• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Is California The Poverty Capital Of America?

That's the only word you need too. Liberalism has ruined California.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing. Though just a quick scan makes me question the suggestion that "liberalism" is the causal link. The countries just below are Florida (the article states that California and Florida are pretty much even), New York, and Louisiana. That doesn't really support the implied theory.

Anyone got any idea what has caused California to have such a high poverty rate? The article does attribute much of it to housing costs.

California also has by far the most millionaires, and the most wealth too. So it seems California has a lot of everything, and probably quite a bit in-between as well!

My suspicion is that when you have porous borders with Mexico, you're going to get an influx of the poor and uneducated. Texas also suffers from a somewhat similar situation, in that there's great wealth alongside abject poor, and a porous border. And Texas is far from Liberal.

California also has by far the most millionaires, and the most wealth too. So it seems California has a lot of everything, and probably quite a bit in-between as well!

My suspicion is that when you have porous borders with Mexico, you're going to get an influx of the poor and uneducated. Texas also suffers from a somewhat similar situation, in that there's great wealth alongside abject poor, and a porous border. And Texas is far from Liberal.

Texas wasn't stupid enough to declare itself a sanctuary state.

Looking to help poor and low-income residents, California lawmakers recently passed a measure raising the minimum wage from $10 an hour to $15 an hour by 2022 — but a higher minimum wage will do nothing for the 60% of Californians who live in poverty and don’t have jobs. And research indicates that it could cause many who do have jobs to lose them. A Harvard University study found evidence that “higher minimum wages increase overall exit rates for restaurants” in the Bay Area, where more than a dozen cities and counties, including San Francisco, have changed their minimum-wage ordinances in the last five years. “Estimates suggest that a one-dollar increase in the minimum wage leads to a 14% increase in the likelihood of exit for a 3.5-star restaurant (which is the median rating),” the report says. These restaurants are a significant source of employment for low-skilled and entry-level workers.

Way to go CA!

That would violate the underlying principle of justice.

You mean the whole "they are here illegally and have no business being here at all" justice?

F*ck liberals.

You mean the whole "they are here illegally and have no business being here at all" justice?

F*ck liberals.

We as A nation are duty bound to create a system of law that protects the rights of all people and that “so that the strong should not harm the weak.”

I can not speak for the rest of Texas, but San Antonio is very working class, and I am being generous. probably working poor is more accurate. I suspect the money is kept in the Texas oil cities, and that is not San Antonio.

Really.
All the best places in the world to live in are run by liberals.

Yeah, also it seems like many areas with colleges tend to be more liberal than places that do not.

We as A nation are duty bound to create a system of law that protects the rights of all people and that “so that the strong should not harm the weak.”

The illegals have no business being here in the first place. Keep repeating that until it gets through your liberal filter.

Really.
All the best places in the world to live in are run by liberals.

I guess, if your goal is to live in a state with the highest poverty rate.

Going too far to either side is bad.

Yup look at the fiscal mess in Kansas, caused by the Righties and there crap economic policies. Enough blame to go around on both sides.

Back
Top Bottom