• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeSantis bans homeless from sleeping on public property

Looks like this evil man, and his evil supporters, would like to drive their homeless to live in states with leadership that better support Christin principles. Rather ironic given how De Satan likes to portray himself.

As my sig will attest, I DeTest DeSpicable. But to be fair, the OP omitted some relevant quotes from the article:

It also promises the homeless greater access to services for issues such as substance abuse and mental health problems.

The state Department of Children and Families would oversee local governments that set up designated areas for the homeless to camp for up to a year under the new law, which takes effect Oct. 1. Anyone using those encampments would be prohibited from using alcohol or illegal drugs, with sanitation and security to be provided.

The encampments would be created if local homeless shelters reach maximum capacity, according a news release from the governor’s office. The law requires regional entities to provide necessary behavioral treatment access as a condition of a county or city creating an encampment.

Of course it remains to be seen how well this will be implemented.

Unenforceable, walk one night in Miami and see the scope of the problem.

Filling the jails with homeless every night won't fix the issue.

I guess he wants them on private property.
Good, don't need to litter up the public property, don't need to take the chance of more crime, more drugs on public property. All those homeless need to go to shelters, get jobs, or move out to California.

California only clears them off of public property when they want to wash the shit off the streets to impress the Chinese government.

As my sig will attest, I DeTest DeSpicable. But to be fair, the OP omitted some relevant quotes from the article:

Thanks. Some of these measures seem reasonable.

Allowing local councils to operate camping grounds would be good policy, except that a state law forbidding homeless to camp on any other public property creates a huge NIMBY problem. Suppose it's just one local government district, then they'd have to harbor every homeless person in the state.

Also government has no right to forbid a person to drink alcohol in the privacy of their own tent. There should be no conditions at all on what local government has to enforce, though requiring them to provide sanitation, trash removal and police presence does make sense.

You're an American and can enjoy our public spaces until you need any help, then you're an eyesore, and must go away, far far away!!!
Yeah, because having derelicts in the park reduces enjoyment for others,

There’s a public park in my hometown that I used to go running through the backwoods of in high school, it was cool. Then last year I brought my wife there and we were walking the running trail and we had to turn around because of aggressive bums blocking the trails with their tents and drinking.

Why are the cops rounding them up and housing them in jail?

Right wingers would rather poor people just off themselves or not exist than do anything to fix or even discuss the root causes of poverty.

Real Jesus like.
The root causes are often addiction or mental illness. Mental illness needs to be treated with lunatic asylums and addicts don’t change until they’ve hit bottom so frequent arrests are necessary to force them to change

Unenforceable, walk one night in Miami and see the scope of the problem.

Filling the jails with homeless every night won't fix the issue.
You will need more jails then.

We also need Singapore level punishments for drug dealers. Being caught with fentanyl should be a death penalty event.

The root causes are often addiction or mental illness. Mental illness needs to be treated with lunatic asylums and addicts don’t change until they’ve hit bottom so frequent arrests are necessary to force them to change

Well OK, but both of those things are going to cost you money.

You will need more jails then.

We also need Singapore level punishments for drug dealers. Being caught with fentanyl should be a death penalty event.

Singapore doesn't have constitutional protection of individual rights. You want to give those up? Just to double down on the failed policy of treating drug addiction as a supply problem rather than a medical problem?

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if you do. Amend the constitution, right?

Good, don't need to litter up the public property, don't need to take the chance of more crime, more drugs on public property. All those homeless need to go to shelters, get jobs, or move out to California.
So, they can't sleep on public property.

They can't sleep on private property.

There are only about 1/3 of the shelter beds necessary (depending on the place).

And if they were capable of getting jobs with their mental illnesses and addictions, they already would have.

So what do you suggest they do?

What would Jesus do with them?

Maybe they can sleep in the manger.

People shouldn’t have to be homeless. While some may perceive it as a lifestyle choice, many homeless people suffer from mental illness and need support. Addressing homelessness isn't solely the responsibility of politicians; it's a responsibility of people within the surrounding community . If you've lived in a city for years and are indifferent to the increasing number of homeless people, it reflects something about you as well

Allowing local councils to operate camping grounds would be good policy, except that a state law forbidding homeless to camp on any other public property creates a huge NIMBY problem. Suppose it's just one local government district, then they'd have to harbor every homeless person in the state.

Also government has no right to forbid a person to drink alcohol in the privacy of their own tent. There should be no conditions at all on what local government has to enforce, though requiring them to provide sanitation, trash removal and police presence does make sense.

I posted the clarification you quoted because, as evidenced by most replies in this thread, the OP is misleading. I'm not interested in further debate but I will respond to your comments as they also call for clarification.

The law allows, but does not require, a local council to designate homeless camping area(s) on public land within its jurisdiction. Once an area is designated, it must be certified by the Department of Children and Families as meeting standards of sanitation, security, etc. Obviously to meet those standards, occupancy must be limited to a maximum number. So a locality can limit the homeless population it serves simply by limiting the area(s) it designates. The law does require localities to disallow camping in undesignated areas. Whether they will enforce that remains to be seen.

There are plenty of public places that have rules, including prohibiting alcohol whether in a tent or otherwise. If one uses such a place, they are expected to follow its rules.

Lunatic Asylums? You guys really want to take us way back huh

Why can't we try and fix the root of the problem, instead of just shuffling it around town?

I'm getting a bit tired of the feigning ignorance around the homeless problem, every person in our country is a member of our society, and is equal to you and me.

Like most politicians with connections to the prison-industrial complex, they just want the homeless in prison where they can be "reformed" into slave labor for private companies. That's what this is really about.

If they can't sleep on public or private property, and shelters are limited or unsafe, then I think there is a higher court case that could be made here about a violation of Constitutional rights.

There's also something to be said about enforcement. Does DeSantis really expect the police to round up every homeless person sleeping on the streets?

These Christians are so unchristlike. All the money that will be spent on imprisoning them (on the tax payer dime) could be spend building shelters.

It’s funny to see people criticise California for its high level of homeless people and also suggest that the solution to homelessness in other states is to send the homeless to California.

Back
Top Bottom