• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who Supports the NRA?

Shannon shows us.

It does beg the question. What the hell is it with old white dudes and their obsession with guns?

Look, I get having a piece for protection, especially for women who are easily out-muscled. But, we don't see a hundred women in that line shown in the clip above. Do we? No. We see dudes, old dudes; white old dudes to be exact.

What gives?
If you search around a little you will find that there were plenty of "people of color" at the Virginia rally, not just white people.

Well if you're a paying member of the NRA makes other gauges of support, somewhat superfluous.

Not at all. Especially when you consider all the things that the NRA does in regards to teaching and promoting gun safety.

Lots of folks.. who support the NRA.. but aren't paying members.. volunteer to put on NRA sponsored safety courses, events and competitions.

Not at all. Especially when you consider all the things that the NRA does in regards to teaching and promoting gun safety.

I could do a better job than the NRA on this...it is to get rid of your gun(s)

Lots of folks.. who support the NRA.. but aren't paying members.. volunteer to put on NRA sponsored safety courses, events and competitions.

Really, if you say so.

I'm somewhat skeptical of that.

I know the NRA is accused of wasting money; including $200,000 on air travel for its CEO in a single month part related to a two-week trip to the Bahamas , $39,000 in clothing in a single day, $13,800 for rent for a summer intern...

"The organization, which spent more than any other outside group to help elect Trump, lost $17 million in 2017, the most recent year in which tax filings are available. Add to this the forced resignation of president Oliver North in April and an investigation launched by New York attorney general Letitia James into the NRA’s spending, an inquiry that could put the group’s nonprofit status at risk...."

NRA Money Went Board Members Amid Financial Trouble: Report

You will never convince him.

I could do a better job than the NRA on this...it is to get rid of your gun(s)

]

Which would make me less safe and create all sorts of problems and issues for me and my family.. and my community.

So when you get rid of our guns.. how do you plan on use controlling predators around our livestock? Throw rocks at them?

So when you get rid of our guns... how do you plan on controlling populations of deer, elk, moose etc.. Deer alone..if left uncontrolled have and will caused countless deaths and injury from vehicle/deer collisions.
How do you plan on controlling those populations to avoid disease and other die offs?
How do you plan on controlling those populations so that they don't decrease farming efforts?

When you get rid of our guns.. how do you plan to protect my family when the police are on average 30 minutes away.. and in areas that I frequent.. they are sometimes 3 days away.?

What do you plan to do with the communities that rely on hunting tourism for the majority of their income... from sales of firearms, ammunition, hotels, boats, trucks, atvs,etc?

Really, if you say so.

I'm somewhat skeptical of that.
You just don't like to admit that you don't know what you are talking about.. see below.

I know the NRA is accused of wasting money; including $200,000 on air travel for its CEO in a single month part related to a two-week trip to the Bahamas , $39,000 in clothing in a single day, $13,800 for rent for a summer intern...

Yeah.. Not the NRA but the the CEO and some members of the board are accused of wasting money.

The organization, which spent more than any other outside group to help elect Trump, lost $17 million in 2017, the most recent year in which tax filings are available.
Right there is why liberals don't like the NRA.

Which would make me less safe...

"Living in a house with a gun increases your odds of death"

Living in a house with a gun increases your odds of death - Vox

So when you get rid of our guns.. how do you plan on use controlling predators around our livestock? Throw rocks at them?
How do you plan on controlling populations of deer, elk, moose etc

No, I would use British gun laws as a basis for a ban. Even strict British gun laws allow for shotguns (single/double barreled + pump action shotguns with a capacity limited to three) and bolt action rifles for hunting/pest control
It seems to preclude the necessity of farmers resorting to throwing rocks to control pests and predators

When you get rid of our guns.. how do you plan to protect my family

How do you think the majority of Americans manage who don't have guns ?
But if you must have one, see above and get a shotgun or a bolt action

What do you plan to do with the communities that rely on hunting tourism for the majority of their income... from sales of firearms, ammunition, hotels, boats, trucks, atvs,etc?

Shotguns and bolt action rifles should suffice for that, no need of a Colt .45 or AR-15

I am reminded of a joke though; a few years ago Georgia issued a new license plate for vehicles with a ppicture of a beaver abd a caption "Give wildlife a Chance"

I wanted to stick on bumper stickers on cars displaying it saying "Only Load Two Shells"

You just don't like to admit that you don't know what you are talking about..the CEO and some members of the board are accused of wasting money

The people who cut checks

Right there is why liberals don't like the NRA....

How does electing politicians gel with improving rifle marksmanship ?

"Living in a house with a gun increases your odds of death"

Living in a house with a gun increases your odds of death - Vox

?

Disproved. The research you provided did NOT say that.. Unless it calculated the actual mortality of a person with firearms vs a person without firearms.. and it DID NOT.

The truth is..having a gun does NOT make you less safe. And I have given you the evidence that proves it.

No, I would use British gun laws as a basis for a ban. Even strict British gun laws allow for shotguns (single/double barreled + pump action shotguns with a capacity limited to three) and bolt action rifles for hunting/pest control
No it doesn't because of the expense of owning firearms. Largely only the rich can own them in the UK.

How do you think the majority of Americans manage who don't have guns ?
They get victimized for one. So if you call that managing.. oh well.

And most of those who don't have guns.. rely a lot on those of us that do. For example my neighbor cannot own a firearm because his son is on parole. So I get called over to deal with the coyotes when they are killing his lambs.

Cripes 40% of American households report having firearms... and that's only those willing to REPORT to some person over the phone that they have a firearm in the house.

The fact is.. that most americans have guns. or will have guns in their lifetime..or live with someone who does. I bet that in your neighborhood in Georgia.. you are the odd man out that doesn't own firearms.

Oh wait.. don't you say you owned firearms?????

Shotguns and bolt action rifles should suffice for that, no need of a Colt .45 or AR-15

Sure their is. Its pretty hard to work on a ranch and carry a shotgun in one hand and throw a rope or cut a steer out of wire.. or a myriad of other things. Its a heck of a lot easier to do those things with a Colt.

And an AR -15? Pretty much can't get to much better for a defensive use firearm for coyotes or two legged critters as well. . Its reliable, low recoil, has a larger magazine..etc..

And a lot farther range than a shotgun.

Look man.. you didn't even begin to think why someone living where I do would need them... and now you are going to tell me.. what firearms are best for me?

You are so silly.

The people who cut checks
Actually their are a lot more people that cut checks.

How does electing politicians gel with improving rifle marksmanship ?

hand in hand.. which is why the NRA had to add a lobbying wing to its non profit marksmanship. Heck..many of the rifles and shotguns that are used for competitions like "three gun"... are the very guns that you would outlaw as being "assault weapons".

Best AR-15s for 3-Gun Competition Across All Budgets - Pew Pew Tactical

The NRA has to defend against folks like you.. that have such a tremendous ignorance of firearms not to mention paranoia.

Disproved....

You saying it doesn't make it so

The web site I quoted you made that exact claim based on its study.

If you have a gun in your house, you are less safe. ie: the increased danger inside the house outweighs the danger outside of it

Largely only the rich can own them in the UK.

Absolute BS
Yes there are expensive ones but not everyone has a Holland & Holland gun. Every farmer I knew had one and many of their employees

Shotguns | New and Used Shotguns | Guntrader

They get victimized for one. So if you call that managing.. oh well.

Really ?
I don't suppose you have a source for your wild claim that most of America turns the other cheek ?

The fact is.. that most americans have guns. or will have guns in their lifetime..or live with someone who does.

Studies show about 40% of American live in a household with a gun, so 60% live in a household without on.

So you're wrong again.

... don't you say you owned firearms?????

Fired firearms but never owned one or lived in a house with one.

....its pretty hard to work on a ranch and carry a shotgun in one hand and throw a rope or cut a steer out of wire...

And here's me thinking ranches today have trucks

SMH

And an AR -15? Pretty much can't get to much better for a defensive use firearm for coyotes or two legged critters as well.

I'd have though something bigger would be better

I once knew a girl took a 6 month sabbatical from work (the company I worked for used to allow that) to join an arctic survey team. She was issued a .303 bolt action rifle for defense against polar bears when going to the outhouse.

Actually their are a lot more people that cut checks.

But not so many as authorize one to be cut.

hand in hand...

If you say so, it seems to me they spend money like it was going out of fashion and have lost touch with their roots of improving rifle accuracy.

Last I checked 50% of all gun deaths in the US were suicides. I’m for more guns. I figure better they kill themselves with their guns than say drive their car head on into mine. At that rate the problem will eventually take care of itself. Gun owners will exterminate themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, that's saying "we're going to make certain types of guns illegal to own". In no way does that translate to, 'we're coming to take away your guns'.

Really? Sounds like it to me, maybe you should explain how a ban on a large number of firearms is not taking my guns away. Ban AR's, ban handguns to with the capability to carry more than 10 rounds and you ban over 50% and many peoples Firearms, why should I even consider that as acceptable?

Last I checked 50% of all gun deaths in the US were suicides. I’m for more guns....

So more people commit suicide ? And don't tell me suicidal people will kill themselves anyway, they won't. Less will try and of those, more (a lot more actually) will survive

We need less guns, indeed we need no guns (or a state where we have as few guns as possible

I figure better they kill themselves with their guns than say drive their car head on into mine....

Well I figure it's better if they don't kill themselves at all, but I guess that's just me

At that rate the problem will eventually take care of itself. Gun owners will exterminate themselves.

Don't be idiotic.

You saying it doesn't make it so

The web site I quoted you made that exact claim based on its study.

Yes.. that website made that claim.. but their methods and data.. did not show that and COULD not show that.. unless they looked at the overall mortality rate or injury rate .

Which it did not.

If you applied the same methods this study used to say a person and hospitals... the study would make the claim that going to the hospital was more likely to kill you.
Absolute BS
Yes there are expensive ones but not everyone has a Holland & Holland gun.

Yawn.. you are so silly. The rich don't own guns in the UK because the only firearms they can buy are expensive... its because to own a firearm.. in England.. you have to have a reason for it.. which means you usually have to own a lot of property,, you belong to a hunting club, or you shoot competitively... which in general ALL TAKE MONEY... a lot of money. Or at least have to be wealthy in property. Not to mention paying for permits etcs.

Studies show about 40% of American live in a household with a gun, so 60% live in a household without on.

So you're wrong again.

Nope.. right again. Number one.. that 40% of americans in a household with a gun? That is actually the number of households WILLING.. to ADMIT.. they have a firearm in the house. Which is kind of a ludicrous question really.

I mean.. if some stranger calls up and asks you if you keep thousands of dollars or expensive jewelry in your house? How willing are you to tell them you have valuables?

The same with firearms.

So 40% are the ones WILLING TO STATE.. they have valuables.. i.e. firearms in their households to strangers.

Secondly.. almost all gun owners go through periods where they have guns in their household.. and when they don't have guns in their household. I owned firearms in my household. When I went to college and medical school... I did not have guns in my household. I didn't when I traveled for my residencies. When my grandfather got old enough that he couldn't hunt anymore. He gave his firearms to his grandchildren. So again he was a household without firearms.

That statistic..of 40%.. is not only a severe underestimate.. its also time dependent. The fact is.. most people in America will live in a household with a firearm at some point in their lives.

And here's me thinking ranches today have trucks

bWWAAAHHHHH…. seriously... you ever try to haze cattle out of a mountain meadow where the nearest road is 2 miles away? Or ride fence in such an area? How silly.

In fact.. most grazing permits on public ground don't allow any offroad travel with a motorized vehicle. Its either on horseback.. or on foot.

I'd have though something bigger would be better

Bigger usually means heavier to carry.. and or more recoil.. both of which are not generally the best for self defense.

But not so many as authorize one to be cut.

Absolutely there are.

If you say so, it seems to me they spend money like it was going out of fashion and have lost touch with their roots of improving rifle accuracy.

Only because you don't know a thing about the NRA. And you hate everything they stand for.. particularly that they support pro gun politicians.. that of late.. tend to be republican.

Your ignorance of the NRA is pretty much as ignorant as the Right wing is about planned parenthood.

Yes.. that website made that claim.. but their methods and data.. did not show that and COULD not show that.. unless they looked at the overall mortality rate or injury rate...

How do you know it didn't ?
Have you contacted them and asked about their method ?

The study claimed to show that if you have a gun in your house, you are less safe. ie: the increased danger inside the house outweighs the danger outside of it

What they're saying that, even if you accept having a gun in the house deters so attacks, it is outweighed by the chances of you being shot.

...the rich don't own guns in the UK because the only firearms they can buy are expensive... its because to own a firearm.. in England.. you have to have a reason for it.. which means you usually have to own a lot of property,, you belong to a hunting club, or you shoot competitively... which in general ALL TAKE MONEY... a lot of money. Or at least have to be wealthy in property. Not to mention paying for permits etcs.

So how come farm employees have shotguns
In the UK if you apply to have a shotgun license the police must find cause to deny you, whereas if you apply for a hunting rifle you must show proof you should not be denied.

So shotguns are a "shall issue" item

"...applying for a first gun certificate is straightforward and will cost you £79.50 (or £49 for a renewal)..."

How to get a shotgun certificate - answers to your questions

Someone hasn't done the slightest bit of research, just spouted some hysterical wail

...that 40% of americans in a household with a gun? That is actually the number of households WILLING.. to ADMIT..

Or...that is 60% of Americans who admit they have no gun in the house, so it could be higher

I mean.. if some stranger calls up and asks you if you keep thousands of dollars or expensive jewelry in your house?

You're more likely to tell them you have a gun in the house aren't you ?
I mean if what you say is right and guns deter crime ???

...you ever try to haze cattle out of a mountain meadow where the nearest road is 2 miles away? Or ride fence in such an area?

Oddly enough no. But if I were to work on a ranch, I used a 4x4 truck

Bigger usually means heavier to carry... and or more recoil.. both of which are not generally the best for self defense.

Were we not talking about pest an predator control like coyotes ?

Absolutely there are.

Nope, not in any company I've worked for
The number o people able to authorize a check getting cut is very small - I seriously doubt the NRA is any different

Only because you don't know a thing about the NRA....

Just numerous press reports of financial mismanagement

And the state of New York which is now reviewing the NRA's tax status.

NRA’s Tax Exempt Status in Trouble After Senate Probe

How do you know it didn't ?
Have you contacted them and asked about their method ?
e[/url]

I looked at their methods.

The study claimed to show that if you have a gun in your house, you are less safe. ie: the increased danger inside the house outweighs the danger outside of it

Right..which was an invalid conclusion based on their methods.. since it would not account accurately for the defensive use of firearms

For example.. if one person.. shoots himself in the foot.. that counts as a danger in the house.

IF another person..points her firearm at an intruder in the house.. and the intruder runs away without beating up the woman or raping her... that defensive gun use is NOT captured by the study.

And thus.. even though the two subjects SHOULD cancel each other out.. they do not.

I already GAVE YOU.. the evidence of several studies..that were compiled by the CDC at the request of the OBama administration..and they found that almost all studies show that defensive gun use was AT LEAST.. as prevalent as the use of guns in criminal activity.

So how come farm employees have shotguns
Because they have a rich employer.. who probably vouches for their need to have it to defend the rich persons farm.

S
omeone hasn't done the slightest bit of research, just spouted some hysterical wail

BWWAAAAHHH... you didn't even bother to read the WHOLE ARTICLE ..that you linked to!!!!!

Your application even it if gets past the first stage.. is then subject to the police deciding that you have a good enough reason for you to own the shotgun.

and you really think that a poor young man.. in the middle of London.. can say "I want to do shooting sports"...when the fellow clearly doesn't have the money to join a shooting club etc.. is going to get a shotgun license? You are the one being hysterical.

Or...that is 60% of Americans who admit they have no gun in the house, so it could be higher

WTF? No..

You're more likely to tell them you have a gun in the house aren't you ?
I mean if what you say is right and guns deter crime

No.. because while it may mean.. that they will not come into my house when I am there.. (while they may be more willing to go into YOUR house because they know you don't own a firearm).. which of course protects ME..

It may also mean that they may target my house.. when I am gone.. in order to steal my expensive firearms.

Owning firearms doesn't deter ALL crime..never said that..... What studies show is that criminals are less likely to pick a VICTIM.. that they know or suspect may be armed.

Sheesh man...you seem to lack even basic common sense when it comes to this.

Were we not talking about pest an predator control like coyotes ?

Yes we were. See.. here is another example of your lack of firearms knowledge.

Oddly enough no. But if I were to work on a ranch, I used a 4x4 truck

And you would be fired.. because you can't drive a truck and round up cattle in sagebrush or trees, .. you can't drive a 4x 4 truck along fencelines where the nearest road is 2-5 miles away.

The number o people able to authorize a check getting cut is very small - I seriously doubt the NRA is any different

You never worked for a national company then. there are thousands that are authorized to cut checks in many national companies.

Just numerous press reports of financial mismanagement

Exactly.. you know nothing about the NRA.

I looked at their methods.

And ?

Where is the data ?

...which was an invalid conclusion based on their methods...

How do you know the study didn't take account of injuries prevented by defensive use of gun.
The study says the the risk of being shot by having a gun in the home OUTWEIGHS this prevention

I already GAVE YOU.. the evidence of several studies..that were compiled by the CDC, they found that almost all studies show that defensive gun use was AT LEAST.. as prevalent as the use of guns in criminal activity.

So what
The study I quoted you says that the risk of being shot by having a gun in the house OUTWEIGHS any claimed defensive use preventing a gunshot injury

Because they have a rich employer.. who probably vouches for their need to have it to defend the rich persons farm.

Many farmers are anything but rich and they don't need anyone vouching for them. The police must show reason why you CANNOT have a shotgun. Not the other way round

Your application even it if gets past the first stage.. is then subject to the police deciding that you have a good enough reason for you to own the shotgun.

No the police must show a good reason you CANNOT have a shotgun. Where in this process do you have to show "good reason" ?
You were talking about reading properly ???

How to get a shotgun certificate - answers to your questions

Btw, do you also now accept that shotgun licences are NOT so expensive that only the rich can afford them ???

and you really think that a poor young man.. in the middle of London can say "I want to do shooting sports" when the fellow clearly doesn't have the money to join a shooting club etc.. is going to get a shotgun license? You are the one being hysterical.

Enough of your comical hysteria about something you know nothing

Unless the police have a reason NOT to issue a shotgun licence, the answer is yes. And the police don't conduct and means test Btw

WTF? No...

WTF why not ???

Why wouldn't someone say they have a gun, when actually they don't ?

...because while it may mean.. that they will not come into my house when I am there.. (while they may be more willing to go into YOUR house because they know you don't own a firearm).. which of course protects ME..

Or they may be more willing to break into an unoccupied house in the middle of the day because they think there's a gun or guns there to steal

You don't seem to be applying much common sense to this - quite the reverse actually

... here is another example of your lack of firearms knowledge...

How so, why is a 30 caliber rifle (or 7.62x51mm) Not preferable to shooting predators. (though a shotgun is better at pest control).

...you can't drive a 4x 4 truck along fencelines where the nearest road is 2-5 miles away.

Absolutely you can.

Shows your ignorance of 4x4 jeep type vehicles. I drove a Landrover in the army in conditions I'm willing to bet you could never dream of. They will go almost anywhere

You never worked for a national company then. there are thousands that are authorized to cut checks in many national companies.

No there aren't

Thousands :lamo
You have no idea what you're talking about

... you know nothing about the NRA.

The state of New York does and is considering ending the NRAs tax exemption
But like as not, you'll claim you know more than they do.

Back
Top Bottom