• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baldur's Gate 3 a true D&D experience

I'm in training for BG3.

Um - I've never played a full scale turn based RPG like BG3 before.

So I just finished up my second playthrough of Elden Ring (1st Quality with Bloodhounds Fang, 2nd as a DEX/INT ninja/caster) with 643.7 hours. I was looking for something different and instead of BG3 I have Wasteland 3 in my library that I picked up on deep sale a long time ago. Figure it will be good training in concepts of how to play the genre, not that the mechanics will be the same. Kind of get into the right mind-set as it were.

[EDIT: The closest relative style was XCOM and XCOM2, but BG3 and Wasteland 3 seem like a much more in depth environment.]

WW
It's not too complicated in playing. What's complicated it all the choices there are and trying to find all the secrets and quests.

It's so good. There are 174 hours of cutscene voice-acted dialogue in the game.

My only complaint so far, but it's not really a complaint since it is the nature of the AD&D system, is that roles and responsibilities in the groups are drawn with such bold lines that you almost feel obligated to keep a member of your team that you don't like for no other reason than they have a skill that nobody else does.

I rather like the Pillars of Eternity method where, after some play, you can make a completely custom team full of hand made characters, but I realize that that would severely hamper the story telling.

It is good, very good. In fact, I just now shut it down for the night, having enjoyed my playtime again tonight. It very much has a Baldur's Gate feel, while also having very much a Divinity Original Sin feel, and that is a good thing. The story is strong, the party members you can get are great, the side quests are good, the pre-generated players are good, the UI is great(except I do not see a way to scale the UI), the graphics are great. Cannot recommend the game enough.
Which one of the companions is your favorite and why is it Karlach? 😍

Glad they made sure Bards will be able to get the full DnD experience too 😎
Bards are really good, tbh. I'm doing a monk, because I've always been a Chinese Kung Fu movie junkie, and they didn't have it in early access.

The first playthrough is taking me a long time, because I want to do/find everything. My next ones will be a bit shorter. I just don't know what I'll play. I'm currently looking at necromancer/spore druid (they both rez dead minions) or a moondruid (they do better wild shapes) or one of the bard classes...I dunno...so many options.

Ive played all the D&D PC games since Pool of Radiance. I'll probably buy this when the first round of patches comes out.
They did early access for 3 years so it's pretty finished and not in need of patches so much.

Reactions: PoS
For me it's in-person board games with friends/family every few months and then NHL 2K and Magic Arena with a couple friends online. No kids yet for us, but the mini dachshund is enough of a handful on his own. 😄

I wish I could find enough friends interested in doing a D&D campaign. Most of them will play MTG and 40K, but no D&D yet. I played a bit with my students when I sponsored a Tabletop Club but I never got to play when I was younger as my parents were very much a part of the 'Satanic Panic' demographic.
Rofl....my parents where all about the Satanic Panic too, but I snuck some gaming in with one of my friends.

I never got to play when I was younger as my parents were very much a part of the 'Satanic Panic' demographic.

I played weekly with 5 very good friends in the 80's but this was in the UK so there was no "satanic panic" even though we all also used to go see Iron Maiden regularly when they played in our area and all had huge Eddie artwork stitched or painted onto our denim jackets.

I think our parents were just happy the nerds in the family had like-minded souls to waste evenings with.

I got Baldur's Gate 3 for the PS5 last week. Dear God this is an excellent game. Love the story. Love the characters and the writing. Love the character options. Love the combat and how minute attention to detail pays of so well. I'm probably going to get lost in this for the next two months like I did with Elden Ring.

My only issue with Baldur's Gate 3 is they threw out a bunch of very much intended and needed balance checks and limits for 5E (holy Christ why does Haste give you a full action?! Are they nuts? Why does Fear, a mere L3 spell, now effectively mass immobilize + disadvantage with no save?!), some powers are utterly broken (looking at you Luck of the Far Realms and Perilous Strikes) and some of the bosses, including one optional superboss, can be way too easily cheesed thanks to lacking obvious things like Legendary Resistance.

I get wanting to make your game exactly as difficult as the player chooses and there's definitely something to be said for that, but c'mon, Tactician difficulty at least should have the traditional 5E balance/rules and dispense with the broken nonsense, and superbosses that have their very own theme song which Larian clearly intended to be difficult should actually be a challenge as opposed to a bad, anti-climatic joke.

Fortunately these things are easily fixed with a trivial balance patch.

The game is pretty fun, it seems to follow the trend from baldurs gate 2 in the dnd style game as an actual computer game that follows somewhat close to the pen and paper board game. The best aspect of this game which is similar to the dragon age series in decisions is the fact that not only can you choose your own path, but every single action has a consequence. Sometimes playing the good guy yields evil results and sometimes thinking evil ends up benefitting others in a good way.

It is an adventure style where there is no handholding, you are free to choose and explore but burdened with the reaction from every one of your actions.

Back
Top Bottom