• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do conservatives value landlords and employers over families?

And if it was one of the Koch brothers or Trump needing the water, the post would likely be claiming the price was too low.
A seller is justified in setting a price to whatever he/she wishes. A prospective buyer can then accept, decline, or try to bargain for a lower price. If declined, the seller is then faced with having to seek and find another prospective buyer to deal with and if he has to consume the water in his search he may then be put in the position of seeking someone with water to sell.
If you find home prices/rents too high, widen your search area until you find one within your means to purchase/rent.
In other words, if you think $500 is too much then you can just go ahead and die. It's my water!

Funny that you call it conservatives, look at California the land of the great liberals. Its all democrats who own the houses not conservatives. Its the democratic strong holds in the state that restrict access to land to build homes and provide more supply.
Never have I even implied that liberals are blameless. I just expect it from them since they are more individualistic.

The OP title was nothing more than an accusation, a false accusation, presented in the form of a question.
It's not a false accusation. I've found this attitude to be pervasive, especially among conservatives, you included. You tell working families to suck it up and deal with it because landlord profits are sacrosanct.

It depends on what's reasonable and what I'm doing with the money. Is the rise due mostly to inflation, and am I raising my children with the money? Then it's fine. Is the rise due purely to market conditions and I'm spending the money on lavish vacations? Then it's wrong.

Thanks for the reply
We will agree to disagree.

Raise taxes on investment property. I like that idea far more than rent control.

How can the landlord offer the property at a lower rate if he is paying more in taxes on that property to won it?

Your position doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the reply
We will agree to disagree.
Then answer a simple analogy. If I find you dying in the desert, is it moral to charge you $500 for a bottle of water?

How can the landlord offer the property at a lower rate if he is paying more in taxes on that property to won it?

Your position doesn't make sense.
Rents aren't based on cost. Rents are as high as tenants are willing to pay. Cut into their profits and they'll be more likely to sell, which will cause home prices to fall.

Let's say that a 1 bedroom apartment in Los Angeles costs $200,000. Expected maintenance would be $2000 per year. That would mean the actual cost to the landlord is about $200 per month. Let's be generous and say he should charge $400 per month. Do you know what that rent actually goes for here? Closer to $1500 per month.

What about property taxes? Property taxes fall on those who hold equity. Those who own their home pay them and no one offsets it for them. Why should landlords be forcing tenants to pay that when they get no equity?
What about principle on a mortgage? That's pure profit.
What about interest on a mortgage? That's a temporary cost that goes away once you own the property outright. Again, not the tenant's responsibility.

So in this case the landlord is making $1100 per month, while the tenant is likely paying 50% of his total income to the landlord. That's obvious injustice.

When you say the costs are $200.00 per month for the apartment, why did you forget about the $200,000 to buy it? Are there no mortgage fees or interest he has to pay, or other taxes involved?

Rents aren't based on cost. Rents are as high as tenants are willing to pay. Cut into their profits and they'll be more likely to sell, which will cause home prices to fall.

The owner decides how much of a percentage over his expenses he is willing to accept. When the expenses go up, the rent goes up.

When you say the costs are $200.00 per month for the apartment, why did you forget about the $200,000 to buy it? Are there no mortgage fees or interest he has to pay, or other taxes involved?
Why should those fall on someone who gets no equity? Why should the tenant be making your mortgage payment? Would you lower the rent when the house is paid? Unlikely.

The owner decides how much of a percentage over his expenses he is willing to accept. When the expenses go up, the rent goes up.
If rents could be pushed higher they already would be.

Then answer a simple analogy. If I find you dying in the desert, is it moral to charge you $500 for a bottle of water?

imo, it is not the same. Selling a house no one is on the verge of dying and needing water.

Would it be moral for me to pull a gun on you and just take the water? I am on the verge of dying according to your analogy, remember.:mrgreen:

Why should those fall on someone who gets no equity? Why should the tenant be making your mortgage payment? Would you lower the rent when the house is paid? Unlikely.

What other products would you like to offer to poor people for nothing? Does it matter that people worked their entire lives to own property and this is how they make a living?

I wold guess not.

imo, it is not the same. Selling a house no one is on the verge of dying and needing water.

Would it be moral for me to pull a gun on you and just take the water? I am on the verge of dying according to your analogy, remember.:mrgreen:
I'd argue that in that desperation the water more rightfully belongs to you than to me.

And why is it that it would be wrong of me to demand $500?

What other products would you like to offer to poor people for nothing? Does it matter that people worked their entire lives to own property and this is how they make a living?

I wold guess not.
This is a straw man. At no point did I say that these things should be free.

However, when it comes to necessities, those who offer these products and services should keep in mind the ability of their customers to pay, especially when I'd comes to deciding how much profit you'll take.

In other words, if you think $500 is too much then you can just go ahead and die. It's my water!

Keep your water, I wouldn't be found in the desert without adequate water.

Keep your water, I wouldn't be found in the desert without adequate water.
Lol. You just can't bring yourself to call what's obviously evil, evil.

It's not a false accusation. I've found this attitude to be pervasive, especially among conservatives, you included. You tell working families to suck it up and deal with it because landlord profits are sacrosanct.
If you can't afford something, don't put yourself in debt to purchase it. As long as people are willing to spend beyond their means there will be people, both conservatives and liberals, willing to take advantage of it.

Lol. You just can't bring yourself to call what's obviously evil, evil.

If the ask price was $500, perhaps you should make a bid offer and negotiate the price down to something you would find more reasonable and acceptable.
Expensive yes, evil no.

If you can't afford something, don't put yourself in debt to purchase it. As long as people are willing to spend beyond their means there will be people, both conservatives and liberals, willing to take advantage of it.
Sorry, but that doesn't work for necessities. You're not going to tell the oncologist to forego treatment because it would put you in debt.

If the ask price was $500, perhaps you should make a bid offer and negotiate the price down to something you would find more reasonable and acceptable.
Expensive yes, evil no.
You wouldn't hold a grudge against me if I didn't give you the water until you gave me $500?

Doubt.

Because it's true and you'll be held responsible for rejecting it at the judgment.
Sure despite all the ridiculously wrong things in the Bible it’s all true and accurate.
Sorry I don’t care about your silly religion and will not let a fairy tale dictate my life.

You wouldn't hold a grudge against me if I didn't give you the water until you gave me $500?

Doubt.

Well water is worth that an apartment is. You would be gouging if you charge that kind of money for water where as a landlord would be giving you a discount.

If I charged you $500 for a 1969 collector's edition Ferrari would you begrudge me?

Doubt.

Back
Top Bottom