• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Do (mainly Trump critics) Take What he says literally?

Prove it. Post some links.

Nope. That would require me to restart reading your posts, and my stomach couldn't take it. You'll just have to live with your reputation.

Nope. That would require me to restart reading your posts, and my stomach couldn't take it. You'll just have to live with your reputation.

I have never advocated a conspiracy theory. I'm not sure if it was on this board or not but I do remember specifically denying that even though I do not believe in climate change the way it has been presented that I DID NOT consider it a "conspiracy". Just groupthink by like minded people.

If you can't prove what you claim I've posted then you are simply wrong. Though I doubt you will admit it. You are probably simply thinking of someone else here you disagree with.

LOL. Thousands upon thousands come in through the southern land border every month.
And far, far more come in through the border entry points every month than they do by crossing at a non entry point. Far, far more come in via plane or legal means or boats. Deal with the bigger issues first, rather than the small issue that simply appears to be doing something to appease the idiots who dont know any better.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I've noticed over the last three years that a key part of the claims about President Trump "lying" and saying various things that are offensive or just stupid is that people (especially his critics) takes what he says literally.

Does anyone think they could have everything they've said taken literally without looking like a liar and/or an idiot? Could the utterances of any American president stand up to that kind of scrutiny? I doubt it.

I'll freely acknowledge that President Trump has said (or tweeted) so many over the top and/or inflammatory things that it is often impossible for many to give him the benefit of the doubt in what he says, but that doesn't change the utter ridiculousness of taking what he says or tweets literally.

So Mexico literally isn't going to pay for Trump's wall?

I have never advocated a conspiracy theory. I'm not sure if it was on this board or not but I do remember specifically denying that even though I do not believe in climate change the way it has been presented that I DID NOT consider it a "conspiracy". Just groupthink by like minded people.
Of course not. If you believe it, it's, ipso facto, not a "conspiracy theory".

You started this thread with a conspiracy theory. "a key part of the claims about President Trump "lying" and saying various things that are offensive or just stupid is that people (especially his critics) takes what he says literally." It may be of your own formulation, but it's still a conspiracy theory. It is based upon a false premise, easily refutable, that elevates anecdotal factoids to "confirmed belief".

Most of those "lies" are literally just that, and the offensive comments are run of the the mill insults that he deploys like the school bully (and as imaginative) on a daily basis. Just because you don't want to believe objective facts, doesn't make them untrue. And that is how conspiracists approach the world - start with your belief, whether grounded in fact or not, and find elements, whether objectively consistent or not, that support your supposition. Anything that is inconsistent is ignored or explained away as part of the conspiracy.

Last edited:
Of course not. If you believe it, it's, ipso facto, not a "conspiracy theory".

You started this thread with a conspiracy theory. "a key part of the claims about President Trump "lying" and saying various things that are offensive or just stupid is that people (especially his critics) takes what he says literally." It may be of your own formulation, but it's still a conspiracy theory. It is based upon a false premise, easily refutable, that elevates anecdotal factoids to "confirmed belief".

Most of those "lies" are literally just that, and the offensive comments are run of the the mill insults that he deploys like the school bully (and as imaginative) on a daily basis. Just because you don't want to believe objective facts, doesn't make them untrue. And that is how conspiracists approach the world - start with your belief, whether grounded in fact or not, and find elements, whether objectively consistent or not, that support your supposition. Anything that is inconsistent is ignored or explained away as part of the conspiracy.

You don't even know the definition of a conspiracy. A conspiracy has to involve more than one person working together. People taking what Trump says literally even if more than one doesn't make it a conspiracy unless they are working together which I don't claim and don't believe.

So Mexico literally isn't going to pay for Trump's wall?

I consider what Donald Trump said about "Mexico paying for the wall" to be not a lie but an aspirational campaign promise. Theoretically it could happen and I'm quite certain that if the Mexicans wrote the U.S. a check for the costs of the border wall, President Trump would be quite happy and accept it.

For me, I never expected that to happen. I always figured that when Donald Trump said "Mexico would pay for the wall" he was talking in terms of the loss of remittances sent to Mexico by illegal aliens working here when their numbers were reduced. That was obvious at least to me.

I consider what Donald Trump said about "Mexico paying for the wall" to be not a lie but an aspirational campaign promise. Theoretically it could happen and I'm quite certain that if the Mexicans wrote the U.S. a check for the costs of the border wall, President Trump would be quite happy and accept it.

For me, I never expected that to happen. I always figured that when Donald Trump said "Mexico would pay for the wall" he was talking in terms of the loss of remittances sent to Mexico by illegal aliens working here when their numbers were reduced. That was obvious at least to me.

"Aspirational campaign promise"! It was a blatant, cynical attempt at gaining votes, nothing less. As usual he was talking out of his arse and Mexico's president told him to **** off in no uncertain terms. And now the US taxpayer is doing the paying. So much winning!

"Aspirational campaign promise"! It was a blatant, cynical attempt at gaining votes, nothing less. As usual he was talking out of his arse and Mexico's president told him to **** off in no uncertain terms. And now the US taxpayer is doing the paying. So much winning!

At any rate, I don't considered a failed campaign promise to be a lie.

Trump CAMPAIGNED on immigration; that was his 'thing'. It was a lie from start to finish-and speaking of finishing, has the new wall even been begun yet? Only 1,954 miles to go. Should be done by Christmas...

And thus you have proved my point. What everyone else, who consider it rationally and objectively, would deem an obvious lie, you explain away to be consistent with your novel conspiracy theory.* Everyone else is wrong, but those "in the know", know better.

A conspiracy theory is an explanation of an event or situation that invokes a conspiracy by sinister and powerful actors, often political in motivation,[2][3] when other explanations are more probable.[4] The term has a pejorative connotation, implying that the appeal to a conspiracy is based on prejudice or insufficient evidence.[5] Conspiracy theories resist falsification and are reinforced by circular reasoning: both evidence against the conspiracy and an absence of evidence for it are re-interpreted as evidence of its truth,[5][6] whereby the conspiracy becomes a matter of faith rather than something that can be proved or disproved.[7][8]
(Wikipedia)

Trump CAMPAIGNED on immigration; that was his 'thing'. It was a lie from start to finish-and speaking of finishing, has the new wall even been begun yet? Only 1,954 miles to go. Should be done by Christmas...

Every campaign promise a presidential candidate makes is made with the unstated caveat of "if Congress goes along with it".

Every campaign promise a presidential candidate makes is made with the unstated caveat of "if Congress goes along with it".

Honest candidates state the caveat openly. See Barack Obama. He mostly said he'd "seek to" or "urge Congress to pass" what he could not do directly. (You see, he understood how government actually is supposed to work...)

Honest candidates state the caveat openly. See Barack Obama. He mostly said he'd "seek to" or "urge Congress to pass" what he could not do directly. (You see, he understood how government actually is supposed to work...)

Well I give American voters credit for at least having a minimum of common sense and general knowledge so they do not require the obvious to be stated for them.

Well I give American voters credit for at least having a minimum of common sense and general knowledge so they do not require the obvious to be stated for them.

Oh, I give voters some credit. Trump voters, well, that's a different story.

I've noticed over the last three years that a key part of the claims about President Trump "lying" and saying various things that are offensive or just stupid is that people (especially his critics) takes what he says literally.

Does anyone think they could have everything they've said taken literally without looking like a liar and/or an idiot? Could the utterances of any American president stand up to that kind of scrutiny? I doubt it.

I'll freely acknowledge that President Trump has said (or tweeted) so many over the top and/or inflammatory things that it is often impossible for many to give him the benefit of the doubt in what he says, but that doesn't change the utter ridiculousness of taking what he says or tweets literally.

Because they HATE Donald J Trump. All politicians, all say things for effect and say things they know not to be quite true, or completely untrue. As a great example: Barack OBama. "If you like your plan you can keep your plan, If you like your doctor you can keep you doctor." "Insurance premiums will go down."

Back
Top Bottom