• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrat Congressman Calls Tea Party “White Crackers”… Where’s the Outrage?

In the case of the Tea Party, the shoe fits. They endorse a lot of racist positions. That is, they, a group almost exclusively composed of white, heterosexual Christians, endorse a lot of positions that hurt anyone who isn't white, heterosexual, or Christian. Also they endorse a lot of positions that hurt women, but I have no idea about the gender demographics of the Tea Party.

Nothing to see here other than yet another example of a wrong-wing bigot psychologically-projecting his own bigotry on his opposition.

One White Cracker comment is equivalent to thousands of racial insults at Obama in 6 years from GOP TEA-turds .

Sorry but just because one has a perception of racism against the president, does not excuse a comment such as cracker.

How dare you have white crackers with tea. Every one knows you're supposed to have crumpets.

i thought it was scones or buisciuts?

One of those seats the GOP feels is a waste of resources to contest I guess.

it is a heavily liberal area the only way you would win is with a RINO. so it really isn't worth the effort.

I'm fairly certain that cracker specifically refers to racist white people, or at least a reference to the systematic oppression of blacks. There's really no equivalence between the use of a pejorative like this by a member of an oppressed minority group and the use of one by a member of the majority in power. It's never the word that matters, it's the systematic discrimination that it represents. And despite the whining of a few people who confuse loss of privilege with discrimination, there is no systematic discrimination of whites. Or males. Or Christians. Or heterosexuals. But there is systematic discrimination of basically everyone else.

In the case of the Tea Party, the shoe fits. They endorse a lot of racist positions. That is, they, a group almost exclusively composed of white, heterosexual Christians, endorse a lot of positions that hurt anyone who isn't white, heterosexual, or Christian. Also they endorse a lot of positions that hurt women, but I have no idea about the gender demographics of the Tea Party.

There is, again, simply no equivalence. Calling someone a cracker is not the same as pretty much any other slur, because cracker has never been indicative of systematic oppression. That's why the left isn't outraged. It's never the word that stirs outrage. It's the systematic oppression. Meanwhile the right gets up in arms over the words, and supports the systematic oppression.

Nope sorry. I'll agree that cracker doesn't have the same baggage that's associated with other slurs, but it doesn't matter. In congress you shouldn't be calling whole groups of people racial slurs, and that's exactly what it is, a racial slur. Even if it did mean only "racist" white people, it's still inappropriate because the majority of the tea party isn't racist. They're mostly dim witted morons, but not racist.

For those that may not know...

Cracker: Originally the white slave driver because he would "crack" the whip, hence the noun cracker.​

sorry, not all slave drivers/overseers were white. The term seems to be of some Georgia origin. I was called a cracker quite a bit. I guess I forgot about the 300 years of oppression of the white man so i didnt get offended. But I am outraged at calling the tea party crackers. Cracker is not a substitute for "racist ignoramus who would destroy his own country because he wasnt getting his way"

While I'm certainly not condoning Rangel's words, which are unbefitting a Congressman, why do some people get so horribly offended at "cracker," as if it's somehow remotely equivalent to the N-word?

While I'm certainly not condoning Rangel's words, which are unbefitting a Congressman, why do some people get so horribly offended at "cracker," as if it's somehow remotely equivalent to the N-word?

Maybe they get offended because they feel it's horribly offensive. Are you claiming they have no right to be horribly offended?

Maybe they get offended because they feel it's horribly offensive. Are you claiming they have no right to be horribly offended?

When did I say that? I just have no idea why someone would get so irate over "cracker." It is not a word that was used to denigrate and subjugate people for hundreds of years like the N-word. Anyone who's acting like it is needs to get some perspective.

When did I say that?
I'm asking a question not stating you said that. :roll:
I just have no idea why someone would get so irate over "cracker."
I just told you why.

It is not a word that was used to denigrate and subjugate people for hundreds of years like the N-word. Anyone who's acting like it is needs to get some perspective.
What rule states a word must a word denigrate and subjugate to be offensive?

What rule states a word must a word denigrate and subjugate to be offensive?

I never said it did. However, I think it kinda has to for people to treat it as the white equivalent to the N-word.

I never said it did. However, I think it kinda has to for people to treat it as the white equivalent to the N-word.

Why does it have to be the equivalent.... Can't it just be offensive?

Why does it have to be the equivalent.... Can't it just be offensive?

I didn't say it was equivalent. I said people are treating it as if it were equivalent.

Do you always do this?

I didn't say it was equivalent. I said people are treating it as if it were equivalent.

Do you always do this?

Irrelevant. Treating it as equivalent or equivalent... why can't it just be offensive?

Irrelevant. Treating it as equivalent or equivalent... why can't it just be offensive?

/sigh

Because there's nothing offensive about it, that's why.

Ooooh, he called me a cracker. Oh noes.

/sigh

Because there's nothing offensive about it, that's why.

Ooooh, he called me a cracker. Oh noes.

It's a good thing you're little opinion only is important to you. Because you don't agree or cannot understand it doesn't invalidate their view of what is or is not offensive. Get it?

It's a good thing you're little opinion only is important to you. Because you don't agree or cannot understand it doesn't invalidate their view of what is or is not offensive. Get it?

If someone wants to get offended by it, be my guest.

However, don't treat it as equivalent to the N-word, because it's not. Period. End of discussion.

If someone wants to get offended by it, be my guest.
Swell. I think we really made progress here.

However, don't treat it as equivalent to the N-word, because it's not. Period. End of discussion.

Oops. Spoke too soon.....You're the only person bringing up equivalency, so more irrelevance.

Oops. Spoke too soon.....You're the only person bringing up equivalency, so more irrelevance.

The outrage being displayed by some here is similar to the kind of outrage one would expect over a genuine racial slur.

The outrage being displayed by some here is similar to the kind of outrage one would expect over a genuine racial slur.

Your opinion is noted.

Your opinion is noted.

Cool story, bro.

Of course, if you read the ****ing thread title, you'd see right there: "where's the outrage"?

There's no outrage because cracker really isn't particularly offensive.

Back
Top Bottom