• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

You can’t be a good Christian and a good Democrat

Well, I was with you until "which is another reason why Democrats can't be good Christians...."

I was attempting to sound as strident as the guy I was answering. I don't know why, they almost never get the point.

A good Christian worries about his own life and doesn't judge others, which is another reason why Democrats can't be good Christians, because Democrats are constantly fretting about other people's money, or religion, or cars, or...

Look at you dripping hypocrisy and judging Democrats.
Typical garbage post.

*raises hand*

Very proud member of the Christian Left.

I am a very proud woman of faith, and a very proud woman on the left.

The fact that you are hot doesn't hurt, either.:mrgreen:

Look at you dripping hypocrisy and judging Democrats.
Typical garbage post.

I was going for irony, and it went over your head, but most things do.

I think the problem is what you might consider a 'Christian' to be. What I mean is there are different beliefs in different denominations of Christianity. Roman Catholic, Protestant, Lutheran, Methodist and Evangelist. I know I'm forgetting some, but you get the point. The word Christian is the overall 'name'.

So while I doubt you will find a Roman Catholic Democrat, you will in some of the other denominations.

Many Roman Catholics are Democrats. Most of my maternal family is Roman Catholic and also Democrats. My mother and grandmother (very Catholic, 4 hours of prayers every single morning, 6 children, just like my mother, even had a jar of holy water to bless us with if she had a bad dream) not only taught me about respect and helping the poor, but also that homosexuality was between God and them, not us. There was no reason to be against legal same sex marriage (this was in the 90s). My mother used birth control, and grandma encouraged its use. Dad was Methodist. Baptists, at least Southern Baptists from my experience, are more likely to not be Democrats than Catholics.

U.S. religious groups and their political leanings | Pew Research Center

Looks like Mormons take the prize though for least likely to be Democrats, despite still having some in their numbers.

I don’t like making statements like this, but sadly I believe this is true now. And before we get into it...I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT MORAL VIEWS OR ETHICS AND I’M NOT SAYING DEMOCRATS CANNOT BE CHRISTIAN.

There. Now that’s that is out of the way. I think there has been a shift in the Democrat Party. And I think it has come even within the past 10 years or so. And it kinda disturbs me. It disturbs me because the people who should care...don’t. They don’t even see it. In fact...they are so wrapped up in their politics that they don’t even recognize that they are doing it. And the reverse is not true in this case. You will not find this sentiment in the republican camp. So what am I saying specifically?

I think that modern democrats have so aligned themselves that many democrats do not believe they can reconcile their faith with their politics. To the point that it seems many democrats feel that being a Christian automatically means you can’t be a real democrat. It even means you are a republican and hold certain views that they find repugnant. And what has this lead to? An openly hostile atmosphere FROM the left against those who have faith. And now. It isn’t “all democrats,” but I feel more open hostility and discomfort if I’m in an open discussion and I mention I’m a Christian. You would think the party of “tolerance” would understand how wrong this is, but it seems to have gone over their head. Completely. You even have some who openly insult people just for having faith.

I personally think this has to do with the LGBT movement of course. That is a given. And many democrats failed to see that this divide...was even in churches. It didn’t just stop at the door. Personally? I’m ok with gay marriage. And gays. I don’t care. Doesn’t bother me. But because there was opposition and the right took up the stance and then the democrats hijacked the movement (once the objective was completed) and now we have the left attacking their enemy the “Christian right.” And it isn’t just about gay marriage now. Does anyone else feel the left has become openly hostile towards Christians (and to some extent Jews or other religions)? If not openly hostile...would you be willing to see more intolerant? That the Democrat Party has decided their views cannot coexist with a “good Christian” or a “good Jew” or a “good Muslim?”

Nonsense

Why? I think the Democrat Party has introduced an atmosphere of religion second to their party. It is certainly a common mentality of younger ages too. There is absolutely a stigma the left has attached to being a Christian.

Why? I think the Democrat Party has introduced an atmosphere of religion second to their party. It is certainly a common mentality of younger ages too. There is absolutely a stigma the left has attached to being a Christian.

If there's a stigma to being christian, it's because christians themselves have perverted the word.

You're blaming the WRONG people. Not too shocking, because looking into the mirror is always harder than pointing fingers at others.

If there's a stigma to being christian, it's because christians themselves have perverted the word.

You're blaming the WRONG people. Not too shocking, because looking into the mirror is always harder than pointing fingers at others.

Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?

Then in my opinion, they are not true Roman Catholics. I don't think you should be able to pick and choose which of the religious doctrines you want to follow. It's this hypocrisy that made me distrust religion for the most part. I was raised Catholic, but do not follow it, or any religion any longer. And yes, conservatives that preach the religious doctrines while having affairs or diddling little boys are part of the hypocrisy that I turned away from.

You can still be a Christian and not accept the hypocricy of others. I do. I, for the most part, avoid churches. It frustrates me, because I used to love the fellowship that came with going to church. I enjoyed seeing people, and watching the preachers get all excited :lol: . But when I find that the church "feels" differently, and "acts" differently than I do, it's time for me to move along. Today's evangelical movement is so far from how we should be. When did it become OK to dislike people because they were a different ethnicity, or a different nationality? When did it become OK to let people go hungry? To take insurance from low income families? When did it become OK to strip the elderly and homebound of having hot meals?

Nope, organized religion is not for me. I have a personal relationship with God, and I pray regularly, and that suits me, and hopefully Him, just fine. A church is just a building.

I'm sorry, I don't see it that way. I'm not saying it's wrong or right, or even that I can decide that. I feel that you cannot cherry pick what goes against your religion. Either you follow it or you don't. Maybe it's because of my own experience, but that is my thinking on it. :)

Happens every day.

For instance, I cannot justify how the Republican party has no issue with cutting social programs for low income families, yet the Republican party claims to be the party of morals, and have the nerve to imply that they are the ones closer to God.

And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.”

The following is a list of Bible verses just about feeding the hungry.

https://www.openbible.info/topics/feeding_the_hungry

So how is it that the right can align themselves with a party that is OK with stopping, or limiting plans that help to feed the poor, when Jesus Himself preached on helping the hungry?

A good Christian worries about his own life and doesn't judge others, which is another reason why Democrats can't be good Christians, because Democrats are constantly fretting about other people's money, or religion, or cars, or...

Republicans are constantly judging other people. They judge them as lazy, as immoral, as un American, etc.

Absolutely. All evil geniuses need sidekicks. We also need theme music, so I will be taking applications for people to follow behind us, playing our theme music.

Happens every day.

For instance, I cannot justify how the Republican party has no issue with cutting social programs for low income families, yet the Republican party claims to be the party of morals, and have the nerve to imply that they are the ones closer to God.

And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.”

The following is a list of Bible verses just about feeding the hungry.

https://www.openbible.info/topics/feeding_the_hungry

So how is it that the right can align themselves with a party that is OK with stopping, or limiting plans that help to feed the poor, when Jesus Himself preached on helping the hungry?

I guess the same way some Christians align with Democrats that are ok with abortion and gay rights. Like you said, it's not toeing the party line.

I guess the same way some Christians align with Democrats that are ok with abortion and gay rights. Like you said, it's not toeing the party line.

Well honestly, I don't care for people who toe the party line. I prefer people who think for themselves. Salvation is a personal thing between you and God. Not you and God and your church, or you and God and the entire, say, Episcopalian branch, or you and God and the entire Republican party. It's just you and God, and what the two of you make of it. Work it out with Him, and don't rely entirely on what people tell you. Man is fallible. God is not.

Back
Top Bottom