• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Amateur Wrestling 2024

“Do you know how hard it is to play as much football as he played and play as hard as he played, and then turn around and start doing this?” Nebraska football coach Matt Rhule told the Journal Star. “He didn’t get a break. He didn’t negotiate a break. He was like, ‘This is what we’re doing, coach.’”

Yes, I do. I weighed 185-190ish at the end of senior football season and had little fat. I was certified to wrestle at 152 about three weeks later. Which I did. Which was horrible, stupid, bad, wrong, and dumb, and probably had me on death's door a number of occasions. (It wasn't just the starvation diet of 400-500 cal/day. It was having to not eat or drink water for 24-48h before a match if I was going to make weight. So, y'know... peeing light brown or even light-medium if I did at all on match day. Quite spectacularly stupid. Especially since it meant my body just ate the muscle I'd spent the prior spring, summer, and fall adding on.

At least that guy had a lot of blubber to lose in dropping from 330 to 285.

Anyone with kids considering wrestling, keep an eye on them. Cutting weight is self-defeating even if you survive it. If I did it again, the most I'd consider dropping to was 171 but would probably just take the 189 spot and keep on bulking up to the extent I could during the season.

I did much the same thing. In addition, we were convinced you could spit about a pound a week if you really needed to drop it fast. We chewed Red Man chewing tobacco all week. Stupid.

After starving all week on skinny groceries as soon as I made it past weigh-in I would eat a fried banana sandwich with honey. Did it help? Beats the hell out of me. I doubt it helped at all.

Triple header started 40 minutes ago with #1 Penn State at Michigan.
Thanks! Yeah, I was out blowing snow. I have Purdue @ Iowa on the DVR from Big Ten Network, so I’ll get caught up on that shortly.

I did much the same thing. In addition, we were convinced you could spit about a pound a week if you really needed to drop it fast. We chewed Red Man chewing tobacco all week. Stupid.

After starving all week on skinny groceries as soon as I made it past weigh-in I would eat a fried banana sandwich with honey. Did it help? Beats the hell out of me. I doubt it helped at all.
That story is golden. LOL. Good stuff, especially about the Red Man. Brings back memories…

Seeing McIlravy lose to Bono at 150 in 1995 before the weights changed after the three deaths attributed to renal failure cutting weight.
Those Chris Bono-Lincoln McIlravy matches were always wars.
We have regionals starting Feb. 3 and you have wrestling weather now.
For sure.
We tape all the duals on the B1G channel.
I watched Purdue @ Iowa and Nebraska @ Minnesota late last night.
Sanderson looks good with the portal recruiting over his recruits.
The portal is really changing wrestling from what I’ve always known. Sanderson’s teams seem to wrestle like he did- grinding out individual matches. I’ve always found that style boring. It works, but damn…
Nice double bird by that moron.
Yeah, you can be intense without stooping that low. It’s just uncalled for.

Those Chris Bono-Lincoln McIlravy matches were always wars.

For sure.

I watched Purdue @ Iowa and Nebraska @ Minnesota late last night.

The portal is really changing wrestling from what I’ve always known. Sanderson’s teams seem to wrestle like he did- grinding out individual matches. I’ve always found that style boring. It works, but damn…

Yeah, you can be intense without stooping that low. It’s just uncalled for.
Double-header at Penn State and Michigan with Ohio State and Iowa respectively. They’re at ad and off-mat time. February is high school state series time for us.

Wow. What a butt-kicking Iowa got at Michigan. 24-11. Real Woods was dominated 14-2 and no Hawkeye wrestlers looked especially good. Penn State is going to freight-train Iowa next Friday night in Iowa City.

Wow. What a butt-kicking Iowa got at Michigan. 24-11. Real Woods was dominated 14-2 and no Hawkeye wrestlers looked especially good. Penn State is going to freight-train Iowa next Friday night in Iowa City.
It's always about matchups.
I suspect the travel was a nuisance.
Illinois native Caliendo has been a surprise.

Lemley at 141 from Indiana, who wrestled at Mt. Carmel HS in Illinois, probably knew a lot of Wood's technique from Montini.
Michigan is full of Montini wrestlers from Illinois, like Ragusin and Lewan.
(Lemley didn't wrestle against Mendez from Ohio State, who he knows from Indiana.)

Iowa lost their two Illinois guys at 184 and 285 due to sports betting.
Your state allows sports betting on colleges INSIDE the state.
Illinois doesn't, so those two screwed up, along with Brands and Siebrecht.

Michigan traveling to Nebraska right now on the Big Ten channel. Penn State at sold-out Carver-Hawkeye later.

Illinois State HS tournament this weekend.
So of course it’s been brutal winter weather.
The boys all have this same (silly) hairdo.
The girls are growing hair to the ground.
They look so weird to this weird 70-yo.

Illinois got hurt in 2021 with no state tourney due to Covid.
2021 was really a wipeout for states like Illinois.
Our sophomores and freshmen are very good classes. @radioman

Great dual tomorrow with #4 Nebraska at #1 Penn State 4 pm ET.
Blackshoediaries has a link before I get home late tonite after finals.

Cali sections today, state meet next week.
I've got family visiting, so I will miss both tourneys.
I will try to catch Penn St and Nebraska tomorrow.
Thanks for the heads-up 👍

Iowa High School State Tournament is on television here right now. My district high school, Southeast Polk, is going to win Class 3A.

One of the leading sponsors at our tournament here over the years has been ‘Careers in Construction’.

Last edited:
Iowa High School State Tournament is on television here right now. My district high school, Southeast Polk, is going to win Class 3A.
Quarterfinals of Nationals starting now on e$pnU.

Quarterfinals of Nationals starting now on e$pnU.
I don't have ESPNU, but I'm following along online.
Will be watching/recording the semis.

Espn+ has been worth it to me over the many months and years. I’ve had Shane Sparks on the call with the 8-box.

Back
Top Bottom