• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do you think that Democrats will "take away your guns"?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I constantly hear on this and other message boards that the Dems want to take away my guns and that is the reason I am voting for the GOP candidate. I heard from the NRA and other gun lobbyists when Obama was elected that he was not only going to take away our guns, but keep us from buying ammunition. Many of my friends that hunt were out buying thousands of rounds of ammo. So much to that the local Walmart ran out and many hunters had trouble finding ammo to go hunting. Yet none of this ever happened, even when the Dems had full control of the Congress. I know the Dems want universal background checks, but so do 90% of our total population and even 74% of NRA members. But to me it does not seem that this would mean that they are coming after your guns. IN fact each year more guns are sold to our population which already owns over 300 million guns, all in private hands. So why are those who support the GOP constantly telling us that the Dems are going to come into your house to get your guns, when anyone with a working brain must realize it is just one big fat lie. It is one reason I find it a problem that people are more upset by one man kneeling at a football game to protest people being killed by policemen, than they are about more and more mass killings across this country by guns, knifes, whatever.

Its a old and worn NRA meme that is designed to whip up gun owners to - in many cases - vote for guns first and against some of their own self interests such as economics. And it has worked beautifully.

Its a old and worn NRA meme that is designed to whip up gun owners to - in many cases - vote for guns first and against some of their own self interests such as economics. And it has worked beautifully.

It is old and worn, but they fall for it every time. Pretty soon we'll start getting the posts about how true it is.

As always...…..wrong - wrong - wrong!

Pro gun advocates do not want to see every state lock stepping with the likes of New Jersey, Massachusetts, and cities like D.C.

Nope, these supreme court picks have ensured that the Heller decision will stand for generations. The Democrats don't have the power to do so.

Doesn't change the fact that many want to, like Senator Dianne "Mr and Mrs America turn them all in" Feinstein and her dreams of outright ban of firearm ownership. You can claim she never said it, just like haymarket has accidentally admitted here, but the video like his posts betray the lie.

Well, maybe some Dem leaders should not make statements that show beyond a doubt that if they could that they would seriously infringe on the 2nd A people would not think that is what they want.

This is nothing but rhetoric, NOT LIMITED to any one political party. Discourse has been reduced to exaggerated hyperbole. It’s quite comical how positions are taken to absurd extremes just to demonize the other party.

As the old saying goes, "put your money where your mouth is" and the NRA has done precisely that by spending more than $1 million on pro-Kavanaugh campaign ads. Is that a surprise since Kavanaugh has repeated voted in favor of the NRA and against banning assault rifles? Nope

Well, maybe some Dem leaders should not make statements that show beyond a doubt that if they could that they would seriously infringe on the 2nd A people would not think that is what they want.

Link please

See my sig.

I constantly hear on this and other message boards that the Dems want to take away my guns and that is the reason I am voting for the GOP candidate. I heard from the NRA and other gun lobbyists when Obama was elected that he was not only going to take away our guns, but keep us from buying ammunition. Many of my friends that hunt were out buying thousands of rounds of ammo. So much to that the local Walmart ran out and many hunters had trouble finding ammo to go hunting. Yet none of this ever happened, even when the Dems had full control of the Congress. I know the Dems want universal background checks, but so do 90% of our total population and even 74% of NRA members. But to me it does not seem that this would mean that they are coming after your guns. IN fact each year more guns are sold to our population which already owns over 300 million guns, all in private hands. So why are those who support the GOP constantly telling us that the Dems are going to come into your house to get your guns, when anyone with a working brain must realize it is just one big fat lie. It is one reason I find it a problem that people are more upset by one man kneeling at a football game to protest people being killed by policemen, than they are about more and more mass killings across this country by guns, knifes, whatever.

They will just keep making ownership and possession more and more onerous.

Their idea of gun ownership is allowing you to own one encased in a block of cement.

First your poll for NRA members is very flawed:

The poll was conducted online among 2,703 adults -- including 169 NRA members -- through GfK Knowledge Networks, which specializes in working with academic and government researchers to do polling online. It recruits participants randomly via mail and telephone.

(People who self-identified as NRA members so there is no way to actually confirm their claims. The NRA has about 5 to 6 million paying members. 169 means NOTHING. Even if they were NRA members.)

Feinstein in 1995: 'Mr. and Mrs. America, Turn Them All In'

During a "60 Minutes" interview on February 5, 1995 when discussing the federal assault weapons ban, Sen. Feinstein commented she'd get an out right ban if she could.
The 'Assault Weapons" Ban lasted 10 years and cost the democrats dearly in the next election.

As the old saying goes, "put your money where your mouth is" and the NRA has done precisely that by spending more than $1 million on pro-Kavanaugh campaign ads. Is that a surprise since Kavanaugh has repeated voted in favor of the NRA and against banning assault rifles? Nope

My question with the NRA isn't with it spending money on its candidates, it is where they get their money. In the end will we ever find out where they got all of the money they spent helping to get Trump elected? I do hope so.

First your poll for NRA members is very flawed:

The poll was conducted online among 2,703 adults -- including 169 NRA members -- through GfK Knowledge Networks, which specializes in working with academic and government researchers to do polling online. It recruits participants randomly via mail and telephone.

(People who self-identified as NRA members so there is no way to actually confirm their claims. The NRA has about 5 to 6 million paying members. 169 means NOTHING. Even if they were NRA members.)

Feinstein in 1995: 'Mr. and Mrs. America, Turn Them All In'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffI-tWh37UY

During a "60 Minutes" interview on February 5, 1995 when discussing the federal assault weapons ban, Sen. Feinstein commented she'd get an out right ban if she could.
The 'Assault Weapons" Ban lasted 10 years and cost the democrats dearly in the next election.

BTW, I would never self identify myself as an NRA member. You don't know who is polling or why.

It's like wearing a MAGA hat in public. You are asking for trouble.

Exactly what is an 'assault rifle'?

BTW, I would never self identify myself as an NRA member. You don't know who is polling or why.

It's like wearing a MAGA hat in public. You are asking for trouble.

Exactly.... that is why the poll is absolutely useless. No NRA member would say to an unknown person who says they are taking a poll oh yes I am an NRA member! Phony poll number.

It's fear mongering. It's an age-old sales pitch to sell more guns; that's all.

I'm one of those who believes it is nobodies business to include the government on how many guns I own if I own any at all. I don't belong to the NRA and never have. Gun control is a consideration in whom I vote for, but not the sole deciding factor. If the candidates are relative even on all the other issues, then the one who is against gun control will get my vote. Now I don't ever remember my decision coming down to that.

I wonder if all this NRA stuff is way overblown. I live out in the country, all my neighbors have guns of all sorts, none belong to the NRA. Far as we're concerned the NRA doesn't exist unless I come to a political site like this one or someone is talking about it on the news or some political talk show.

Perhaps it's city folks who are NRA members.

Any rifle you can assault with.

Now, if you really wanna see ignorance, ask the gun banners what a rifle is.

See...heres the conundrum. You say you are a gun owner (at least implied by the use of 'my' and 'our') and yet, here it is in 2018 and you are actually asking such questions. How is that even possible? Seriously...if you are a gun owner and this actually matters to you, how can you POSSIBLY ask why people think democrats want to take away your guns?
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/2095
“(36) The term ‘semiautomatic assault weapon’ means any of the following, regardless of country of manufacture or caliber of ammunition accepted:

“(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any 1 of the following:

“(i) A pistol grip.

“(ii) A forward grip.

“(iii) A folding, telescoping, or detachable stock.

“(iv) A grenade launcher or rocket launcher.

“(v) A barrel shroud.

“(vi) A threaded barrel.

“(B) A semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, except for an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

“(C) Any part, combination of parts, component, device, attachment, or accessory that is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semiautomatic rifle but not convert the semiautomatic rifle into a machinegun.

“(D) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any 1 of the following:

“(i) A threaded barrel.

“(ii) A second pistol grip.

“(iii) A barrel shroud.

“(iv) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

“(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

“(E) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

“(F) A semiautomatic shotgun that has any 1 of the following:

“(i) A folding, telescoping, or detachable stock.

“(ii) A pistol grip.

“(iii) A fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 5 rounds.

“(iv) The ability to accept a detachable magazine.

“(v) A forward grip.

“(vi) A grenade launcher or rocket launcher.

“(G) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

Cont

“(H) All of the following rifles, copies, duplicates, variants, or altered facsimiles with the capability of any such weapon thereof:

“(i) All AK types, including the following:

“(I) AK, AK47, AK47S, AK–74, AKM, AKS, ARM, MAK90, MISR, NHM90, NHM91, Rock River Arms LAR–47, SA85, SA93, Vector Arms AK–47, VEPR, WASR–10, and WUM.

“(II) IZHMASH Saiga AK.

“(III) MAADI AK47 and ARM.

“(IV) Norinco 56S, 56S2, 84S, and 86S.

“(V) Poly Technologies AK47 and AKS.

“(ii) All AR types, including the following:

“(I) AR–10.

“(II) AR–15.

“(III) Alexander Arms Overmatch Plus 16.

“(IV) Armalite M15 22LR Carbine.

“(V) Armalite M15–T.

“(VI) Barrett REC7.

“(VII) Beretta AR–70.

“(VIII) Black Rain Ordnance Recon Scout.

“(IX) Bushmaster ACR.

“(X) Bushmaster Carbon 15.

“(XI) Bushmaster MOE series.

“(XII) Bushmaster XM15.

“(XIII) Chiappa Firearms MFour rifles.

“(XIV) Colt Match Target rifles.

“(XV) CORE Rifle Systems CORE15 rifles.

“(XVI) Daniel Defense M4A1 rifles.

“(XVII) Devil Dog Arms 15 Series rifles.

“(XVIII) Diamondback DB15 rifles.

“(XIX) DoubleStar AR rifles.

“(XX) DPMS Tactical rifles.

“(XXI) DSA Inc. ZM–4 Carbine.

“(XXII) Heckler & Koch MR556.

“(XXIII) High Standard HSA–15 rifles.

“(XXIV) Jesse James Nomad AR–15 rifle.

“(XXV) Knight’s Armament SR–15

“(XXVI) Lancer L15 rifles.

“(XXVII) MGI Hydra Series rifles.

“(XXVIII) Mossberg MMR Tactical rifles.

“(XXIX) Noreen Firearms BN 36 rifle.

“(XXX) Olympic Arms.

“(XXXI) POF USA P415.

“(XXXII) Precision Firearms AR rifles.

“(XXXIII) Remington R–15 rifles.

“(XXXIV) Rhino Arms AR rifles.

“(XXXV) Rock River Arms LAR–15.

“(XXXVI) Sig Sauer SIG516 rifles and MCX rifles.

“(XXXVII) SKS with a detachable magazine.

“(XXXVIII) Smith & Wesson M&P15 rifles.

“(XXXIX) Stag Arms AR rifles.

“(XL) Sturm, Ruger & Co. SR556 and AR–556 rifles.

“(XLI) Uselton Arms Air-Lite M–4 rifles.

“(XLII) Windham Weaponry AR rifles.

“(XLIII) WMD Guns Big Beast.

“(XLIV) Yankee Hill Machine Company, Inc. YHM–15 rifles.

“(iii) Barrett M107A1.

“(iv) Barrett M82A1.

“(v) Beretta CX4 Storm.

“(vi) Calico Liberty Series.

“(vii) CETME Sporter.

“(viii) Daewoo K–1, K–2, Max 1, Max 2, AR 100, and AR 110C.

“(ix) Fabrique Nationale/FN Herstal FAL, LAR, 22 FNC, 308 Match, L1A1 Sporter, PS90, SCAR, and FS2000.

“(x) Feather Industries AT–9.

“(xi) Galil Model AR and Model ARM.

“(xii) Hi-Point Carbine.

“(xiii) HK–91, HK–93, HK–94, HK–PSG–1, and HK USC.

“(xiv) IWI TAVOR, Galil ACE rifle.

“(xv) Kel-Tec Sub-2000, SU–16, and RFB.

“(xvi) SIG AMT, SIG PE–57, Sig Sauer SG 550, Sig Sauer SG 551, and SIG MCX.

“(xvii) Springfield Armory SAR–48.

“(xviii) Steyr AUG.

“(xix) Sturm, Ruger & Co. Mini-14 Tactical Rifle M–14/20CF.

“(xx) All Thompson rifles, including the following:

“(I) Thompson M1SB.

“(II) Thompson T1100D.

“(III) Thompson T150D.

“(IV) Thompson T1B.

“(V) Thompson T1B100D.

“(VI) Thompson T1B50D.

An assault rifle is absolutely, without any shred of doubt, a stumbling block that prevents any cognizant discourse between gun enthusiasts and those who seek to ban them. Nobody should own a military grade weapon designed and manufactured precisely for one purpose, to kill massive amounts of people quickly. Assault rifles are for soldiers fighting enemies in far away countries, not to be held in the hands of a civilian with the potential of slaughtering school children. In May, 2018, there had already been 23 school shootings in 2018. Although there are historically a great number of individual deaths caused by handguns, the number of deaths from people wielding an assault rifle is statistically higher.

70% of Americans favor stricter gun laws. Perhaps people are simply fed up of hearing about kids (and adults) being killed with military style assault weapons while they are in school or enjoying an outdoor concert. Putting aside the question of whether there is the political will to actually ban these guns, would such a ban be constitutional given the 2nd Amendment right to "keep and bear arms?" The 2nd Amendment is not long. It reads "A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

That's it. There is nothing in the text of this amendment about what types of guns people can have, how long someone may have to wait before buying one, or whether certain people shouldn't be allowed to have guns at all. I actually have a problem with the specific wording of the 2nd Amendment since it was written during the time when we had no great army to protect us from the British, or French or whomever might want to overthrow our government. Our 'armies' were nothing more than 'militia' or what we would think of as our National Guard today. In those days, yes.... every man had the right and even the responsibility to have guns in their possession.

cont

“(VII) Thompson T1BSB.

“(VIII) Thompson T1–C.

“(IX) Thompson T1D.

“(X) Thompson T1SB.

“(XI) Thompson T5.

“(XII) Thompson T5100D.

“(XIII) Thompson TM1.

“(XIV) Thompson TM1C.

“(xxi) UMAREX UZI rifle.

“(xxii) UZI Mini Carbine, UZI Model A Carbine, and UZI Model B Carbine.

“(xxiii) Valmet M62S, M71S, and M78.

“(xxiv) Vector Arms UZI Type.

“(xxv) Weaver Arms Nighthawk.

“(xxvi) Wilkinson Arms Linda Carbine.

“(I) All of the following pistols, copies, duplicates, variants, or altered facsimiles with the capability of any such weapon thereof:

“(i) All AK–47 types, including the following:

“(I) Centurion 39 AK pistol.

“(II) CZ Scorpion pistol.

“(III) Draco AK–47 pistol.

“(IV) HCR AK–47 pistol.

“(V) IO Inc. Hellpup AK–47 pistol.

“(VI) Krinkov pistol.

“(VII) Mini Draco AK–47 pistol.

“(VIII) PAP M92 pistol.

“(IX) Yugo Krebs Krink pistol.

“(ii) All AR–15 types, including the following:

“(I) American Spirit AR–15 pistol.

“(II) Bushmaster Carbon 15 pistol.

“(III) Chiappa Firearms M4 Pistol GEN II.

“(IV) CORE Rifle Systems CORE15 Roscoe pistol.

“(V) Daniel Defense MK18 pistol.

“(VI) DoubleStar Corporation AR pistol.

“(VII) DPMS AR–15 pistol.

“(VIII) Jesse James Nomad AR–15 pistol.

“(IX) Olympic Arms AR–15 pistol.

“(X) Osprey Armament MK–18 pistol.

“(XI) POF USA AR pistols.

“(XII) Rock River Arms LAR 15 pistol.

“(XIII) Uselton Arms Air-Lite M–4 pistol.

“(iii) Calico Liberty pistols.

“(iv) DSA SA58 PKP FAL pistol.

“(v) Encom MP–9 and MP–45.

“(vi) Heckler & Koch model SP–89 pistol.

“(vii) Intratec AB–10, TEC–22 Scorpion, TEC–9, and TEC–DC9.

“(viii) IWI Galil Ace pistol, UZI PRO pistol.

“(ix) Kel-Tec PLR 16 pistol.

“(x) The following MAC types:

“(I) MAC–10.

“(II) MAC–11.

“(III) Masterpiece Arms MPA A930 Mini Pistol, MPA460 Pistol, MPA Tactical Pistol, and MPA Mini Tactical Pistol.

“(IV) Military Armament Corp. Ingram M–11.

“(V) Velocity Arms VMAC.

“(xi) Sig Sauer P556 pistol.

“(xii) Sites Spectre.

“(xiii) All Thompson types, including the following:

“(I) Thompson TA510D.

“(II) Thompson TA5.

“(xiv) All UZI types, including Micro-UZI.

“(J) All of the following shotguns, copies, duplicates, variants, or altered facsimiles with the capability of any such weapon thereof:

“(i) DERYA Anakon MC–1980, Anakon SD12.
“(ii) Doruk Lethal shotguns.
“(iii) Franchi LAW–12 and SPAS 12.
“(iv) All IZHMASH Saiga 12 types, including the following:
“(I) IZHMASH Saiga 12.
“(II) IZHMASH Saiga 12S.
“(III) IZHMASH Saiga 12S EXP–01.
“(IV) IZHMASH Saiga 12K.
“(V) IZHMASH Saiga 12K–030.
“(VI) IZHMASH Saiga 12K–040 Taktika.
“(v) Streetsweeper.
“(vi) Striker 12.
“(K) All belt-fed semiautomatic firearms, including TNW M2HB and FN M2495.
“(L) Any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraphs (A) through (K) can be assembled.
“(M) The frame or receiver of a rifle or shotgun described in subparagraph (A), (B), (C), (F), (G), (H), (J), or (K).

That is federally proposed legislation and it has 31 co-sponsors...all democrats.

This is from current legislation proposed in 2017. But democrats dont want to ban guns...right?

Leftist states from California to New York have imposed gun bans.

So what we are left with is you are lying when you say you dont know that democrats are ACTIVELY banning guns in states across the country, are ignorant, or you know and are just complicit. Sadly...we have seen more than a few Neville's running around shilling for leftists on this issue.

Back
Top Bottom