometimes, I wobble back and forth between Agnosticism & Deism. Deism is more hopeful...while Agnosticism is more scientific.

sometimes, I wobble back and forth between Agnosticism & Deism. Deism is more hopeful...while Agnosticism is more scientific.
Ive thought of that as well on occasion (deism) but I wonder if putting the universe on auto pilot would allow it all to fall apart.... I was into fresh water aquarium fish when I was a kid. There are people out there who have created a mini ecosystem with their tanks and all they have to do is keep fresh flowing water going, no feeding or cleaning required. I never got that good at it, but I was into the natural looking aquariums and did get angel fish to spawn.

none of the available choices really fits my beliefs, but i do believe in God.

I certainly don't believe in a deity that takes active interest in human affairs in the vein of religious texts, nor one that "intelligently designed" the universe. Just looking around, it doesn't seem like the kind of thing a perfect, all-knowing, all-powerful creator would come up with. It's almost like if given an interview with this hypothetical deity, my first question would be "What were you smoking?"

Maybe I could swallow the idea of a flawed creator with a mysterious sense of humor. Existing after death in the form of energy or invisible zombies or something, by pure physical chance (but a process we admittedly can't observe), that I couldn't rule out.

I believe in no form of higher, spiritual being.

I'm ambivalent. I can't be certain and don't care either way.

I do, however, have a hard time imagining any kind of God would encourage or condone the completely contradictory behaviors exercised in their name.

Answered "Atheist", even though I'm less of an atheist than a humanist naturalist.

My question is, why do we let religion define what "God" is? If "god" is the total sum of all the laws of the universe, then I certainly believe in God. But if "God" is the white, heterosexual male God of Abraham who tallies every falling sparrow, then I certainly don't believe in God. No offense to the personally religious, but I think that the religiously based notion of God has become the standard litmus test for atheism or theism. It's kind of sad how narrow the discussion has become.

Answered "Atheist", even though I'm less of an atheist than a humanist naturalist.

My question is, why do we let religion define what "God" is? If "god" is the total sum of all the laws of the universe, then I certainly believe in God. But if "God" is the white, heterosexual male God of Abraham who tallies every falling sparrow, then I certainly don't believe in God. No offense to the personally religious, but I think that the religiously based notion of God has become the standard litmus test for atheism or theism. It's kind of sad how narrow the discussion has become.

We have no other reference of information for a God or Supreme Being other than what religions have defined over the past thousands of years. I believe like many that a singular God is probably not easily explainable by any/all religions, sciences or philosophies. If we're talking about a Being that is all inclusive, created and sustains the whole natural universe and probably more, then I'm sure our minds are far from able to completely comprehend such scope and magnitude.

Personally, I believe a supreme being is possibly pure energy with no particular form other than what he/she chooses. Is restricted by no rules, except those that are self imposed, is the author of all existence but most specifically identifies self with consciousness as the source of life.

We have no other reference of information for a God or Supreme Being other than what religions have defined over the past thousands of years. I believe like many that a singular God is probably not easily explainable by any/all religions, sciences or philosophies. If we're talking about a Being that is all inclusive, created and sustains the whole natural universe and probably more, then I'm sure our minds are far from able to completely comprehend such scope and magnitude.

Personally, I believe a supreme being is possibly pure energy with no particular form other than what he/she chooses. Is restricted by no rules, except those that are self imposed, is the author of all existence but most specifically identifies self with consciousness as the source of life.

That seems reasonable. I am agnostic, but have been attending church services. It's nice to imagine that human life is significant and meaningful. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom