• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who should replace Senator Menendez

Who should replace senator Menendez

• Total voters

Anagram

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
A likely coming political battle is over the replacement of Senator Bob Menendez who is facing corruption charges dealing with bribery and non-disclosure of gifts. His trial is coming up soon, and he's likely to be found guilty of at least one. The timing of this is significant since we're in the last few months of historically unpopular governor Chris Christie's term. Democrats are likely to not vote to expel Menendez until after likely winner Phil Murphy is sworn in as Christie's replacement, arguing it's not right to have an unpopular lame duck governor appoint a replacement whose values would likely be drastically different than what New Jersey voted for in Menendez. Republicans will argue that a senator convicted on these charges should be expelled immediately, as it would be inappropriate to let a corrupt Senator remain in office.

for the purposes of this thread assume that:

1. Menendez is convicted.

2. Murphy will win the governorship. (He's up by 25-30 in the polls.)

There's few more high profile corruption charges coming soon ... ;)

A likely coming political battle is over the replacement of Senator Bob Menendez who is facing corruption charges dealing with bribery and non-disclosure of gifts. His trial is coming up soon, and he's likely to be found guilty of at least one. The timing of this is significant since we're in the last few months of historically unpopular governor Chris Christie's term. Democrats are likely to not vote to expel Menendez until after likely winner Phil Murphy is sworn in as Christie's replacement, arguing it's not right to have an unpopular lame duck governor appoint a replacement whose values would likely be drastically different than what New Jersey voted for in Menendez. Republicans will argue that a senator convicted on these charges should be expelled immediately, as it would be inappropriate to let a corrupt Senator remain in office.

Can you say Merrick Garland/Neil Gorsuch?

Can you say Merrick Garland/Neil Gorsuch?

It's a little bit different of a situation, that can be distinguished, but that's part of the reason I ask. Because some of the arguments made are going to be similar.

I would not be surprised to see some shenanigans while Menendez is at trial (judge has insisted on his presence). Another healthcare vote with one missing "no" vote and Pence to the rescue.

It's a little bit different of a situation, that can be distinguished, but that's part of the reason I ask. Because some of the arguments made are going to be similar.

Whichever party hold the power will prevail.

Thanks for presenting a truly interesting topic. Both outcomes have drawbacks and merits, and it will be interesting to see people use their judgement on this one. My knee jerk reaction is to say, let Murphy decide as his decision will be close to the will of the people's.

Republicans would argue that, if Melendez were a Republican and a Republican were leading in the gubernatorial polls, that the Senator should be replaced AFTER he is convicted; innocent until proven guilty ...

Republicans would argue that, if Melendez were a Republican and a Republican were leading in the gubernatorial polls, that the Senator should be replaced AFTER he is convicted; innocent until proven guilty ...

No one is arguing replacement before conviction.

No one is arguing replacement before conviction.

We have 2 plus months to see if your statement is true about Republican behavior ...

Not sure it really matters that much. This seat would not change the balance of power in the senate. Doubt a NJ senator would vote to repeal ACA.

Not sure it really matters that much. This seat would not change the balance of power in the senate. Doubt a NJ senator would vote to repeal ACA.

An appointed Republican might be the deciding vote.

Is there an option to have special election?

I believe for congress open seats can have elections if the seat becomes open.

Assuming Christie would not appoint a Senator who would just be appointed to screw with Trump. I have a feeling Christie at this point does not like Trump very much

Is there an option to have special election?

I believe for congress open seats can have elections if the seat becomes open.

There will be a special election in November 2018 either way. But I believe New Jersey law could not have one any earlier.

My guess is that others would have voted against ACA. McCain took the vote because this is his last term in office.

My guess is that others would have voted against ACA. McCain took the vote because this is his last term in office.

Definitely could be. But I do think there's a real chance this seat could be the determining vote on some issues.

If he resigns or is convicted prior to January 16, 2018 then Governor Chris Christie will appoint his successor until the regular primary election.

I was very critical of Obama's supreme court nominee being blocked until the next election. Because, the political succession system is set up the way it is for a reason. Gaming that system for political one upsmanship is a big part of our problem as a society today. If this guy is convicted before Jan, it's Christie's responsibility to appoint his replacement. Christie was elected, it's happening during his term. That's all we really need to know. If his appointee does a terrible job, the voters will choose someone else in the next election. If he is the deciding vote to repeal the ACA, then so be it. It's not like we can't fix any problems that arise from that in the future, after the next election cycle.

I was very critical of Obama's supreme court nominee being blocked until the next election. Because, the political succession system is set up the way it is for a reason. Gaming that system for political one upsmanship is a big part of our problem as a society today. If this guy is convicted before Jan, it's Christie's responsibility to appoint his replacement. Christie was elected, it's happening during his term. That's all we really need to know. If his appointee does a terrible job, the voters will choose someone else in the next election. If he is the deciding vote to repeal the ACA, then so be it. It's not like we can't fix any problems that arise from that in the future, after the next election cycle.

However, when Obama was a Senator, he opposed a president filling a SCOTUS vacancy in his final year of the term. He even participated in the filibuster.

However, when Obama was a Senator, he opposed a president filling a SCOTUS vacancy in his final year of the term. He even participated in the filibuster.

Whoopdee-do, this kind of political oneupsmanship is the problem. As I stated. Doesn't matter who did what before, if we make decisions out of spite or revenge, because Obama did it, or Hillary did it, or Trump did it, or Bush did it. We are only going to keep going around and around til we implode. It's time to move on, and stop letting politicians game the system. On any side that it is happening. And let things work how they are intended to work.

Just because Obama did it as a senator, doesn't mean it should have been done to him. This isn't a schoolyard playground, eye for an eye has no place in how we conduct our government.

Whoopdee-do, this kind of political oneupsmanship is the problem. As I stated. Doesn't matter who did what before, if we make decisions out of spite or revenge, because Obama did it, or Hillary did it, or Trump did it, or Bush did it. We are only going to keep going around and around til we implode. It's time to move on, and stop letting politicians game the system. On any side that it is happening. And let things work how they are intended to work.

Just because Obama did it as a senator, doesn't mean it should have been done to him. This isn't a schoolyard playground, eye for an eye has no place in how we conduct our government.

I see, it was okay for Senator Obama but when it happened to President Obama it was wrong? Face it, the Democrats lost the election. It hurt.

Back
Top Bottom