• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why Romney is NOT electable

If your logic is accurate, why didn't McCain defeat Obama in the last presidential election?

I'll tell you why McCain lost, because many conservatives stayed home.

McCain lost because he was a cranky old bastard who admitted to knowing nothing about economics, sucked in the debates, and selected a dimwit as his running mate.

If your logic is accurate, why didn't McCain defeat Obama in the last presidential election?

I'll tell you why McCain lost, because many conservatives stayed home.

We have been over this. because moderates and independents went to Obama by over 60 %, and conservatives themselves went for Obama 20 %. That is among those who showed up.

McCain lost because he was a cranky old bastard who admitted to knowing nothing about economics, sucked in the debates, and selected a dimwit as his running mate.

dimwit Biden didn't hurt Obama. McCain was a unable to demonstrate he actually was much different than Obama on some major issues and he was in a no win situation after 8 years of Bush and a press that was having Obamagasms constantly

If you made it a two-man race, Gingrich vs Romney, Gingrich would win the Republican field by about 70% vs 30%.

Same with Santorum.

Romney has about 25-30% ceiling with the Republican voters that he can't break. This is because most Republicans are not moderate, but conservative.

Here's another angle for you to consider. Only 24% of returning voters are not registered as either Democrats or Republicans. That means that 76% of people who will go to the polls are registered to one party or the other. Oh and by the way, the 24% are not all independents... the number includes those that are Unaffiliated, Declined to State, Green Party and Libetarian Party.

The number of truly "undecided" voters is actually quite a bit smaller than people who are in one camp or the other.... among those who vote.

Some will stay home based on the choice no matter who is chosen. But, the popular choice will most likely still have the best chance to win in November. That is what it means to be the popular choice. If Paul won, I suspect republican turnout would be a much larger problem, and if Santorum won, moderate republican turnout would be trouble, not to mention Santorum would get killed by the moderate/independent voters. All the information we have so far suggests Romney is far and away the most likely to beat Obama in November. As a liberal, he is the one I fear the most.

dimwit Biden didn't hurt Obama. McCain was a unable to demonstrate he actually was much different than Obama on some major issues and he was in a no win situation after 8 years of Bush and a press that was having Obamagasms constantly

You are correct that the VP choices where basically a nonfactor in the final results. Those most turned off by each where unlikely to vote for either candidate anyway.

Biden is like freakin' Galileo compared to Palin. In terms of policy, McCain's support for the Iraq war was a stark contrast that did him in.

If you made it a two-man race, Gingrich vs Romney, Gingrich would win the Republican field by about 70% vs 30%.

Same with Santorum.

Romney has about 25-30% ceiling with the Republican voters that he can't break. This is because most Republicans are not moderate, but conservative.

Here's another angle for you to consider. Only 24% of returning voters are not registered as either Democrats or Republicans. That means that 76% of people who will go to the polls are registered to one party or the other. Oh and by the way, the 24% are not all independents... the number includes those that are Unaffiliated, Declined to State, Green Party and Libetarian Party.

The number of truly "undecided" voters is actually quite a bit smaller than people who are in one camp or the other.... among those who vote.

How the hell do you figure? Didn't making up numbers in your first post and having them blow up in your face teach you anything?

You are correct that the VP choices where basically a nonfactor in the final results. Those most turned off by each where unlikely to vote for either candidate anyway.

You couldn't be more wrong. I've never before seen prominent, life-long Republicans switch sides just because of a VP nomination, as happened in response to McCain's choice of Palin.

Some people are assuming that all Gingrich/Santorum/Bachmann/Perry supporters will vote for Romney in November if he is the nominee.

These people are also assuming that all Ron Paul supporters will vote for Romney in November if he is the nominee.

These people might be in for a surprise in November.

Don't confuse the fact that you didn't understand my initial argument with it "blowing up in my face." It made sense the first time. I'm just trying to talk to you at your level.

Romney has been at 25% in national polls since the last time he tried to run for president. He has seen Bachmann, Cain, Perry, Gingrich, and Santorum rise and fall while he has remained steady at 25%.

How can you explain that, other than that he has a ceiling?

How the hell do you figure? Didn't making up numbers in your first post and having them blow up in your face teach you anything?

Biden is like freakin' Galileo compared to Palin. In terms of policy, McCain's support for the Iraq war was a stark contrast that did him in.

Biden is a moron. pure and simple, one of the least intellectually capable people to ever hold that office in the last 60 years. far duller than Dan Quayle, Biden was at the bottom of an expensive but low rated law school. Meaning Biden could afford to attend Columbia, Cornell, NYU or Fordham (the four major league world class law schools in NY) but instead he ended up at Syracuse where he finished 67 in a class of 69 or so. He also flunked the Delaware (DELAWARE-not NY, Not California, Not Ohio, Not DC) bar

Biden is a moron. pure and simple, one of the least intellectually capable people to ever hold that office in the last 60 years. far duller than Dan Quayle, Biden was at the bottom of an expensive but low rated law school. Meaning Biden could afford to attend Columbia, Cornell, NYU or Fordham (the four major league world class law schools in NY) but instead he ended up at Syracuse where he finished 67 in a class of 69 or so. He also flunked the Delaware (DELAWARE-not NY, Not California, Not Ohio, Not DC) bar

Well if you want to talk dimwits, McCain graduated second to last in his class at the naval academy. It took Palin eight years to get an undergraduate degree, bouncing from one community college to another -- let alone either of them getting a graduate degree. Helium balloons are weightier than that ticket was.

Don't confuse the fact that you didn't understand my initial argument with it "blowing up in my face." It made sense the first time. I'm just trying to talk to you at your level.

Romney has been at 25% in national polls since the last time he tried to run for president. He has seen Bachmann, Cain, Perry, Gingrich, and Santorum rise and fall while he has remained steady at 25%.

How can you explain that, other than that he has a ceiling?

The fact there are 7 candidates might have something to do with it. Obama was about the same level going into Iowa too, look what happened to him.

This shows that you don't understand the Republican field, which I don't blame you for since you're not Republican.

The fact there are 7 candidates might have something to do with it. Obama was about the same level going into Iowa too, look what happened to him.

Well if you want to talk dimwits, McCain graduated second to last in his class at the naval academy. It took Palin eight years to get an undergraduate degree, bouncing from one community college to another -- let alone either of them getting a graduate degree. Helium balloons are weightier than that ticket was.

much of McCain's class rank issues had to do not with a lack of intelligence or even poor test results but rather to the fact that he was seen as a man who didn't buy into the program. McCain had a reputation for "questioning authority" and bucking the system.

People from lower middle class backgrounds often take years to get their degrees.

as to graduate degrees-Bush had a harvard MBA and gore failed to complete DIVINITY school or law school

Bush went to the Best B school in the world-Kerry went to place where people who cannot get into Harvard Law or Boston University Law end up

Why is "notRomney" a term now used in political discussions?

This shows that you don't understand the Republican field, which I don't blame you for since you're not Republican.

This shows you do not understand the republican field. See, I can make stupid comments that do not prove anything too. Every argument you have made here has failed. It is normal for candidates to have 20 to 30 % support at this time.

I really hate it when kids who slacked at 18-22 are called "dimwits." And I really, really hate it when the assumption is made that there's only one kind of "smart" and that degrees are the end-all be-all.

No, it shows you know how to copy things. Like you just copied what I said. You have a very unique way of thinking and you're quite a handful.

You are arguing against things that are commonly known to be fact. Romney has a ceiling, that's well-known among those who follow the Republican primaries.

Could I prove it? Probably, but it would be tedious, take forever, and unless someone is paying me to do it, you're just going to have to take my word for it. :2razz:

This shows you do not understand the republican field. See, I can make stupid comments that do not prove anything too. Every argument you have made here has failed. It is normal for candidates to have 20 to 30 % support at this time.

No, it shows you know how to copy things. Like you just copied what I said. You have a very unique way of thinking and you're quite a handful.

You are arguing against things that are commonly known to be fact. Romney has a ceiling, that's well-known among those who follow the Republican primaries.

Could I prove it? Probably, but it would be tedious, take forever, and unless someone is paying me to do it, you're just going to have to take my word for it. :2razz:

And again you manage to be wrong. It is well known that Romney has not yet gone above the 30 % mark, but no candidate has gone above 35 %. This is fairly typical very early in the election cycle when there are a bunch of candidates. Going into Iowa, Obama had not been above the 35 % ceiling, so by your logic, he was unelectable.

I agree. I will do the same. This is the problem. Romney will not fire up the base, and that is a recipe for losing.

Obama is going to be more visible and more vocal when the GOP settles. That will fire up the GOP base.

When Gingrich went up to 35%, it was because he got the Cain voters who defected when Cain dropped out.

When Santorum had his recent burst, he did so because got the Gingrich defectors who left him due to the negative ads.

These same voters have been fluctuating between Santorum, Gingrich, Cain, Perry, and Bachmann.

They were effectively splitting the 60% that don't go to Paul or Romney.

Do you not understand that Romeny has not picked up these votes, and there is a reason for that? He has been stuck at 25% while the others fluctuate because there is a strong anti-Romney sentiment among most conservative Republicans.

And again you manage to be wrong. It is well known that Romney has not yet gone above the 30 % mark, but no candidate has gone above 35 %. This is fairly typical very early in the election cycle when there are a bunch of candidates. Going into Iowa, Obama had not been above the 35 % ceiling, so by your logic, he was unelectable.

Obama is going to be more visible and more vocal when the GOP settles. That will fire up the GOP base.

Yeah they will all lob bombs at each other accusing each other of being RINO's !

We have been over this. because moderates and independents went to Obama by over 60 %, and conservatives themselves went for Obama 20 %. That is among those who showed up.

I've not seen that stat before. Where did you read that?

Yeah they will all lob bombs at each other accusing each other of being RINO's !

Whatever brings you comfort.

I caution libs hoping for low turnout. Your boy has a record this time around. He's not fresh and new anymore, and he has pissed a LOT of people off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom