• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Age of the Earth

Thats what the Bible says. And that is what I believe.

No, if God did it your way, He would have been a liar. He doesn't use 'magic'. He does all by His own power.

Quantrill

What kind of power? Political power? In what way would God have been a liar? Which part do you believe is untrue in my version?

They did notice,...but then the water got chin high,.... and then they all drowned. Dead people keep poor records.

Quantrill

Lol. There was no gap in their records... that's the point, they were there all along and nothing happened to them. No world wide flood.

Lol. There was no gap in their records... that's the point, they were there all along and nothing happened to them. No world wide flood.

I believe what he means is that after they were wiped out by the flood, God used His magi- I mean 'His own power' to create identical civilizations in the exact same locations who wouldn't have realized that there had ever been a flood, because God gave them no memory of it when He created them.

I believe what he means is that after they were wiped out by the flood, God used His magi- I mean 'His own power' to create identical civilizations in the exact same locations who wouldn't have realized that there had ever been a flood, because God gave them no memory of it when He created them.

Well - someone once told me that god put dinosaur bones on the earth to test their faith . . . so he must have written false records, created fossils and a host of other actions purely for this testing purpose.

There is no spoon.

Well - someone once told me that god put dinosaur bones on the earth to test their faith . . . so he must have written false records, created fossils and a host of other actions purely for this testing purpose.

There is no spoon.

Right, and to have done otherwise would have been a lie.

What kind of power? Political power? In what way would God have been a liar? Which part do you believe is untrue in my version?

The power of God.

As I said, if God did it your way, He would have been a liar. Your way is a complete denial of God.

All of it.

Quantrill

There probably were no Chinese period before the flood. Probably no 'China'.

The flood destroyed everyone on the earth.

Quantrill

The power of God.
You mean some entirely natural power like the political power of God due to His influence over His followers, or the financial power of God or the work of God divided by the time of God? What kind of power are you talking about? Could it be... the magical power of God perchance? If not magic then explain how God's power obeys the laws of physics.

As I said, if God did it your way, He would have been a liar. Your way is a complete denial of God.

All of it.

Quantrill

Really, all of it? So you believe that God telling Noah that He was going to keep a bunch of creatures alive would have been a lie? I guess that means you don't believe that God intended for any of the creatures on the ark to be kept alive, and He just took credit for it after the fact? You don't think that's a bit deceptive?

My view on this is that that part of the bible is written by primitives who had no understanding of anything scientific. Given that, i dont think God could go into too much specific detail about the origins of earth and humanity. So the account is allegorical for this reason.

Goat herders in tents are simply too uneducated and ignorant of how reality actually works to not screw up any inspired interpretation, so things like days would substitute for billions of years and Adam and eve atand in place for the evolution of the frontal cortex. Ultimately though the fact is humanity still needs reform no matter the cause.

Last edited:
You mean some entirely natural power like the political power of God due to His influence over His followers, or the financial power of God or the work of God divided by the time of God? What kind of power are you talking about? Could it be... the magical power of God perchance? If not magic then explain how God's power obeys the laws of physics.

Really, all of it? So you believe that God telling Noah that He was going to keep a bunch of creatures alive would have been a lie? I guess that means you don't believe that God intended for any of the creatures on the ark to be kept alive, and He just took credit for it after the fact? You don't think that's a bit deceptive?

I mean the power of God. God's power is not bound by any laws. He moves and does as He wills.

God told Noah what to do and why he needed to do it. Nothing deceptive about it. Then God did what He said He was going to do. Nothing deceptive.

Quantrill

I mean the power of God. God's power is not bound by any laws. He moves and does as He wills.

A.k.a. magic.

God told Noah what to do and why he needed to do it. Nothing deceptive about it. Then God did what He said He was going to do. Nothing deceptive.

And what reason did God give Noah for why he needed to do it?

Im going with the Bible.

Quantrill

Ok, well according to the Bible, 2000 = 3000, so when it says it rained for 40 days, that might just mean it rained for a day and a half and flooded a small village in turkey, wiping out all but eight people in that village.

Genesis is a history and a science book. So far as we know there is no scientific evidence that refutes Genesis. In fact there is a lot of scientific findings that support the teachings of a grand creation account and timeline of the flood.
There is no science backing the great flood. I'll just ignore the creation aspect of your assertion since its a belief.

A.k.a. magic.

And what reason did God give Noah for why he needed to do it?

No, the power of God.

To save His people from the wickedness of the world.

Quantrill

Ok, well according to the Bible, 2000 = 3000, so when it says it rained for 40 days, that might just mean it rained for a day and a half and flooded a small village in turkey, wiping out all but eight people in that village.

Not sure what you mean. It says 40 and I see nothing to indicate otherwise. So, 40 it is. And the whole earth.

Quantrill

There is no science backing the great flood. I'll just ignore the creation aspect of your assertion since its a belief.

Thats fine. We as Chrilstians ignore your science when it runs contridictory to the Word of God. Understandable.

Quantrill

Not sure what you mean. It says 40 and I see nothing to indicate otherwise. So, 40 it is. And the whole earth.

Quantrill

1 Kings 7:26 and 2 Chronicles 4:5

No, the power of God.

To save His people from the wickedness of the world.

Quantrill

Anyway, the people and animals were kept alive by divine non-magical supernatural power. Being on a boat had nothing to do with their survival. The boat was just a facade to demonstrate Noah's devotion and trust. There are so many problems with the concept of surviving a worldwide flood with a 450' boat made of cypress that the only solution is 'God kept them alive by using his magi- er... Divine power.

The Bible is not wrong. The Bible is full of allegories.

Was there really a universal flood during which Noah went to all of the seven continents and gathered up millions of species, brought them home and saved them on a boat? Did he then let them all go on Mount Ararat, from where they found their way back home and repopulated from a breeding population of two?

No, of course not.

Is it a good idea to be prepared for natural disasters, like floods?

umm... ask the folks in New Orleans about that one.

It's a lot like Aesop and his fables. Do we have to believe that a talking fox actually tried for a bunch of grapes beyond its reach in order to understand the concept of sour grapes?

Are Aesop's fables wrong?

The Bible is not wrong. The Bible is full of allegories.

Was there really a universal flood during which Noah went to all of the seven continents and gathered up millions of species, brought them home and saved them on a boat? Did he then let them all go on Mount Ararat, from where they found their way back home and repopulated from a breeding population of two?

No, of course not.

Is it a good idea to be prepared for natural disasters, like floods?

umm... ask the folks in New Orleans about that one.

It's a lot like Aesop and his fables. Do we have to believe that a talking fox actually tried for a bunch of grapes beyond its reach in order to understand the concept of sour grapes?

Are Aesop's fables wrong?

The moral of the story isn't 'be prepared for natural disasters' its 'trust in God and maybe He'll spare you when He slaughters everyone else.'

The moral of the story isn't 'be prepared for natural disasters' its 'trust in God and maybe He'll spare you when He slaughters everyone else.'

Trust in god, but be prepared. It wasn't raining when Noah started building the ark.

People in those days were big on god destroying evil people, by which they meant their enemies. I don't think god was so much into it, though.

1 Kings 7:26 and 2 Chronicles 4:5

I do not know why there is a difference in the measurement here. As Kings and Chronicles each have a different emphasis, there is something to be learned here, but I don't have the answer. But with the flood, there was no difference in the days of the flood.

Quantrill

Back
Top Bottom