• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2010-2011 NHL Thread

Any one taking bets on how long before the new Jets move back the the US?

I think another franchise will be moved to Canada before that happens.

Long Island. The Isles will be moving to New Mexico before long, but will probably keep their name.

This is pretty much pending on if Charles Wang gets his stadium deal there is a huge fight going on in Long Island over it.

It will be at least five years as all the games are completely sold out until then.

And they'll only barely make a profit. If the Thrashers are still the Thrashers up there, no way in hell people are going to sell out every game to watch that team at the prices they need to charge up there. There going to bleed money eventually.

And they'll only barely make a profit. If the Thrashers are still the Thrashers up there, no way in hell people are going to sell out every game to watch that team at the prices they need to charge up there. There going to bleed money eventually.

You under estimate the power of Canadian hockey.

I'm saying he is picking on YS. He deserves it. Plus I still enjoy rubbing it in.

Pfft... Bastard ^_^

Plus my point was that any city above 150'000 people here in Canada could support an NHL team. She underestimates the fact of how crazy we are about hockey, the New Jets will sell out every game for at least 10 seasons, if not more. The Habs sell out every game, and have been doing so for ages. So has Toronto, and Vancouver. Maybe Edmonton and Calgary also almost fill up each game night.

Trashers average attendance was 13'000, 70% of the stadiums cap.
Panthers was better but still only 15'000.
Islanders did the worse at 68% of the setting cap at Madison Square Gardens.

2010-2011 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

Thats what I was getting at.

PS Based on this list, I never knew Chicago was a big Hockey city.

Last edited:
Winnipeg isn't Toronto, they won't sell out every game once the "honeymoon" phase is over, and the team doesn't win. And even if they fill 90% of the building they will lose money because the building sucks. And Chicago wasn't a big hockey city, until they started winning. I love it when people prove my point, look at Chicago's attendance against our attendance right after the lock out, and we had better attendance then they did. The difference is they started winning on a consistent basis, and we didn't. Their team got better, and our owners put in as little money as possible towards the team, and let it die. If we had a competent owner, who cared about the hockey team(in a radio interview one of our owners didn't know who the damn captain of the team was) they wouldn't have been moved, and Atlanta would have been a success as a market, just like Dallas, Carolina, Nashville.

And Chicago wasn't a big hockey city, until they started winning. I love it when people prove my point, look at Chicago's attendance against our attendance right after the lock out, and we had better attendance then they did. The difference is they started winning on a consistent basis, and we didn't.

Actually, that's not entirely accurate. We started winning, yes, but even more importantly they started televising the home games and Bill Wirtz finally croaked.

The lack of attendance was in no small part due to a city-wide hatred for Bill Wirtz. Immediately upon his demise, the team began drawing fans again. There was a spike in the average game attendance immediately, even though 2007-2008 was not a Playoff year for the Hawks.

Do not underestimate the effect that Chicago's visceral hatred of Bill Wirtz had on attendance.

Actually, that's not entirely accurate. We started winning, yes, but even more importantly they started televising the home games and Bill Wirtz finally croaked.

The lack of attendance was in no small part due to a city-wide hatred for Bill Wirtz. Immediately upon his demise, the team began drawing fans again. There was a spike in the average game attendance immediately, even though 2007-2008 was not a Playoff year for the Hawks.

Do not underestimate the effect that Chicago's visceral hatred of Bill Wirtz had on attendance.

And that same hatred is shared down here for the Atlanta Spirit Group. Even the Hawks don't have good attendance because people don't like giving them money.

Well played. Cup is still in Boston though and the most important player is still American.

Oh hi there.

Tim-Thomas-Stanley-Cup-Champion1.jpg

Can they bump up the next Olympics?

I lose my team, and now you bring that back up. Your a mean beaver.

Winnipeg isn't Toronto, they won't sell out every game once the "honeymoon" phase is over, and the team doesn't win. And even if they fill 90% of the building they will lose money because the building sucks. And Chicago wasn't a big hockey city, until they started winning. I love it when people prove my point, look at Chicago's attendance against our attendance right after the lock out, and we had better attendance then they did. The difference is they started winning on a consistent basis, and we didn't. Their team got better, and our owners put in as little money as possible towards the team, and let it die. If we had a competent owner, who cared about the hockey team(in a radio interview one of our owners didn't know who the damn captain of the team was) they wouldn't have been moved, and Atlanta would have been a success as a market, just like Dallas, Carolina, Nashville.

Again, you are underestimating our people's love for hockey. Toronto did terribly, and Edmonton was dead last in the entire league, and what happened? They still sell out every game.

Plus with Winnipeg, it's not just Winnipeg supporting the team, it the entire province, and Saskatchewan too.

Again, you are underestimating our people's love for hockey. Toronto did terribly, and Edmonton was dead last in the entire league, and what happened? They still sell out every game.

Plus with Winnipeg, it's not just Winnipeg supporting the team, it the entire province, and Saskatchewan too.

And Ottawa doesn't. Just because it's in Canada doesn't mean they will tolerate losing.

And Ottawa doesn't. Just because it's in Canada doesn't mean they will tolerate losing.

Seems to happen quite a bit in Toronto.

Toronto has one of the largest fan bases in the League, and they have their own TV Channel, they've sold out ever game for who knows how long, but they've done terribly in the past 10 years.

Seems to happen quite a bit in Toronto.

Toronto has one of the largest fan bases in the League, and they have their own TV Channel, they've sold out ever game for who knows how long, but they've done terribly in the past 10 years.

And this doesn't refute my point at all.

And this doesn't refute my point at all.

90% of the population give a **** about hockey here. I'd say the Thrashers might have had some where from 250'000 to 500'000 die hard fans. Yourself included. While here, that has been doing just as poorly as Atlanta did, Edmonton, commands at least 2'000'000 fans. Hockey is a big deal here.

90% of the population give a **** about hockey here. I'd say the Thrashers might have had some where from 250'000 to 500'000 die hard fans. Yourself included. While here, that has been doing just as poorly as Atlanta did, Edmonton, commands at least 2'000'000 fans. Hockey is a big deal here.

Not every Canadian city is a sure thing for NHL hockey. Winnipeg isn't a sure thing, it has to go perfect for them to make a profit. And it won't, they will lose money.

And I'd suggest looking into the situation down here if you want to know how royally screwed over the hockey fans down here got. Just don't look at the Canadian media for info, they are biased, and only want to tell the story they want.
We are a hockey market, and that is proven by the Glads, and the tremendous amount of people, kids, and adults who play hockey here. It's a damn shame we had to lose our team due to corruption, and greed.

Not every Canadian city is a sure thing for NHL hockey. Winnipeg isn't a sure thing, it has to go perfect for them to make a profit. And it won't, they will lose money.

And I'd suggest looking into the situation down here if you want to know how royally screwed over the hockey fans down here got. Just don't look at the Canadian media for info, they are biased, and only want to tell the story they want.
We are a hockey market, and that is proven by the Glads, and the tremendous amount of people, kids, and adults who play hockey here. It's a damn shame we had to lose our team due to corruption, and greed.

I'd support the motion of the Islanders moving down there. New York doesn't need two teams.

For now, cheer for Florida or Tampa if you want to cheer for a local...ish team.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom