• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will History Judge Trump to be a Good President? [W:101]

How will Trump do, overall, as President? How will history judge him?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LessBiased?

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
This is my first post in this forum, so please forgive me if I'm going down a path which is already well trodden. I hope to learn a lot in this forum, and perhaps also contribute in a small way to the discussions.

I think of myself as an independent (neither party resonates with me enough that I want to be a member), I voted for Clinton, and was as surprised as anyone that Trump won the election. Clearly, my understanding of things was well off the mark! Seeing that we're in uncharted waters, I thought I better start paying attention and trying to learn who Trump is, so that I can better predict, at least in a broad sense, how the coming months and years might unfold under Trump's presidency. I'm finding that the more I study Trump, the more I like him and the more optimistic I am about our future with him. If I had to vote today, I think I'd vote for him. Reading 'The Art of the Deal' has shaped my understanding of Trump (he seems to be essentially the same person as he was three decades ago), and I recommend reading that book.

With all of that as preface, I've set up a poll to see what others think about how Trump will do as President.

Last edited:
This is my first post in this forum, so please forgive me if I'm going down a path which is already well trodden. I hope to learn a lot in this forum, and perhaps also contribute in a small way to the discussions.

I think of myself as an independent (neither party resonates with me enough that I want to be a member), I voted for Clinton, and was as surprised as anyone that Trump won the election. Clearly, my understanding of things was well off the mark! Seeing that we're in uncharted waters, I thought I better start paying attention and trying to learn who Trump is, so that I can better predict, at least in a broad sense, how the coming months and years might unfold under Trump's presidency. I'm finding that the more I study Trump, the more I like him and the more optimistic I am about our future with him. If I had to vote today, I think I'd vote for him. Reading 'The Art of the Deal' has shaped my understanding of Trump (he seems to be essentially the same person as he was three decades ago), and I recommend reading that book.

With all of that as preface, I've set up a poll to see what others think about how Trump will do as President.

Could we get him sworn in first?

How history judges Trump all depends on what he does as president.Seeing how he is only president elect Trump I do not think the poll question can honestly be answered.

President-elect Chump embodies the Anti-Christ. Fear not. The human race has weathered the reign of other narcissists. We can weather his reign too! Soldier on!

I think he's shown nothing but positives so far. But... he hasn't even become president yet xD any hypotheticals right now will probably be extremely partisan based.

Well, the first step is him getting into office and from there his actions. Since neither of those have happened, there is nothing yet for history to judge.

If he is anything like the person he presented to us as a Presidential candidate, he will be the worst president ever.

It is too soon to know how history will judge Obama or even W.

You voted for Hillary without knowing much of anything about Trump? Well, at least you're looking into things now.

I'm not so sure this is really "uncharted waters" as we have had presidents with very little political experience before. Some have been good (Eisenhower) and some not so much (Wilson). This will, however, be the first time we elected someone with a resume centered on business instead of war or academics.

The bottom line is that the success of a nation ALWAWS relies on the citizens to a much greater extent than the politicians. The question we need to ask ourselves is not "how good a president will Trump be" but, rather, "how good will we be as citizens whether Trump pleases us or not".

You voted for Hillary without knowing much of anything about Trump?

lulz

Well, at least you're looking into things now.

I'm not so sure this is really "uncharted waters" as we have had presidents with very little political experience before. Some have been good (Eisenhower) and some not so much (Wilson). This will, however, be the first time we elected someone with a resume centered on business instead of war or academics.

The bottom line is that the success of a nation ALWAWS relies on the citizens to a much greater extent than the politicians. The question we need to ask ourselves is not "how good a president will Trump be" but, rather, "how good will we be as citizens whether Trump pleases us or not".

Only time will tell whether Trump what Trump's level of being president will be. So I voted average.....

I certainly pray he's an excellent POTUS but, he's got a lot of things to repair.

To clarify, I realize we're still at an early stage, so it's an early prediction, but we can still make predictions based on what we know so far.

You voted for Hillary without knowing much of anything about Trump? Well, at least you're looking into things now.

I was turned off by many of Trump's statements during the campaign, in the same way that many others were, so I was willing to take the time to vote against him. But since he'll be our next president, and is unlikely to be a status quo kind of president, it's worth spending substantial time to learn more about him and gauge what he might do, to aid my decisions related to investing, my business, fleeing the country, etc.

He isn't even sworn in yet.
328287-678676.jpg

Dood is still 50 days away from an inauguration.

WTF?

If I had to vote today, I think I'd vote for him. Reading 'The Art of the Deal' has shaped my understanding of Trump (he seems to be essentially the same person as he was three decades ago), and I recommend reading that book.

If you liked that book, you may want to listen to the real author of it.

Donald Trump’s Ghostwriter Tells All - The New Yorker

He also did countless interviews before the election and you can probably find them on places like CNN and MSNBC where I saw him at least a half dozen times.

The man has incredible le insight into his subject matter.

I was turned off by many of Trump's statements during the campaign, in the same way that many others were, so I was willing to take the time to vote against him. But since he'll be our next president, and is unlikely to be a status quo kind of president, it's worth spending substantial time to learn more about him and gauge what he might do, to aid my decisions related to investing, my business, fleeing the country, etc.

"fleeing the country":lamo

I like your sense of humor. Welcome to the board.

Havent a clue. We shall see.

Ask me again in three or four years.

At present, the man isn't even in office yet. All I have at the moment is hopes and fears, like anyone else. My crystal ball is in the shop...

President-elect Chump embodies the Anti-Christ. Fear not. The human race has weathered the reign of other narcissists. We can weather his reign too! Soldier on!

Strong the butthurt is with this post, Master Yoda

Seduced by the clinton side of the force, he has been, Obi Wan

Ask me again in three or four years.

At present, the man isn't even in office yet. All I have at the moment is hopes and fears, like anyone else. My crystal ball is in the shop...

In reality-unless he is a Carter level of fail, we really won't know for at least a decade after he is gone out of office

Interesting that so many are reluctant to predict/speculate/guess whether Trump will be a good president. Wasn't that a consideration in who y'all voted for?

Back
Top Bottom