• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WNBA 2024 (1 Viewer)

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The city of San Francisco has been awarded a WNBA franchise beginning with the 2025 season. The as yet unnamed team is owned by the Golden State Warriors owner and CEO Joe Lacob. Ohemaa Nyanin is the General Manager. Nyanin joins Golden State following a five-year stint with the WNBA New York Liberty, most recently as assistant General Manager. A head coach has not yet been named. The team will play its home games in San Francisco's Chase Center and an expansion draft will be held later this year to begin filling out its roster. The WNBA hopes to bring in a 14th team for 2026, and expand to 16 teams by 2028.

The WNBA has announced that beginning with the 2024 regular season, all WNBA teams will travel to their away games via private chartered aircraft.

Las Vegas Aces shooting guard Kelsey Plum and New York Giants tight end Darren Waller are divorcing. Waller (who was playing for the Las Vegas Raiders at the time) and Plum were married March 4, 2023. Plum is a two-time WNBA champion, winning both titles with the Aces in 2022 and 2023. She also won the Gold Medal in Women's 3x3 basketball at the 2020 Summer Olympics. Online records in Clark County confirm the couple filed for divorce on April 23, 2024. "I'm devastated. I walked through fire for that man, but now I see it's time to go," she wrote in a message posted to X.

6'7" center Kamilla Cardoso, drafted 3rd by the Chicago Sky, will be out 3-4 weeks due to a shoulder injury suffered in the 1st preseason game on May 3.

The city of San Francisco has been awarded a WNBA franchise beginning with the 2025 season. The as yet unnamed team is owned by the Golden State Warriors owner and CEO Joe Lacob. Ohemaa Nyanin is the General Manager. Nyanin joins Golden State following a five-year stint with the WNBA New York Liberty, most recently as assistant General Manager. A head coach has not yet been named. The team will play its home games in San Francisco's Chase Center and an expansion draft will be held later this year to begin filling out its roster. The WNBA hopes to bring in a 14th team for 2026, and expand to 16 teams by 2028.

The WNBA has announced that beginning with the 2024 regular season, all WNBA teams will travel to their away games via private chartered aircraft.

Las Vegas Aces shooting guard Kelsey Plum and New York Giants tight end Darren Waller are divorcing. Waller (who was playing for the Las Vegas Raiders at the time) and Plum were married March 4, 2023. Plum is a two-time WNBA champion, winning both titles with the Aces in 2022 and 2023. She also won the Gold Medal in Women's 3x3 basketball at the 2020 Summer Olympics. Online records in Clark County confirm the couple filed for divorce on April 23, 2024. "I'm devastated. I walked through fire for that man, but now I see it's time to go," she wrote in a message posted to X.

6'7" center Kamilla Cardoso, drafted 3rd by the Chicago Sky, will be out 3-4 weeks due to a shoulder injury suffered in the 1st preseason game on May 3.
Okay!

See, this is what makes your anti-trans posts so ridiculously hypocritical. You think so little of the WNBA that you come to a thread in sports talk specifically to shit on women's basketball. And then you feign outrage at a M--F trans person playing on a women's team.

If you think the mere existence of a women's league is worthy of mockery, you cannot possibly care who plays in it.

See, this is what makes your anti-trans posts so ridiculously hypocritical. You think so little of the WNBA that you come to a thread in sports talk specifically to shit on women's basketball. And then you feign outrage at a M--F trans person playing on a women's team.

If you think the mere existence of a women's league is worthy of mockery, you cannot possibly care who plays in it.

Wait, they are letting a guy play in the women's league? Wtf?
Has country gone completely mad?

The maximum number of players in the WNBA at any one time is 144 (12 x 12). Some teams go with 11 players to get below the team maximum-salary-cap. Teams with injuries must be able to suit up at least 7 players.

The Top 25 WNBA players of 2024 according to ESPN

1. A'Ja Wilson - Las Vegas Aces - 6'4" Center/Forward
2. Breanna Stewart - New York Liberty - 6'4" Forward
3. Alyssa Thomas - Connecticut Sun - 6'2" Forward
4. Jonquel Jones - New York Liberty - 6'6" Center
5. Napheesa Collier - Minnesota Lynx - 6'1' Forward
6. Chelsea Gray - Las Vegas Aces - 5'11" Point Gawd
7. Jackie Young - Las Vegas Aces - 6'0" - Guard
8. Kelsey Plum - Las Vegas Aces - 5'8" - Guard
9. Jewell Loyd - Seattle Storm - 5'10" Guard
10. Nneka Ogwumike - Seattle Storm - 6'2" Forward
11. Brittney Griner - Phoenix Mercury - 6'6" Center
12. Sabrina Ionescu - New York Liberty - 5'11" Guard
13. Skylar Diggins-Smith - Seattle Storm - 5'9" Guard
14. Aliyah Boston - Indiana Fever - 6'5" Center/Forward
15. Arike Ogunbowale - Dallas Wings - 5'8" Guard
16. Rhyne Howard - Atlanta Dream - 6'2" Guard
17. DeWanna Bonner - Connecticut Sun - 6'4" Forward
18. Allisha Gray - Atlanta Dream - 6'0" Guard
19. Kahleah Copper - Phoenix Mercury - 6'1" Guard
20. Brionna Jones - Connecticut Sun - 6'3" Forward
21. Courtney Vandersloot - New York Liberty - 5'8" Guard
22. Ezi Magbegor - Seattle Storm - 6'4" Center/Forward
23. Brittney Sykes - Washington Mystics - 5'9" Guard
24. Kelsey Mitchell - Indiana Fever - 5'8" Guard
25. Cheyenne Parker-Tyus - Atlanta Dream - 6'4" Center'Forward

Notes:
Candace Parker - Las Vegas Aces - 6'4" Forward - announced her retirement.
Elena Delle Donne - Washington Mystics - 6'5" Forward - is sitting out the 2025 season.
Satou Sabally - Dallas Wings - 6'4" Forward - underwent offseason shoulder surgury and will miss the 2025 season.

WNBA players selected for the 2024 Summer Olympics US Women's Basketball Team (from 26 July to 11 August 2024 in Paris, France)

Ariel Atkins
Shakira Austin
Aliyah Boston
Chelsea Gray
Brittney Griner
Rhyne Howard
Sabrina Ionescu
Jewell Loyd
Kelsey Plum
Breanna Stewart
Diana Taurasi
A’ja Wilson
Jackie Young

If any of these ballers has to drop out, expect Caitlin Clark to be selected.

Head Coach: Cheryl Reeve of the Minnesota Lynx. Assistant Coaches: Mike Thibault of the Washington Mystics and Curt Miller of the Los Angeles Sparks.

WNBA players selected for the 2024 Summer Olympics US Women's Basketball Team (from 26 July to 11 August 2024 in Paris, France)

Ariel Atkins
Shakira Austin
Aliyah Boston
Chelsea Gray
Brittney Griner
Rhyne Howard
Sabrina Ionescu
Jewell Loyd
Kelsey Plum
Breanna Stewart
Diana Taurasi
A’ja Wilson
Jackie Young

If any of these ballers has to drop out, expect Caitlin Clark to be selected.

Head Coach: Cheryl Reeve of the Minnesota Lynx. Assistant Coaches: Mike Thibault of the Washington Mystics and Curt Miller of the Los Angeles Sparks.
Better check your information here. I wasn’t aware that USA Basketball had announced their selection for who has made the Olympic team outside of the coaches. I had read they weren’t going to announce the final roster until sometime after June 1. Plus, you have 13 players listed when there are only 12 Olympic roster spots.

Better check your information here. I wasn’t aware that USA Basketball had announced their selection for who has made the Olympic team outside of the coaches. I had read they weren’t going to announce the final roster until sometime after June 1. Plus, you have 13 players listed when there are only 12 Olympic roster spots.

No final decision has been made on the USA roster as of yet. Happy now?

Do you have any news/facts to contribute about the upcoming WNBA season?

No final decision has been made on the USA roster as of yet. Happy now?
Correcting misinformation shouldn’t be something to be bitter about. I knew that part of your post was wrong, because I had just read extensively on the selection of the Olympic team, and apparently you haven’t. Where exactly did you find that gem of incorrectness, if I may ask?
Do you have any news/facts to contribute about the upcoming WNBA season?
Nope, not much besides the league expanding to have a team in Toronto in 2026, which is a good thing, and the fact that I’m waiting for the start of the regular season on Tuesday night like everyone else. And much like ESPN, I have my own opinions.

Last edited:
Caitlin Clark made her WNBA debut last night in a 92-71 whupping by the Connecticut Sun at Mohegan Sun Arena. Clark finished with 20 points, but she also coughed up 10 turnovers. The Indiana Fever as a team had 25 turnovers. To be honest, both teams looked ragged due to limited preseason games and integrating new players into their lineup. Alyssa Thomas of the Sun finished with a triple-double, 13 points, 13 assists, and 10 rebounds. She's a beast. The Fever host their first home game of the season on Thursday night against the New York Liberty in Gainbridge Fieldhouse.

A'ja Wilson of the Las Vegas Aces scored 30 points and snagged 13 rebounds as the defending champs beat the Phoenix Mercury 89-80. Aces Point Guard Chelsea Gray did not play.

The new WNBA team in San Francisco now has their name.... Golden State Valkyries. The team logo is a V shape, representing both the name and “the unity of a group of Valkyries in flight.” It features the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, honoring the Golden State franchise’s ties to both cities. The new team (the 13th WNBA team) will begin league play in May of 2025. More than 7,500 people have already put down deposits for season tickets, the team said Tuesday. Warriors coach Steve Kerr wore Valkyries gear in a photo shared on his team’s social media. Last month, Kerr said that, like millions of others, he’d been closely watching the women’s NCAA March Madness games. “I’ve been locked in on the women’s tournament. The games have been fantastic,” he said at a news conference.

GNkJDHkbAAM-05J

Has Caitlyn Clark won a game yet?

LOL

TORONTO, May 23, 2024 – The Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA) announced today that it has expanded to Canada by awarding Toronto an expansion team, the league’s first outside the United States. The new team will begin play in the 2026 season as the WNBA’s 14th franchise.

The team will be owned and operated by Kilmer Sports Ventures. Larry Tanenbaum, Chairman of Kilmer Sports Ventures and a 30-year veteran of building championship-caliber teams, is also Chairman of the NBA Board of Governors and Chairman of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, which owns the NBA’s Toronto Raptors, NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs, MLS’ Toronto FC and other professional sports franchises. Under his leadership, the Raptors won their first NBA championship in 2019. The team will play its home games at historic Coca-Cola Coliseum at Exhibition Place in downtown Toronto. It is expected that additional games may be played at Scotiabank Arena and across Canada. The team has also committed to building a new, state-of-the-art practice facility that will be dedicated to the team and community initiatives.

No name as of yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom