• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Attack by truck in Nice, France * dozens feared dead [W:15,W:30]

Well if they are like Montreal, they do block it, but using metal barriers that are great at stopping people and small vehicles but not a truck. If you wanted to stop this from happening they would need to erect barriers like those in Northern Ireland, giant concrete walls.
Where laying out a "spike chain" would not have completely incapacitated a truck, it sure would have slowed it down. If you're going to block from traffic, show that you mean business.

Sure, 20/20 hindsight but usage of heavy vehicles in attacking crowds is not as much a first as everybody is still claiming.

Where laying out a "spike chain" would not have completely incapacitated a truck, it sure would have slowed it down. If you're going to block from traffic, show that you mean business.

Sure, 20/20 hindsight but usage of heavy vehicles in attacking crowds is not as much a first as everybody is still claiming.

Like I said Northern Ireland, they are experts on dealing with terrorists and vehicles.

Friend of mine there told me today that there were only a few cops to be seen at the event before that attack happened. "Few" here being a relative term when comparing yesterday to the previous weeks of the EURO 2016. On the 4 days when matches took place there, the place was locked down with police and military to an extent that a gnat could hardly get in.

Second hand information though, as she is the first to readily admit. Where she saw the place during the matches, she was at home nearby yesterday. But she was in Nice today and apparently the locals are incensed at the lack of security last night.

The promenade wasn't even blocked by say two police cars at each end. Easy enough to do.

Sounds like security breathed a sigh of relief and fell into lax. Much too early.

10 Children Dead; Tunisian Immigrant was Driver in Nice Attack

NICE, France — A Tunisian-born émigré with a record of petty crime was behind the wheel of a truck that barreled into Bastille Day revelers and claimed at least 84 lives over a mile-long path of horror, a French prosecutor said Friday, as investigators explored possible links to Islamist militant networks.

The driver was identified as 31-year-old Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, whose identity documents, cellphone and bank card were found inside the 19-ton truck used in Thursday’s carnage along a palm-lined French Riviera corniche in Nice, according to Paris Prosecutor François Molins. He said 10 children were among the dead and that 202 people were injured, more than 50 of them critically. Twenty-five, he said, remained comatose.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ce56da-4a74-11e6-acbc-4d4870a079da_story.html
niceterror1507a2.jpg

Beyond words, just appalling. I hope Europe reconsiders who they let around their children.

Re: 10 Children Dead; Tunisian Immigrant was Driver in Nice Attack

Moderator's Warning:
Threads merged as there is already a current active thread relating to the Nice terror attack. Please do not start multiple threads on this topic.

You don't? Why not?

Because I don't need to see a child's body wrapped up to know the horror inflicted on Nice. It's a shock tactic used by the media to sell papers and get internet clicks. What about some respect for the family who just lost their child? If that was one of my little boys I would die inside if their remains were posted online.
This isn’t liveleak its debate politics, we debate we don’t need to stoop to that level.

Because I don't need to see a child's body wrapped up to know the horror inflicted on Nice. It's a shock tactic used by the media to sell papers and get internet clicks. What about some respect for the family who just lost their child? If that was one of my little boys I would die inside if their remains were posted online.
This isn’t liveleak its debate politics, we debate we don’t need to stoop to that level.

Knowing that 85 people were slaughtered at once isn't the same as facing the reality of it.

It's quite easy for people to hear about something, but their mind can't really grasp the severity of it.

Post WW2, Germans were shown the horrors of the concentration camps in person, and very few of them were prepared for the reality they encountered. This helped cement the idea to Germans that such barbarity should never be tolerated again.

I don't want to see Germany or Europe forget vital lessons that should carry on for as long as possible. Namely, if you turn your back to extremism, because you aren't personally effected by it, others will suffer.

Knowing that 85 people were slaughtered at once isn't the same as facing the reality of it.

It's quite easy for people to hear about something, but their mind can't really grasp the severity of it.

Post WW2, Germans were shown the horrors of the concentration camps in person, and very few of them were prepared for the reality they encountered. This helped cement the idea to Germans that such barbarity should never be tolerated again.

I don't want to see Germany or Europe forget vital lessons that should carry on for as long as possible. Namely, if you turn your back to extremism, because you aren't personally effected by it, others will suffer.

Your comparing night and day. We live in a society where you can see anything at a click of a button, I don't like it but I can't stop it. I'm just asking you to have respect for other posters, we come on here to chat and debate not look at a dead child. If your going to do it put it in a link so it's optional.

Your comparing night and day. We live in a society where you can see anything at a click of a button, I don't like it but I can't stop it. I'm just asking you to have respect for other posters, we come on here to chat and debate not look at a dead child. If your going to do it put it in a link so it's optional.

It was in an entirely different thread that got merged here by a mod.

It's irrelevant you posted it. Never seen a picture like that in the years I've posted here. Been there done that seen enough **** don't need to see that. Just put it in a link.

........and what does that have to do with your posting manner finding distaste as described? You think that posting stuff like that in a different thread makes your conduct sacrosanct? Puts you above criticism?

........and what does that have to do with your posting manner finding distaste as described? You think that posting stuff like that in a different thread makes your conduct sacrosanct? Puts you above criticism?

Try that argument running in front off a truck going 70 miles an hour. The horror should be pounded home. It might result in some concrete action.

Last edited:
Hey CJ, I know it continues to be hard for you to grasp, but why would you be on my ignore list if I had any interest in your posts? Interest like in being able to read them or even remotely consider their content. You DO know how the ignore function works, doncha?

Hint: pushing the "reply with quote" button on them doesn't make your response visible.

I'll remind you on a weekly basis if you like. Heck, since I won't be able to know what you like, I'll do it anyway.

Hey CJ, I know it continues to be hard for you to grasp, but why would you be on my ignore list if I had any interest in your posts? Interest like in being able to read them or even remotely consider their content. You DO know how the ignore function works, doncha?

Hint: pushing the "reply with quote" button on them doesn't make your response visible.

I'll remind you on a weekly basis if you like. Heck, since I won't be able to know what you like, I'll do it anyway.

I understand the how the ignore function works. If it bothers you, stop posting.

Gah, on some people explanations are totally wasted. :roll:

Trying again: I get a notification of having been quoted, I can't read the post though. On account of not wanting to either, I'll add "thankfully".

Now is that sinking in or what?

Gah, on some people explanations are totally wasted. :roll:

Trying again: I get a notification of having been quoted, I can't read the post though. On account of not wanting to either, I'll add "thankfully".

Now is that sinking in or what?

I guess the answer is no. Remember I cannot reply unless you post.

Whatever this next one is now, it's stupid and has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

Which (to return to topic) is:

strangely no responsibility claim from any IS source as yet and so far no angry farewell message uncovered either from the driver.

His environment names him as not particularly religious, not showing any discernible signs of radicalism that anyone knows of but a bit of a loner and a bit peculiar. Married with kids but estranged from his wife.

Petty criminal though, one conviction over violence with a weapon.

Ate pork, drank, took drugs, never went to a mosque and beat his wife like any good Muslim :roll:

Dad cited as revealing his son to have had past multiple nervous breakdowns and volatile behavior.

Don't anybody tell me he simply found it easier to get hold of a truck than to get hold of a German Wings passenger flight.

Whatever this next one is now, it's stupid and has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

strangely no responsibility claim from any IS source as yet and so far no angry farewell message uncovered either from the driver.

His environment names him as not particularly religious, not showing any discernible signs of radicalism that anyone knows of but a bit of a loner and a bit peculiar. Married with kids but estranged from his wife.

Ate pork, drank, took drugs, never went to a mosque and beat his wife like any good Muslim :roll:

Dad cited as revealing his son to have had past multiple nervous breakdowns and volatile behavior.

Don't anybody tell me he simply found it easier to get hold of a truck than to get hold of a German Wings passenger flight.

Kind of like your posts talking to me? You realize you are doing what your are accusing me of

I reply to your posts because I can. Now one more time, get over it. I hope someone quotes this and maybe you will stop.

Now for the drinking Muslim he believed what he did would erase his transgressions, and knowing Islam like you do, you realize of course Allah forgave him.

Last edited:

Never said that. Did however explain why I think it's relevant. People criticize anything and anyone, I'm fine with that. Freedom of speech is what separates us from places like Eritrea.

Never said that. Did however explain why I think it's relevant. ..........~
Yeah, and your explanation has been addressed already. You got anything new on this here? Like on the driver? Possible motive? Connections?

Remember: Nice.

Eritrea is nowhere near there.

Yeah, and your explanation has been addressed already. You got anything new on this here? Like on the driver? Possible motive? Connections?

The motive is not a mystery.

My post was the first on the thread to offer his name and some of his background. French investigators are searching his computer now, we'll probably know more shortly.

He was from a town in Tunisia that's seen recent Isis involvement. He last visited this town 4 years ago.

Yeah, looks like a lone wolf or mental illness to me. Sort of like the suspect in the Orlando massacre.

Back
Top Bottom