• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cancel the Debate! CNN Caught Selectively-Editing Trump’s ‘Muslim’ Comments

With one important difference: the message from one video after the edits are removed remains unchanged, whereas the message from another without the edits becomes something remarkably less sinister.

You can't compare the two.

That is a whole different subject that we will disagree on.

That is a whole different subject that we will disagree on.

I'm not referring to the topic of abortion -- I know we're not going to agree on that. By "remarkably less sinister" I'm referring to the content of the conversation being claimed to take place.

I'm not referring to the topic of abortion -- I know we're not going to agree on that. By "remarkably less sinister" I'm referring to the content of the conversation being claimed to take place.

I think we would actually agree on abortion. It isn't anybody's business if a woman wants an abortion.

I don't trust any news agency when it comes to intent, especially when it comes to editing video. NBC is famous for their botch jobs. CBS had to pay millions for one of their intentional editing adventures.

The video that CNN edited made their headline.

"Trump would 'certainly implement' national database for U.S. Muslims"

What was actually said was:
Reporter: Should there be a database system that tracks Muslims who are in this country?

Trump: There should be a lot of systems, beyond databases. We should have a lot of systems, and today you can do it. But right now we need to have a border, we have to have strength, we have to have a wall, and we cannot let what’s happening to this country happen any longer.

Reporter: Is that something your White House would like to implement?

Donald Trump: I would certainly implement that. Absolutely.

The part that CNN removed is the bolded text. It is not clear Trump whether Trump was talking about strengthening immigration, or all Muslims. If you remove the part that they did it makes he is definitely talking about all Muslims, regardless of their immigration status or citizenship. It changes the statement.

I just asked you a simple question so I could get some context as to where you were coming from. If you want to do the white flag thing then go for it.

Excuse me?

Your post:

I don't feel bad about anything anyone says anymore. They edited the video. .

My response:

Then why don't you tell me why I'm wrong about how the English language works?

I certainly don't think they should be editing anything out of the statement, but I also don't reach the same conclusion. Blue commentary is mine.

From OP:

The left-wing liars at CNN have intentionally edited the video to make it look as though Trump said “absolutely” to a Muslim registry. What CNN edited out is in bold:

Reporter: Should there be a database system that tracks Muslims who are in this country?

Trump: There should be a lot of systems, beyond databases. We should have a lot of systems, and today you can do it. But right now we need to have a border, we have to have strength, we have to have a wall, and we cannot let what’s happening to this country happen any longer.

[Assuming that he intended his words to have their ordinary meaning in English, this response means he (1) agrees that there should be databases to track all muslims in the country, (2) he thinks there should be "a lot of systems, beyond databases" in addition, (3) wants strength, and (4) wants a wall. If you edit out the bolded, it makes it look like he said the ONLY thing he wanted was a database + systems beyond a database. That's inaccurate, but not inaccurate in the way that OP wants it to be. He wants databases + systems beyond databases + strength + a wall. ]

Reporter: Is that something your White House would like to implement?

Donald Trump: I would certainly implement that. Absolutely.

Again, here the editing makes it look like the only thing he would implement was databases of muslims and lots of systems beyond those databases. That is inaccurate. As discussed above, what he was actually agreeing should be implemented was databases + systems beyond databases + strength + a wall. That's just how English works.

Trump’s “absolutely” is clearly in reference to strengthening the border. Look at the whole transcript. When the NBC News reporter asks, “Is that something your White House would like to implement?,” Trump has just talked about fortifying the border and obviously believes that is what the NBC reporter is referring to.
CNN edited that out!

No. Where neither the reporter nor Trump identify one of the four things he said we should be doing, the pronoun "that" is taken to refer to the list of things he said we should be doing. Not simply the last of the things he said we should be doing.

Bob: I want a pepperoni pizza, a beer, and a napkin

Joe: Is that something you'd like in one hour?

Bob: Yes, I would.

Bob has obviously just said that in one hour, he wants a pepperoni pizza, a beer, and a napkin. Nobody would interpret this exchange as an expression of desire for a napkin and just a napkin.

Why are you insisting that Bob was specifying that he only wanted a napkin?

Your white flag:

Do think that we should let refugees in the country without vetting them?

Your second white flag:

I just asked you a simple question so I could get some context as to where you were coming from. If you want to do the white flag thing then go for it.

Put your white flag down and answer my analysis of the supposed "editing". You have twice dodged it now.

Excuse me?

Put your white flag down and answer my analysis of the supposed "editing". You have twice dodged it now.

I read through that wall of garbage. If it takes you that much twisting and turning to get to a point it isn't worth reading. I still disagree with your spin.

I asked you if you think it is a good idea to let refugees into the country without being vetted and you refused to answer that one simple question.

TRIGGER WARNING (I always wanted to do that)
This is from BreitBart so I am not making a claim as they are as questionable ad Media Matters or HuffPo. I tried to verify this with other articles but this is the only article I can find. I watched the video and it looks legit but I didn't spend a lot of time on it as I have to meet for dinner with my family pretty quick.

Cancel the Debate! CNN Caught Selectively-Editing Trump's 'Muslim' Comments - Breitbart

The video is inconclusive at best. After the edit, which I agree is dubious, the reporter then asks, "Specifically, how do you get them registered in your database?"

Trump responds, "It would be good management. What you have to do is good management procedures, and we can do that."

The reporter than asks, "Do you go to mosques to sign these people up?"

Trump answers, "Different places. You sign them up in different--but it's all about management."

In the last part of the video, which doesn't seem to be edited, he clearly addresses the question about how to implement a database with a serious answer. He doesn't laugh in the reporter's face. He doesn't tell him to get lost.

Strange how Breitbart left this part out of the transcript.

I dont know about all that. But I do know that the debate will give CNN way more viewers than they normally have. But, they not as bad as msnbc yet. Good god lol

I read through that wall of garbage. If it takes you that much twisting and turning to get to a point it isn't worth reading.

:lamo

I guess that's one way to "admit" that you lied about the editing.

Back
Top Bottom