• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Ask Osama Bin Laden if he is better off now than he was 4 years ago

Crosscheck

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Ask Osama Bin Laden if he is better off now than he was 4 years ago. PRICELESS....

Best line I saw on the screen of the DNC from some twitter.

I know this one line may not merit a whole thread but since the Republicans are posting some desperate weak threads , why not.

Yes, that is a clever one liner. The problem is that the Democrats are using the killing of Bin Laden as an example of Mr. Obama's outstanding leadership and competence in foreign policy. Without statistical information to back me up, I am going to chance it and say that the over whelming majority of Americans would have acted as Mr. Obama and signed/given that order to eliminate Bin Laden. So, if someone is doing something that everyone else would have done, too, then how is that leadership?

To be a devils advocate and for the sake of discussion, assume for a moment that a sitting president would have refused to give that order under like circumstances. There is then a possibility of a leak of that information at some later point in time. Perhaps sooner, perhaps later. But nonetheless, imagine the outcry by the American public when information like that became common knowledge. It would not have been pretty at all. So, there is the possibility that Mr. Obama was also simply trying to keep his own arse out of hot water. Something to think about anyhow.

lchOq.jpg

I don't recall Liberals rejoicing over Saddam Hussein's death,He did kill ALOT more people than Bin Laden could even dream of killing.

I don't recall Liberals rejoicing over Saddam Hussein's death,He did kill ALOT more people than Bin Laden could even dream of killing.

Saddam Hussein killed a number of his own people.

Bin Laden ordered 9-11.

I can't help you any more than that.

Saddam Hussein killed a number of his own people.

Bin Laden ordered 9-11.

I can't help you any more than that.

Both were very bad men and Saddam was much worse than Bin Laden....Are you going to praise Bush for at least taking Saddam out?

I praise Obama for taking Bin Laden out :)

Both were very bad men and Saddam was much worse than Bin Laden....Are you going to praise Bush for at least taking Saddam out?

I praise Obama for taking Bin Laden out :)

Where did I condemn Saddam being executed? Show me my statement saying that.

Yes, the best part I loved was seeing them pull Saddam out of that dirt hole like a cowardly mouse. But this thread is about the statement of asking Bin Laden if he is better now than he was in 4 years. I thought it was was clever take on the traditional political line about one's status now compared to 4 years ago. But for some reason you want to bring Bush and Saddam into it and question if I was upset Saddam was killed.

How about the Unabomber were you upset his own brother turned him in?

Without statistical information to back me up, I am going to chance it and say that the over whelming majority of Americans would have acted as Mr. Obama and signed/given that order to eliminate Bin Laden. So, if someone is doing something that everyone else would have done, too, then how is that leadership?

This is one of the few points I can actually give to Obama. Situations presented themselves like this, where intelligence came up of Osama being in a nation we were allied with, and we had the chance to take him out. I believe it was Rumsfeld...Clinton? (person in office could be incorrect but I know whoever was in office...) decided to not take the risk to take him out because of the possible political crud storm it most likely would have created. Obama actually went in and did it against the advice of many of his advisers. This is one of the few positives I can actually put in Obama's court.

Best president on foreign relations in recent history was Clinton, on this point Obama's not as good. But compared with bush there's no tidal wave of hatred towards this nation. I doubt Romney would be very popular abroad with the comments he's made and his supremacist ideology.

Because he was a two bit dictator, largely beign to US interests and hardly worth the $1T+ it cost to take him out. Going after Hussein was amongst the dumbest things ever perpetrated by the US... that is why there was no "rejoincing".....

Bin Laden, if you recall, perpetrated a very damaging strike against US citizens, and succeeded in forever changing our way of life. Frankly, it may have been one of the most effective military attacks in world history. He killed our citizens, attacked out culture, comprised our way of life and embarrassed us (granted much of this was manifested by our over-reaction to the attack, but it was the result nonetheless). American justice demanded the Bin Laden be "serviced."

The problem is Bush and his neocons never really understood the distinction.

This is one of the few points I can actually give to Obama. Situations presented themselves like this, where intelligence came up of Osama being in a nation we were allied with, and we had the chance to take him out. I believe it was Rumsfeld...Clinton? (person in office could be incorrect but I know whoever was in office...) decided to not take the risk to take him out because of the possible political crud storm it most likely would have created. Obama actually went in and did it against the advice of many of his advisers. This is one of the few positives I can actually put in Obama's court.

It might have been Rumsfeld but I am not sure either. But that being said, I understand the point you are making that he had an adviser saying no. But in my posting, I did not say adviser. I said Americans meaning the public in general. Sometimes advisers don't give good advice. Perhaps I should have made myself more clear. I am not attempting to say that his decision was not the correct one, I believe it was, I was simply pointing out the fact that the decision was not a singular one that revealed enlightened leadership.

My dog would have given the order to kill Bin Laden, when Seal Team Six came calling. Obama gets no special recognition. He was in the right place at the right time.

It might have been Rumsfeld but I am not sure either. But that being said, I understand the point you are making that he had an adviser saying no. But in my posting, I did not say adviser. I said Americans meaning the public in general. Sometimes advisers don't give good advice. Perhaps I should have made myself more clear. I am not attempting to say that his decision was not the correct one, I believe it was, I was simply pointing out the fact that the decision was not a singular one that revealed enlightened leadership.

It was Clinton. Clinton recognized OBL as a threat, warned W, who completely dropped the ball.

If you can't draw a distinction between the two, doubtful anybody here could help you.

My dog would have given the order to kill Bin Laden, when Seal Team Six came calling. Obama gets no special recognition. He was in the right place at the right time.

Well, George Bush didn't when he had the chance at Tora Bora. He then announced that he really wasn't that concerned about him. I'd say nice try, but it really wasn't.

It was Clinton. Clinton recognized OBL as a threat, warned W, who completely dropped the ball.

Here we go with revisonist history. Clinton refused to take bin Laden into custody when the Defense Minister of Sudan offered to hand him over in 1996.

Clinton: So we tried to be quite aggressive with them [al Qaeda]. We got – well, Mr. bin Laden used to live in Sudan. He was expelled from Saudi Arabia in 1991, then he went to Sudan. And we’d been hearing that the Sudanese wanted America to start dealing with them again. They released him. At the time, 1996, he had committed no crime against America, so I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him, though we knew he wanted to commit crimes against America. So I pleaded with the Saudis to take him, ’cause they could have. But they thought it was a hot potato and they didn’t and that’s how he wound up in Afghanistan
FactCheck.org : Clinton Passed on Killing bin Laden?

Of course your dog would jump to such a conclusion, as obviously your dog would not be intelligent enough nor sufficiently knowledgeable about the political, military and geo-political issues at hand, especially the down-side risk of being wrong; which the odds were that you were going to be wrong.

I said when it happened and I will say it again now: I was incredibly happy to hear that Obama issued the order and we killed Osama. It was a dramatic show of justice and resolution for those deeply affected by 9/11 and he made the right call in ordering the strike.

However...the economic, education, green energy, middle eastern conflict, the European debt crisis, debt that exceed GDP and borrowing 1/3 of what we spend aren't going to be resolved because Osama is worse off than he was 4 years ago. It's a feel good moment but otherwise empty. It doesn't help the American people long term in the arenas where we're floundering. So it's a cute catchphrase, but it's hollow.

Clinton rejected an offer to have Bin Laden placed in our hands when he was captured in the early 90s, when we had him linked to the first WTC bombing and the USS Cole attack. So W wasn't the only one who "dropped the ball", as you say.

So much for not "spking the football." :lamo

This "bin Laden" thing is getting increasingly comical. The only reason to keep bringing it up is because there's no other accomplishment to point to. If the economy were visibly recovering, no one would mention it at all.

"Re-elect our Peace Prize president, because he killed bin Laden!"

The commercial writes itself. Explosions, rock music, Obama dressed like Rambo:

OBAMA! (Hell yeah!)
He killed OSAMA! (Hell yeah!)
That's right, OBAMA! (Hell yeah!)
Just ask your momma! (Hell yeah!)

So much for not "spking the football." :lamo

This "bin Laden" thing is getting increasingly comical. The only reason to keep bringing it up is because there's no other accomplishment to point to. If the economy were visibly recovering, no one would mention it at all.

"Re-elect our Peace Prize president, because he killed bin Laden!"

The commercial writes itself. Explosions, rock music, Obama dressed like Rambo:

OBAMA! (Hell yeah!)
That's right, OBAMA! (Hell yeah!)
Just ask your momma! (Hell yeah!)

Because Republicans never spike the football... especially prematurely... oh, wait...

President-George-W.-Bush-Mission-Accomplished.jpg

Because Republicans never spike the football... especially prematurely... oh, wait...

President-George-W.-Bush-Mission-Accomplished.jpg

Awww, did I hit too close to home?

Besides, it never ceases to amaze me how the people who will say Bush was the Worst President Ever (TM) will nonetheless routinely defend Obama by saying "Bush did it it, too!!!!!!" So Obama is another Bush, according to you. Should Bush have been re-elected?

"We don't need to spike the football," Obama said. Well, I guess that's changed.

Ask Osama Bin Laden if he is better off now than he was 4 years ago. PRICELESS....

Best line I saw on the screen of the DNC from some twitter.

I know this one line may not merit a whole thread but since the Republicans are posting some desperate weak threads , why not.

bin Laden was not killed in the raid. The individual who was shot was merely someone else playing the role of bin Laden, most likely to manufacture a threat that could be used to justify one or more military engagements uncle sammy wastes our money on. If it isn't already obvious, if that person in the compound was indeed bin Laden, uncle sammy wouldn't have wasted time flying his body back to the US for cremation.

bin Laden likely died years before he was supposedly killed.

Awww, did I hit too close to home?

Besides, it never ceases to amaze me how the people who will say Bush was the Worst President Ever (TM) will nonetheless routinely defend Obama by saying "Bush did it it, too!!!!!!" So Obama is another Bush, according to you. Should Bush have been re-elected?

"We don't need to spike the football," Obama said. Well, I guess that's changed.

Let's see... What did Bush not do?

Oh, I know...

Bush didn't get Bin Ladin!

I'd been much happier with W if he had... But he was focused on Iraq, and Sadam Hussein, and therefore was largely a failure in the "Global War on Terror".

bin Laden was not killed in the raid. The individual who was shot was merely someone else playing the role of bin Laden, most likely to manufacture a threat that could be used to justify one or more military engagements uncle sammy wastes our money on. If it isn't already obvious, if that person in the compound was indeed bin Laden, uncle sammy wouldn't have wasted time flying his body back to the US for cremation.

bin Laden likely died years before he was supposedly killed.

LOLWUT?

facepalm111.jpg

Back
Top Bottom