• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why the USA has an archaic system of weights and measures

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The reason is pirates.

170920-pirates-metric-system-feature.jpg

French philosophers developed the metric system in Paris in the late 18th century to make trade easier and calculations simpler. They sent an aristocrat and fellow academic, Joseph Dombey, to the U.S. in 1793 to meet with then Secretary of State, Thomas Jefferson, according to the Washington Post.

The metric system was then made up of two standards of measurement — a rod that measured one meter and a copper cylinder that weighed one kilogram. Dombey traveled with both items.
But on his way across the Atlantic, Dombey’s ship hit a nasty storm and he ended up in the Caribbean where pirates captured him. He died in prison shortly after.

link

So, the USA adopted the British Imperial system, which it still uses. Back in the '70s, the government tried to get us into the 20th. century, but didn't succeed. Now, here we are in the 21st. century, still using an 18th. century system of weights and measures.

Why? 'Cause 'Merica That's Why.

Our military gear only works with our wrenches. The enemy cannot repair or otherwise use our stuff beyond malfunction.

We use metric where it's useful. In daily life, it just does not matter. Most English-speaking countries still use Imperial colloquially anyway.

As for "the 20th century," as they say: there are two types of countries -- those that use the metric system, and those who've landed men on the Moon.

The reason is pirates.

link

So, the USA adopted the British Imperial system, which it still uses. Back in the '70s, the government tried to get us into the 20th. century, but didn't succeed. Now, here we are in the 21st. century, still using an 18th. century system of weights and measures.

The decimal (base 10) system sucks balls. Only two divisors. Base 12 gives you 4 divisors. We need to dump that stupid finger-based system and move to one that gives us the greatest flexibility and ease of use.

:mrgreen:

We use metric where it's useful. In daily life, it just does not matter. Most English-speaking countries still use Imperial colloquially anyway.

As for "the 20th century," as they say: there are two types of countries -- those that use the metric system, and those who've landed men on the Moon.

I'm going to hazard a guess that there aren't many scientific ventures that do not use the metric system. I'll also wager the units used by NASA and related organizations are metric as well.

From NASADATA website: Most of the world uses the metric system. The only countries not on this system are Liberia, Burma (Myanmar), and the United States of America.

"Give them 25.4 mm and they will take 1609.34 kilometers" just doesn't have the same ring to it...

I'm going to hazard a guess that there aren't many scientific ventures that do not use the metric system. I'll also wager the units used by NASA and related organizations are metric as well.

As I said, we use it where it's useful.

But as a matter of fact, we DID go to the Moon using Imperial measurements.

Well we never really............., oh wait, wrong forum.....:mrgreen:

Yeah, and it took 1.609 times longer to get there!

Yeah, and it took 1.609 times longer to get there!

Other way around. When they go 60, it takes them 1.609 times longer to get there than when WE go 60.

Try again, metric can be used - i.e 13 mm is 1/2 inch and imperial are available all over the world.

I try and the wrench slips, especially with real torque like bolts on engines. 1/2 inch is 12.7 mm.

The reason is pirates.

link

Be careful.

Switching to metric has unforeseen problems. First, 60 miles isn't 60 miles any more, it's further....now 100km. So a trucker has to drive 40% more to make the same money.

This one hurts, women weigh more and they hate feeling fat. 1 pound is 454 mg....and driving? Man there are just some people that should NEVER be allowed to drive that fast.,...as you may not realize 60 mph is now 100.

Be careful out there

Try again, metric can be used - i.e 13 mm is 1/2 inch and imperial are available all over the world.

There are wrenches that are close. 11mm-7/16_13mm-1/2_17mm-11/16 etc. You will destroy more fasteners in the long run. There is a solution,

View attachment 67232922

Also known as the West Virginia Ratchet!

Your welcome at my place anytime F&L, just don't pick-up a wrench! :2razz:

I try and the wrench slips, especially with real torque like bolts on engines. 1/2 inch is 12.7 mm.

All that education, I'd think a wrench wouldn't fit your hand! :mrgreen:

Our military gear only works with our wrenches. The enemy cannot repair or otherwise use our stuff beyond malfunction.

Ummmm, I am not entirely 100 percent sure on all of that.
I know AM General was going metric at the time they were making the Humvees.
With some of the MRAP's, like the ones from Force Protection, it's straight metric in and out.

There is some slippage and I have gotten a head stuck on a ratchet. But if you're 15 miles from the nearest road it gets the job done.

In event, most tool kits today are both. If and when the US stops using metric imperial will disappear.

I have to say working with it is much easier...I have always had a problem adding and subtraction fractions. Now measuring is one step, easier

All that education, I'd think a wrench wouldn't fit your hand! :mrgreen:

Well, I told someone to try it. :)

No, this was highschool and my '69 Camaro.

Back
Top Bottom