• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Amateur Wrestling 2024

Linc

NIMBY
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Folkstyle, Freestyle, Greco--Men and Women--College, High School, Olympic Year

This article is an awesome read and justifies a College 330-pound wrestling weight class for football lineman imo.
As well, the Olympic weight class for Men of 213 is not in College, with 213 as one of only 6 weights in the Olympics for Men.
More on weights in future posts.

That article also discussed the portal, with the Husker haul in football

Great source of Amateur Wrestling:

Another great source, especially for upcoming events, but tedious to get to sub-links.

Each state, like Iowa @Grogu , and California, @radioman have their wrestling boards.
Then there's paid national boards like FloWrestling which I’m still on.
Lots of great videos and live wrestling.

“Do you know how hard it is to play as much football as he played and play as hard as he played, and then turn around and start doing this?” Nebraska football coach Matt Rhule told the Journal Star. “He didn’t get a break. He didn’t negotiate a break. He was like, ‘This is what we’re doing, coach.’”

Yes, I do. I weighed 185-190ish at the end of senior football season and had little fat. I was certified to wrestle at 152 about three weeks later. Which I did. Which was horrible, stupid, bad, wrong, and dumb, and probably had me on death's door a number of occasions. (It wasn't just the starvation diet of 400-500 cal/day. It was having to not eat or drink water for 24-48h before a match if I was going to make weight. So, y'know... peeing light brown or even light-medium if I did at all on match day. Quite spectacularly stupid. Especially since it meant my body just ate the muscle I'd spent the prior spring, summer, and fall adding on.

At least that guy had a lot of blubber to lose in dropping from 330 to 285.

Anyone with kids considering wrestling, keep an eye on them. Cutting weight is self-defeating even if you survive it. If I did it again, the most I'd consider dropping to was 171 but would probably just take the 189 spot and keep on bulking up to the extent I could during the season.

Folkstyle, Freestyle, Greco--Men and Women--College, High School, Olympic Year

This article is an awesome read and justifies a College 330-pound wrestling weight class for football lineman imo.
As well, the Olympic weight class for Men of 213 is not in College, with 213 as one of only 6 weights in the Olympics for Men.
More on weights in future posts.

That article also discussed the portal, with the Husker haul in football

Great source of Amateur Wrestling:

Another great source, especially for upcoming events, but tedious to get to sub-links.

Each state, like Iowa @Grogu , and California, @radioman have their wrestling boards.
Then there's paid national boards like FloWrestling which I’m still on.
Lots of great videos and live wrestling.
Oh yeah. It’s wrestling season. I’ve been an Iowa wrestling fan since the mid-70’s. It’s the stuff of legends. I remember watching Dan Gable lose his final match for Iowa State on television with my father. We were devastated. Gable wrestled in high school at Waterloo West like my father did. Dad was a three sport starter- wrestling, QB in football, and second baseman in baseball.

I washed out of wrestling early. 5th and 6th grade program on Saturday mornings. The two best wrestlers in my class were also my weight class. I got discouraged getting pinned all the time. They both went to state in high school, and were relentless on the mat. I became pretty decent at football, so Dad was OK with me leaving wrestling behind.

I watch every Iowa match that I can, and follow other matches (Midlands and NCAA’s) on the internet where I can find them. I’m lucky that Iowa Public Television has carried many collegiate wrestling matches over the years. I like reading the forum on The Guillotine, too, since they hate Iowa with a passion. LOL. Iowa at Iowa State finally made the flagship ESPN coverage earlier this season. Good stuff.

“Do you know how hard it is to play as much football as he played and play as hard as he played, and then turn around and start doing this?” Nebraska football coach Matt Rhule told the Journal Star. “He didn’t get a break. He didn’t negotiate a break. He was like, ‘This is what we’re doing, coach.’”
You make several good points.
It’s good to know another wrestler.
Times have really changed since I retired teaching & coaching in 2009.
College has a 3-point takedown this year.

Yes, I do. I weighed 185-190ish at the end of senior football season and had little fat. I was certified to wrestle at 152 about three weeks later. Which I did.
High school has added two weights to the 12 when I graduated in 1971 at 167. Now 95 is up to 106 to start. 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 144, 150, 157 and 165 college weights, 175, 190, 215, 285.

States are not the same again, as with Pennsylvania back to 13 weights, one off the top, while the other states like my Illinois spaced the uppers more.
Which was horrible, stupid, bad, wrong, and dumb, and probably had me on death's door a number of occasions. (It wasn't just the starvation diet of 400-500 cal/day. It was having to not eat or drink water for 24-48h before a match if I was going to make weight.
Rubber suits, poor practice routines, eventually 3 college deaths; Mike Moyer took over, added 7 pounds to 118 and the rest, and instituted strong safety protocols.
So, y'know... peeing light brown or even light-medium if I did at all on match day. Quite spectacularly stupid. Especially since it meant my body just ate the muscle I'd spent the prior spring, summer, and fall adding on.
Penn State let their #1 champ at 184 go to 197 this year. Their coach now legendary Cael Sanderson made that cut once and never wrestled again.

Only 6 Olympic weights
At least that guy had a lot of blubber to lose in dropping from 330 to 285.
We’ve seen heavyweight national champs play for Super Bowl champs.
Anyone with kids considering wrestling, keep an eye on them. Cutting weight is self-defeating even if you survive it.
Agree wholeheartedly. Seniors are still going down even to 106 because they can’t advance at the next weight.

Oh yeah. It’s wrestling season. I’ve been an Iowa wrestling fan since the mid-70’s. It’s the stuff of legends. I remember watching Dan Gable lose his final match for Iowa State on television with my father. We were devastated. Gable wrestled in high school at Waterloo West like my father did. Dad was a three sport starter- wrestling, QB in football, and second baseman in baseball.
I was in Iowa City for the 1995s and Cedar Falls for the 1997s.
I washed out of wrestling early. 5th and 6th grade program on Saturday mornings. The two best wrestlers in my class were also my weight class. I got discouraged getting pinned all the time. They both went to state in high school, and were relentless on the mat. I became pretty decent at football, so Dad was OK with me leaving wrestling behind.
😎 We’ve reached the month before states have their state tournaments.
I watch every Iowa match that I can, and follow other matches (Midlands and NCAA’s) on the internet where I can find them. I’m lucky that Iowa Public Television has carried many collegiate wrestling matches over the years.
Iowa at Nebraska this Friday on B1G. Manning is a maniac.
I like reading the forum on The Guillotine, too, since they hate Iowa with a passion. LOL. Iowa at Iowa State
Dresser’s quite an enigma .
finally made the flagship ESPN coverage earlier this season. Good stuff.
What to do with the Ferrari family though going forth.

.​

Anyone with kids considering wrestling, keep an eye on them. Cutting weight is self-defeating even if you survive it. If I did it again, the most I'd consider dropping to was 171 but would probably just take the 189 spot and keep on bulking up to the extent I could during the season.
Agreed.
My oldest son, who developed into a very good wrestler tried to cut to 106 as a freshman.
The result of this weight slashing effort was an inability to walk, let alone wrestle. on the day of the tournament.
California.....and I would hope other states...has implemented a pre-season bodyfat analysis wherein wrestlers are told what their lowest competitive weight can be.

College has a 3-point takedown this year.
Which I like.

Only 6 Olympic weights
Which I hate.

When I was much younger....okay...much, much, much younger....and dreamed of Olympic glory, there were 10 weight classes.
105.5, 114.5, 125.5, 136.5, 149.5, 163, 180.5, 198, 220 and heavyweight.

I think the IOC's justification for fewer men's weight classes was the addition of women's wrestling.

As in......." 6 male weight classes plus 6 female weight classes equals 12 weight classes, which is 2 more weight classes than you had before!!!"

Which I also hate.

Happily....sort of....the World Wrestling Championships still has 10 weight classes for men and 10 weight classes for women.

Which I like.

Which I hate.
High schools now allow 6 matches a day which helps with big tournaments.
When I was much younger....okay...much, much, much younger....and dreamed of Olympic glory, there were 10 weight classes.
105.5, 114.5, 125.5, 136.5, 149.5, 163, 180.5, 198, 220 and heavyweight.

I think the IOC's justification for fewer men's weight classes was the addition of women's wrestling.
This is the same IOC that tried to kill Olympic wrestling altogether.
As in......." 6 male weight classes plus 6 female weight classes equals 12 weight classes, which is 2 more weight classes than you had before!!!"

Which I also hate.
Females could use two more Olympic weights. Female wrestling continues to expand at all levels.
Now, lack of facilities with a new sport has cropped up.
Happily....sort of....the World Wrestling Championships still has 10 weight classes for men and 10 weight classes for women.
And ten weights at college.

I was in Iowa City for the 1995s and Cedar Falls for the 1997s.
Hard to beat that atmosphere in Iowa City, isn’t it?
We’ve reached the month before states have their state tournaments.
You’re right. Where does the time go?
Iowa at Nebraska this Friday on B1G. Manning is a maniac.
Manning has built a better program at Nebraska. They were never pushovers, but kind of also-rans. Not anymore.
Dresser’s quite an enigma .
ISU is a heck of a lot more competitive these days under Dresser.
What to do with the Ferrari family though going forth.
Oh, boy. What a wild card AJ is. Seems like more disaster just waiting to happen. I wish Angelo wasn’t tied with his brother.

High schools now allow 6 matches a day which helps with big tournaments.
Honestly, I can't even imagine wrestling 6 times in one day.
It is possible that my physical conditioning may not be as good as it once was LOL
This is the same IOC that tried to kill Olympic wrestling altogether.
And wrestling was one of the original Olympic events.
The perils of a niche sport.
In other news.......golf has been re-instated as an Olympic sport......fookin GOLF!!!
I'd also complain about curling, but I think I could be competitive at curling.
Females could use two more Olympic weights. Female wrestling continues to expand at all levels.
Now, lack of facilities with a new sport has cropped up.
Good for the girls. The more, the merrier.
And ten weights at college.
Yeah, but.....and I believe we've discussed this before....NCAA wrestling needs a weight class between 197 and 285. The NCWA has added a 235lb class. Are you listening NCAA, NAIA et al?

Hard to beat that atmosphere in Iowa City, isn’t it?
Seeing McIlravy lose to Bono at 150 in 1995 before the weights changed after the three deaths attributed to renal failure cutting weight.
You’re right. Where does the time go?
We have regionals starting Feb. 3 and you have wrestling weather now.
Manning has built a better program at Nebraska. They were never pushovers, but kind of also-rans. Not anymore.
We tape all the duals on the B1G channel.
ISU is a heck of a lot more competitive these days under Dresser.
Sanderson looks good with the portal recruiting over his recruits.
Oh, boy. What a wild card AJ is. Seems like more disaster just waiting to happen. I wish Angelo wasn’t tied with his brother.
Nice double bird by that moron.

Honestly, I can't even imagine wrestling 6 times in one day.
It is possible that my physical conditioning may not be as good as it once was LOL
Some of the dual team tournaments have become quite creative, like Abe’s in Illinois and the Cheesehead in Wisconsin. Six helps with forfeits.
And wrestling was one of the original Olympic events.
The perils of a niche sport.
In other news.......golf has been re-instated as an Olympic sport......fookin GOLF!!!
I'd also complain about curling, but I think I could be competitive at curling.

Good for the girls. The more, the merrier.
I’ll try to drop the latest from FloWrestling.
Yeah, but.....and I believe we've discussed this before....NCAA wrestling needs a weight class between 197 and 285.
Lower weight fans are against another ‘boring’ heavier weight.
The NCWA has added a 235lb class. Are you listening NCAA, NAIA et al?
Figuring out how to get Peacock.

Figuring out how to get Peacock.
Fair amount of anger from NFL fans about KC-Miami game being streamed only on Peacock this Saturday.
If I recall correctly, Cleveland DB Bernie Parrish wrote a book wherein he stated that all NFL games would soon be PPV.
That book was written in the 70's I think, so he was a little off on his time frame.
I think the NFL feels that even if they lose some viewers, football's popularity will still lead to increased revenue.
Also interesting how all sports have embraced gambling.
The mere mention of "gambling" used to be anathema.
I know you're a rambling, gambling kind of guy---nothing wrong with that---but the reversal in attitude by sports moguls has been amazing.
Increasing revenue is the name of the game---nothing wrong with that, either.
I'm expecting some point-shaving scandals in the near future.

Fair amount of anger from NFL fans about KC-Miami game being streamed only on Peacock this Saturday.
Use nflwebcast.com It's supposed to be free but not HD.
If I recall correctly, Cleveland DB Bernie Parrish wrote a book wherein he stated that all NFL games would soon be PPV.
To think it was a GOP court that ended PASPA, DEM Sen. Bradley's bill.
His old Knicks shot the long ball well and he knew the problems.
That book was written in the 70's I think, so he was a little off on his time frame.
Four Iowa wrestlers were suspended for this season, two from Illinois, where WE can't bet on Illinois colleges.
You can bet on Iowa colleges in Iowa and they lost their last year, including their AA HWT.
I think the NFL feels that even if they lose some viewers, football's popularity will still lead to increased revenue.
I've listened to the nfl on Westwood One AM radio since its inception in 1978.
I like how the radio feed is up to ten seconds ahead of the 'live' tv.
Also interesting how all sports have embraced gambling.
The mere mention of "gambling" used to be anathema.
I know you're a rambling, gambling kind of guy---nothing wrong with that---but the reversal in attitude by sports moguls has been amazing.
I barely look at it right now.
That will probably change again with MLB starting up.
Increasing revenue is the name of the game---nothing wrong with that, either.
I'm expecting some point-shaving scandals in the near future.
So was Sen. Bradley.
California and Texas still don't have it.

Last edited:
Use nflwebcast.com It's supposed to be free but not HD.
I'm gonna be in SF this weekend, so I won't be watching any NFL games.
I usually watch the playoff games, but I won't be watching this weekend.
I'm pretending that I'm "striking-a-blow-for-freedom" by not watching but, truthfully, I don't give a shit.
Next weekend, with the Niners in action, I will give a shit.
Four Iowa wrestlers were suspended for this season, two from Illinois, where WE can't bet on Illinois colleges.
You can bet on Iowa colleges in Iowa and they lost their last year, including their AA HWT.
I heard about this....possibly from you.....and it seems ridiculously punitive.
I've listened to the nfl on Westwood One AM radio since its inception in 1978.
I like how the radio feed is up to ten seconds ahead of the 'live' tv.
NFL is okay on radio, but baseball is more of a radio sport.
I think that football needs that visual impact more than baseball does.
I barely look at it right now.
That will probably change again with MLB starting up.
Funny thing, I happened to notice a couple over-under NBA lines last week.
Probably involving the Warriors.
The winning or losing bet was decided by 1/2 a point.
Tough break for any bettor who risked significant money.

I'm gonna be in SF this weekend, so I won't be watching any NFL games.
I usually watch the playoff games, but I won't be watching this weekend.
I'm pretending that I'm "striking-a-blow-for-freedom" by not watching but, truthfully, I don't give a shit.
Next weekend, with the Niners in action, I will give a shit.

I heard about this....possibly from you.....and it seems ridiculously punitive.
I’d love to be anywhere out west special right now. We are having Midwest wrestling weather. I am planning spring training AZ by mid-March then back home through southern Colorado.
NFL is okay on radio, but baseball is more of a radio sport.
I think that football needs that visual impact more than baseball does.
“Moving left-to-right on your radio dial (as I’m driving) trips to the bottom and shotgun”.
Funny thing, I happened to notice a couple over-under NBA lines last week.
Probably involving the Warriors.
The winning or losing bet was decided by 1/2 a point.
Tough break for any bettor who risked significant money.
It’s different now after three years for me.

The biggest thing I see right now for public HS wrestling is competing against the private recruiters. You have yours in CA. We’ve got a court battle right now.

@Grogu
Hope you're surviving out there.
North-central Illinois was spared the worst of the snow.
Some of the forums are interesting:
@radioman

@Grogu
Hope you're surviving out there.
North-central Illinois was spared the worst of the snow.
Some of the forums are interesting:
@radioman
Thanks for the internet links! I appreciate it.

I’m currently buried in snow, thinking about when I’m going out to fire up the snow blower. I drive a 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71, so if I have to get anywhere, I still can pretty easily.

Planning on staying in for the weekend. I‘m listening to local sports radio- I haven’t heard yet on the status of Iowa @ Nebraska wrestling for tonight yet. Big Ten Network at 6:30. Have a great weekend.

Thanks for the internet links! I appreciate it.

I’m currently buried in snow, thinking about when I’m going out to fire up the snow blower. I drive a 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71, so if I have to get anywhere, I still can pretty easily.

Planning on staying in for the weekend. I‘m listening to local sports radio- I haven’t heard yet on the status of Iowa @ Nebraska wrestling for tonight yet. Big Ten Network at 6:30. Have a great weekend.
Iowa got in last night.
You'll see the talk on them using Arnold and Keuter, plus whether 'nebby' will use that HWT.
(Quite the gossip on Chittum not going to Iowa because of the Ferraris)

#2 Iowa at #4 Nebraska

Whenever I think of collegiate wrestling, I think of big corn-fed guys from Pennsylvania over to Nebraska. At one time Oregon was also wrestling country but not sure now.

Whenever I think of collegiate wrestling, I think of big corn-fed guys from Pennsylvania over to Nebraska. At one time Oregon was also wrestling country but not sure now.
NIL and the portal have hit college wrestling also. It’s a niche sport so people never really see it.
Penn State has dominated for a decade

The #2 ranked ranked Iowa kid that just won came from N. Dak. St.

Triple header started 40 minutes ago with #1 Penn State at Michigan.

Is this on like ESPN U or anything like that? I swear January sucks if you're not into basketball or hockey

Back
Top Bottom