• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why I am a libertarian[W:50] (1 Viewer)

Not at all. I am testing your observation.

Quite a bold claim that. Care to test it?

So do you believe people have a right to exist without giving to people? Yes or no?

Well, the Constitution says the judicial branch can only hear cases, and in legalese in order for there to be a case, there needs to be standing, meaning an injured party. Disobeying statutory law does not mean there is an injured party.

The state becomes the injured party in criminal offenses. As California claims "The People of California" or however they phrase it. The state (government) claims to be "the people", the injured party. I agree it is a bit of sentimental sophistry, but that's what they do.

Using a drug offense as an example, the government claims to be the injured party, if nothing else by implication, if a person charged possesses a forbidden drug. I do agree it's nonsense, but they do it.

Using murder as an example, the state claims to be representing the dead person or his family. In a real crime such as murder or assault or thievery, that is a reasonable and fair representation. Unfortunately, our criminal codes these days have more specious crimes than real ones.

Thus in a murder case the state has standing for it represents the injured party.

So do you believe people have a right to exist without giving to people? Yes or no?
It really is a freedom of choice as to whether a person gives something or not.
Are attempting to define altruism as a right? That would require a bit of explaining.

It really is a freedom of choice as to whether a person gives something or not.

Then you agree with Ayn Rand then. What about the right to take? Is that a right?

Are attempting to define altruism as a right? That would require a bit of explaining.

I'm going through her thoughts on it.

Then you agree with Ayn Rand then. What about the right to take? Is that a right?

I'm going through her thoughts on it.

No, i do not agree with rand. Nor i do i see your question as having anything to do with altruism. It is rather simplistic to describe as simply giving people things. That could be just someone giving some one a birthday present. Was rand trying to say that giving someone a birthday should not exist?

I think even rand managed better than to describe altruism as giving people things.

I am curious about something with this thread. I wonder if a libertarian could answer this for me.

Once upon a time i would have thought it impossible for a thread to appear on the topic of " why i am a libertarian" without mentioning rand at least once and usually very much more than once.
You could spot a libertarian easily by the fact that they usually had a picture of one of rands books as their avatar picture. She was the profitess of libertarians.

So what has happened to her? 18 pages into this thread and not one mention of her.

I kind of miss her as it was good fun trying to tear her apart. So what happened?

Maybe they found out she hated libertarians.

Maybe they found out she hated libertarians.

I think that they are sitting back and letting henrin cop the flak. if he canot see a set up when one is thrown in, then his problem. Pure libertarianism here, it's all about me, me ,me and screw any one else.

No, i do not agree with rand. Nor i do i see your question as having anything to do with altruism. It is rather simplistic to describe as simply giving people things. That could be just someone giving some one a birthday present. Was rand trying to say that giving someone a birthday should not exist?

I think even rand managed better than to describe altruism as giving people things.

Read it yourself:

Ayn Rand said:
What is the moral code of altruism? The basic principle of altruism is that man has no right to exist for his own sake, that service to others is the only justification of his existence, and that self-sacrifice is his highest moral duty, virtue and value.

Do not confuse altruism with kindness, good will or respect for the rights of others. These are not primaries, but consequences, which, in fact, altruism makes impossible. The irreducible primary of altruism, the basic absolute, is self-sacrifice—which means; self-immolation, self-abnegation, self-denial, self-destruction—which means: the self as a standard of evil, the selfless as a standard of the good.

Do not hide behind such superficialities as whether you should or should not give a dime to a beggar. That is not the issue. The issue is whether you do or do not have the right to exist without giving him that dime. The issue is whether you must keep buying your life, dime by dime, from any beggar who might choose to approach you. The issue is whether the need of others is the first mortgage on your life and the moral purpose of your existence. The issue is whether man is to be regarded as a sacrificial animal. Any man of self-esteem will answer: “No.” Altruism says: “Yes.”

I think that they are sitting back and letting henrin cop the flak. if he canot see a set up when one is thrown in, then his problem. Pure libertarianism here, it's all about me, me ,me and screw any one else.

Wait...you're actually going to admit to baiting? Ummm....you do realize that is against the rules, right? :lamo

Her definition that really has no other backing than her definition. Basically an echo box philosopher she is.

I'm really not interested in defending her definition or what she said.

Wait...you're actually going to admit to baiting? Ummm....you do realize that is against the rules, right? :lamo

It's not baiting it is simply knowing that any rand follower who walks into this one is going to fail.

Good man getting clever. walk away now while your dignity is only shredded.

:roll: Says the guy that think Ayn Rand was selfish for what she said.

It's not baiting it is simply knowing that any rand follower who walks into this one is going to fail.

I'm not an Ayn Rand follower. It's funny how I already told you this and you decided to bait anyway.

Oh and btw, you just admitted that you were lying. You know, that thing you said you weren't doing.

:roll: Says the guy that think Ayn Rand was selfish for what she said.

Now you are putting words into my mouth as an excuse for lacking the will to follow through on your original claim which was as i will recall for you.

I agree with a lot of things she had to say and found that the way she put them was perfection.

Just another libertarian making claims that can not be justified.

I'm not an Ayn Rand follower. It's funny how I already told you this and you decided to bait anyway.

You really need to work on your ability to figure out where and when to pick a fight. Walk in and make claims you cannot keep and now look for excuses to get out. Should not go around saying her argument are perfect if you cannot even figure out how to support them.

Oh and btw, you just admitted that you were lying. You know, that thing you said you weren't doing
Your the one who claimed it was baiting not i so no lie on my part.

Still not getting far with my question. Is it a case that libertarians have finally figured out she is what everyone else figured her for, a neurotic narcissist and now just leave it to weak libertarians to drown in it. Evolution of the libertarian, leave the weak to die so the strong may survive.

Last edited:
Re: Why I am a libertarian

Oh, you are one of those sovereign citizen jackasses.

stating that one of YOUR fellow DP forum members is a, "jackass" is JUST NOT COOL, period

considering your post is,
1. a personal attack on another member
2. over 48 hours since being posted
I am surprised the mod staff has not deleted your attack on another DP member & offered you an infraction, or a warning

shame ............

You really need to work on your ability to figure out where and when to pick a fight. Walk in and make claims you cannot keep and now look for excuses to get out. Should not go around saying her argument are perfect if you cannot even figure out how to support them.

I said from the beginning I'm not an Ayn Rand follower. I have also not made any claims I haven't supported. How about you explain how what I quoted is selfish. Oh right, you can't.

Your the one who claimed it was baiting not i so no lie on my part.

You admitted to baiting:

Re: Why I am a libertarian

stating that one of YOUR fellow DP forum members is a, "jackass" is JUST NOT COOL, period

considering your post is,
1. a personal attack on another member
2. over 48 hours since being posted
I am surprised the mod staff has not deleted your attack on another DP member & offered you an infraction, or a warning

shame ............

I stand by what I said, I was issued an infraction. I do not support groups who believe in conspiracy theory level bull**** and are well known to be cop killers.

Last edited:
I said from the beginning I'm not an Ayn Rand follower. I have also not made any claims I haven't supported. How about you explain how what I quoted is selfish. Oh right, you can't.
You did indeed and then made a really silly comment such as:
I agree with a lot of things she had to say and found that the way she put them was perfection.
You have not made any claims at all about rand so far you just gave a rather simplistic explanation of altruism that would even make rand roll over in her grave with disgust. I did not say what you quoted was selfish i said it was simplistic

You admitted to baiting:
I only admit to you calling it baiting. Myself i call it fishing.

You did indeed and then made a really silly comment such as:

It was hardly silly. Why did you think your challenge would work anyway? Just because I agree with some of the things she said doesn't mean you can just randomly pick something like I will agree with it.

You have not made any claims at all about rand so far you just gave a rather simplistic explanation of altruism that would even make rand roll over in her grave with disgust. I did not say what you quoted was selfish i said it was simplistic

You brought up the topic about her thoughts on the subject and so I provided her thoughts on it. I'm sorry if it didn't work out the way you wanted, I guess.

I only admit to you calling it baiting. Myself i call it fishing.

So that is better to you or something?

It was hardly silly. Why did you think your challenge would work anyway? Just because I agree with some of the things she said doesn't mean you can just randomly pick something like I will agree with it.

You brought up the topic about her thoughts on the subject and so I provided her thoughts on it. I'm sorry if it didn't work out the way you wanted, I guess.

So that is better to you or something?

It worked out fine for me. That you demonstrate that libertarians now cannot even figure out what she said and express it in their own words is good to know. Once all the weak libertarians disappear then maybe we might here something more intelligent than some nasty rand religion.

That the other libertarians stay silent speaks volumes. Take a page from their book and walk away from this . It is the best you can do.

It worked out fine for me. That you demonstrate that libertarians now cannot even figure out what she said and express it in their own words is good to know. Once all the weak libertarians disappear then maybe we might here something more intelligent than some nasty rand religion.

I can't figure out what she said even if I quoted it? :lamo You're full of nonsense, you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom