• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baldur's Gate 3 a true D&D experience

Fishking

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I have been playing the Baldur's Gate games since it first came out in 1998. I've played Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale. BG3 is a true successor and more. I've had it on early access, and there is just so. much. detail. and choice in it. In the early access there was just Act I of III acts. They've even made a good amount of changes to Act I to be different than what we played in early access. I've been off work since it's been out so I've had free reign and have put in about 30 hrs and I'm still not done with Act I, and I have a good bit to go still.

The NPCs that you can recruit into your party seem to have very developed backstories, and likely potential to get more into them in further acts.

The game is also VERY mature. I mean, you can even choose from an assortment of penis shapes for males and vulvas for females (there is a toggled option to remove genitals). Apparently there is also fairly graphic sexual relations in the game as well, straight, gay, w/e (there is an infamous clip out there of bear sex that I think was a scene where a druid wildshaped into a bear for it :ROFLMAO: ). There is language and mature subjects, ect. It does not shy away.

There are no items or advantage hidden behind microtransactions or any such thing. You get everything the game has to offer with it's purchase, a rarity these days (**** Diablo 4, I ain't buying it, especially since it's all online). This is a 10/10 game that will get a lot of playthroughs for me. I suggest anyone thinking/wanting to play a very well developed RPG to get this game. It's fun and we should reward Larian Studios for the job that they did and give the middle finger to all the AAA game developers out there that absolutely suck. There was even some drama online from other game developers telling games not to have their standards raised by BG3.

I have been playing the Baldur's Gate games since it first came out in 1998. I've played Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale. BG3 is a true successor and more. I've had it on early access, and there is just so. much. detail. and choice in it. In the early access there was just Act I of III acts. They've even made a good amount of changes to Act I to be different than what we played in early access. I've been off work since it's been out so I've had free reign and have put in about 30 hrs and I'm still not done with Act I, and I have a good bit to go still.

The NPCs that you can recruit into your party seem to have very developed backstories, and likely potential to get more into them in further acts.

The game is also VERY mature. I mean, you can even choose from an assortment of penis shapes for males and vulvas for females (there is a toggled option to remove genitals). Apparently there is also fairly graphic sexual relations in the game as well, straight, gay, w/e (there is an infamous clip out there of bear sex that I think was a scene where a druid wildshaped into a bear for it :ROFLMAO: ). There is language and mature subjects, ect. It does not shy away.

There are no items or advantage hidden behind microtransactions or any such thing. You get everything the game has to offer with it's purchase, a rarity these days (**** Diablo 4, I ain't buying it, especially since it's all online). This is a 10/10 game that will get a lot of playthroughs for me. I suggest anyone thinking/wanting to play a very well developed RPG to get this game. It's fun and we should reward Larian Studios for the job that they did and give the middle finger to all the AAA game developers out there that absolutely suck. There was even some drama online from other game developers telling games not to have their standards raised by BG3.

Glad to hear your feedback, Fishking. My wife and I both were interested in checking it out, and I think I will be making the purchase.

It is good, very good. In fact, I just now shut it down for the night, having enjoyed my playtime again tonight. It very much has a Baldur's Gate feel, while also having very much a Divinity Original Sin feel, and that is a good thing. The story is strong, the party members you can get are great, the side quests are good, the pre-generated players are good, the UI is great(except I do not see a way to scale the UI), the graphics are great. Cannot recommend the game enough.

Apparently there is also fairly graphic sexual relations in the game as well, straight, gay, w/e (there is an infamous clip out there of bear sex that I think was a scene where a druid wildshaped into a bear for it :ROFLMAO: ).
Glad they made sure Bards will be able to get the full DnD experience too 😎

It looks like it runs well on the steam deck too.

I guess I will buy the steam version.

Man...I'm so sucked into this game. Screw sleep!

Ive played all the D&D PC games since Pool of Radiance. I'll probably buy this when the first round of patches comes out.

Looks fun and I'm sure one day I'll get it. Right now I have a huge Steam backlog to get through thanks to Humble Bundle and Disco Elysium was the headliner for this month.

If anyone needs help with something, let me know. I have a bit of time on my hands rn, so I can put it into the game, plus having early access.
My friend showed it to me over the weekend.

I'm thinking of buying it. Sadly, Diablo IV quickly gave me flashbacks of the time I spent, wasted, playing Diablo II all those years ago. Seems I can't be bothered anymore; a waste of money, but at least I my time is saved.

I've been playing Rome II of late, and it's a good game, but it is not the one.

Looks fun and I'm sure one day I'll get it. Right now I have a huge Steam backlog to get through thanks to Humble Bundle.

I can sympathize. I cannot get through video games anymore like I used to. It takes me too long to to complete them, and with a three year old and a nine month old kid, it is difficult to find the time and headspace. Especially RPGs or Strategy games. Right now we buy one game every six months at most, and my wife plays far more right now than I do. So I concentrate my limited time and energy on prepping and playing in-person D&D games for our friends.

I'm thinking of buying it. Sadly, Diablo IV quickly gave me flashbacks of the time I spent, wasted, playing Diablo II all those years ago. Seems I can't be bothered anymore; a waste of money, but at least I my time is saved.

Seriously. Diablo IV certainly looks pretty, but if I am going to spend precious hours on something I would prefer something with a more engrossing story...not just spending a couple hundred hours of my life carving my way across the variegated landscapes killing hordes of demons and zombies. And as @Fishking said, I am totally uninterested in being milked for microtransactions or be forced to play a combat RPG where I have to constantly be online.

I can sympathize. I cannot get through video games anymore like I used to. It takes me too long to to complete them, and with a three year old and a nine month old kid, it is difficult to find the time and headspace. Especially RPGs or Strategy games. Right now we buy one game every six months at most, and my wife plays far more right now than I do. So I concentrate my limited time and energy on prepping and playing in-person D&D games for our friends.

For me it's in-person board games with friends/family every few months and then NHL 2K and Magic Arena with a couple friends online. No kids yet for us, but the mini dachshund is enough of a handful on his own. 😄

I wish I could find enough friends interested in doing a D&D campaign. Most of them will play MTG and 40K, but no D&D yet. I played a bit with my students when I sponsored a Tabletop Club but I never got to play when I was younger as my parents were very much a part of the 'Satanic Panic' demographic.

A good, committed DM makes a RPG work, and it sounds like you have that fire.

For me it's in-person board games with friends/family every few months and then NHL 2K and Magic Arena with a couple friends online. No kids yet for us, but the mini dachshund is enough of a handful on his own. 😄

I wish I could find enough friends interested in doing a D&D campaign. Most of them will play MTG and 40K, but no D&D yet. I played a bit with my students when I sponsored a Tabletop Club but I never got to play when I was younger as my parents were very much a part of the 'Satanic Panic' demographic.
Bummer about your parents.

My mother bought me an original 1st edition of D&D back when it came out, and I wish I'd never opened it, tossed it in some corner instead. It would be worth good money now, but I did have a lot of fun, so....

I hear that. I always had poor luck getting a gaming group together when I was in high school and college. I thankfully fell in with a great group of TTRPG players who became my best friends shortly after I graduated from law school and moved back down to California, and my wife loves to play too. I was pretty damn lucky, because I found one of them at a game store who invited me into the group. I guess it's all just a matter of putting yourself out there. But again, I got pretty damn lucky.

Bummer about your parents.

I think the Lord of the Rings movie series kind of softened them on it. It was like, 'Oh, wait, there's wizards and sorcery in this series written by a Christian? Okay, maybe fantasy isn't all bad.' 😄

My mother bought me an original 1st edition of D&D back when it first came out, and I wish I'd never opened it, tossed it in some corner instead. It would be worth good money now, but I did have a lot of fun, so....

I think about all the Magic: The Gathering cards I could've collected in the 90s that would be worth big money today. I'd go to the card shop with my dad (he and I collected sports cards) and I tried so hard to convince him to buy one of the moxes for around $70-80. They're now worth thousands.

Looks fun and I'm sure one day I'll get it. Right now I have a huge Steam backlog to get through thanks to Humble Bundle and Disco Elysium was the headliner for this month.
Disco Elysium was awesome and highly original. Kept me going for a few weeks. The only thing I hated was the long load times even though it was mostly text based.

I'm in training for BG3.

Um - I've never played a full scale turn based RPG like BG3 before.

So I just finished up my second playthrough of Elden Ring (1st Quality with Bloodhounds Fang, 2nd as a DEX/INT ninja/caster) with 643.7 hours. I was looking for something different and instead of BG3 I have Wasteland 3 in my library that I picked up on deep sale a long time ago. Figure it will be good training in concepts of how to play the genre, not that the mechanics will be the same. Kind of get into the right mind-set as it were.

[EDIT: The closest relative style was XCOM and XCOM2, but BG3 and Wasteland 3 seem like a much more in depth environment.]

WW

Last edited:
I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's not quite Planescape: Torment, but it's pretty close.

I have a weird problem though. You see, I have gotten so used to contrived, non-sense story lines in PC games these days that I skip through the dialogue so that I can get back to playing the game. I have become accustomed to running a podcast of YouTube video during my gaming sessions to multitask my relaxation time.

The "problem" is that BG3 is polished and the dialogue is interesting so I can't do the podcast accompaniment since I want to listen to and watch the dialogue.

I have to adjust to the old ways....

Seriously. Diablo IV certainly looks pretty, but if I am going to spend precious hours on something I would prefer something with a more engrossing story...not just spending a couple hundred hours of my life carving my way across the variegated landscapes killing hordes of demons and zombies. And as @Fishking said, I am totally uninterested in being milked for microtransactions or be forced to play a combat RPG where I have to constantly be online.
The storyline in BG3 is ridiculously developed, with full voice acting through cut scenes, that's really well done.

I'm gonna do D4, there are things I heard about it that made me lose interest, and that you can do offline/solo play doesn't do it for Mr.

I watched some vids on PoE2, that's coming out in 2024, and that will be what scratches my ARPG itch.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's not quite Planescape: Torment, but it's pretty close.

I have a weird problem though. You see, I have gotten so used to contrived, non-sense story lines in PC games these days that I skip through the dialogue so that I can get back to playing the game. I have become accustomed to running a podcast of YouTube video during my gaming sessions to multitask my relaxation time.

The "problem" is that BG3 is polished and the dialogue is interesting so I can't do the podcast accompaniment since I want to listen to and watch the dialogue.

I have to adjust to the old ways....
It's so good. There are 174 hours of cutscene voice-acted dialogue in the game.

I'm a Total War: Warhammer person, but I love that series.

Do it. Do it! DO IT!! Get the game.

Back
Top Bottom