• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeSantis bans homeless from sleeping on public property

This is shocking, even to me, but I kinda agree with DeSantis and FL Republicans on this one. (I know, write it down somewhere.)

Florida is trying to avoid the mistake that California is going through still today.

California does not have much of a plausible plan to deal with homelessness but has plenty of effort to make it easier for their homeless population to grow. Does not mean that Florida has that much of an active plan either outside of "access to services" (whatever that ends up being) but the last thing they want is their public property becoming homeless shelters.

While not a very humane action on Florida's part neither is encouragement of of scattering homeless all throughout whatever public property is there assuming services will go to them and/or that the usual complications of trash, drug use, and decease magically goes away.

Ultimately, the issue of homelessness is economic but we cannot "feel good" our way through this to the results seen in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, and several other spots in California who ironically blew through $17.5 billion from 2018 to 2022 only to see the problem get worse.

In a near too close to call race, voters in California are doubling down on their idea, prop 1 and another $6.4 billion via bonds to throw more money at it.

Perhaps we should be more skeptical of California's approach and at least discuss why Florida went another direction.

Sources for numbers:

I guess he wants them on private property.
Every liberal needs to private housing for illegals, especially MS13.

Homeless people are all MS13?

That is so profoundly stupid that it is beautiful.

In Seattle there is various residential rehabilitation homes such as the Adult Recovery Center run by the Salvation Army, most nights it has empty beds.
This statement tells me that your experience with dealing with someone with substance abuse is practically nil.

If you did...you would know why there might be empty beds.

I hope you never have to find out, especially if you are dealing with a friend or loved one...if you ever do, your tune will change. And I sincerely hope you don't: it is hard, it is hurtful, it is painful and so, so, so ****ing difficult to do and a lot is lost.

This statement tells me that your experience with dealing with someone with substance abuse is practically nil.

If you did...you would know why there might be empty beds.

I hope you never have to find out, especially if you are dealing with a friend or loved one...if you ever do, your tune will change. And I sincerely hope you don't: it is hard, it is hurtful, it is painful and so, so, so ****ing difficult to do and a lot is lost.
Because addicts don’t want to get clean unless they are forced to.

The best thing you can do for addicts is to make their life a living hell until they have no choice but to get better

Back
Top Bottom