• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is responsible for the Moscow terror attack

• Total voters

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
ISIS-K
Homegrown/Southern Underbelly Russia Islamists
Ukraine
Other

ISIS-K
Ukraine
Other
We don’t know. The machine does but not us.

ISIS-K
Ukraine
Other

At this juncture, all signs point to ISIS.

ISIS may have pulled it off, but I would guess someone other than them is behind it. I'm guessing a home grown group, Islamic or not is debatable.

ISIS may have pulled it off, but I would guess someone other than them is behind it. I'm guessing a home grown group, Islamic or not is debatable.

Russia has many ethnic minorities where fundamentalist schools of Sunni Islam are the dominant religion (i.e, Chechens, Dagestanis, Tatars, etc.). Because Russia has been combing through these Republics to dragoon young men in the tens of thousands to be cannon fodder in Ukraine, a group like ISIS would have little trouble finding ready recruits to stick it to their infidel overlords.

Joe Biden.

ISIS-K
Ukraine
Other

...Mr. Putin seemed blindsided by the assault. It took him more than 19 hours to address the nation about the attack, the deadliest in Russia since the 2004 school siege in Beslan, in the country’s south, which claimed 334 lives. When he did, the Russian leader said nothing about the mounting evidence that a branch of the Islamic State committed the attack....

The fact that Mr. Putin apparently ignored a warning from the United States about a potential terrorist attack is likely to deepen the skepticism. Instead of acting on the warnings and tightening security, he dismissed them as “provocative statements.”

“All this resembles outright blackmail and an intention to intimidate and destabilize our society,” Mr. Putin said on Tuesday in a speech to the F.S.B., Russia’s domestic intelligence agency, referring to the Western warnings. After the attack on Friday, some of his exiled critics have cited his response as evidence of the president’s detachment from Russia’s true security concerns.

Rather than keeping society safe from actual, violent terrorists, those critics say, Mr. Putin has directed his sprawling security services to pursue dissidents, journalists and anyone deemed a threat to the Kremlin’s definition of “traditional values.”...

...Mr. Putin seemed blindsided by the assault. It took him more than 19 hours to address the nation about the attack, the deadliest in Russia since the 2004 school siege in Beslan, in the country’s south, which claimed 334 lives. When he did, the Russian leader said nothing about the mounting evidence that a branch of the Islamic State committed the attack....

The fact that Mr. Putin apparently ignored a warning from the United States about a potential terrorist attack is likely to deepen the skepticism. Instead of acting on the warnings and tightening security, he dismissed them as “provocative statements.”

“All this resembles outright blackmail and an intention to intimidate and destabilize our society,” Mr. Putin said on Tuesday in a speech to the F.S.B., Russia’s domestic intelligence agency, referring to the Western warnings. After the attack on Friday, some of his exiled critics have cited his response as evidence of the president’s detachment from Russia’s true security concerns.

Rather than keeping society safe from actual, violent terrorists, those critics say, Mr. Putin has directed his sprawling security services to pursue dissidents, journalists and anyone deemed a threat to the Kremlin’s definition of “traditional values.”...
Who is responsible?

According to the nytimes article:

...[T]he Islamic State repeatedly claimed responsibility for the attack...

If it was Putin who then blamed the action on Ukraine, then it was a pretty neat trick for ISIS to so quickly jump up and take responsibility for it.

More than just using the attack as a means of propaganda against Ukraine, I suspect the reason Russia is so eager to push this off on Ukraine is that they lack the current capacity to retaliate against ISIS in a meaningful way.

Shocked that no one picked Israel.

ISIS-K
Ukraine
Other
Seems like ISIS. They did offer a fairly quick, unsolicited confession.

If Ukraine were able to sneak in fighters, I don’t think they would waste them terrorizing civilians.

The "JV team" strikes again.

Putin is responsible.

It was his job to prevent it, and he didn't.

It’s unfortunate we have to do this with every single thing that happens.

I would say that it is some branch of ISIS or homegrown terrorism from Muslim Russia, but given Putin's history I can't completely discount the idea of a false flag originating in his office.

How did it take to confirm the Chechen bombings were NOT the Chechen bombings?

Hunter Biden

Come on-Isis claimed responsibility and I believe even provided a video as proof.

ISIS-K
Ukraine
Other
..... err... I don't know.

Who is responsible? Didn't some ISIS group claim responsibility? ISIS - K - some Afghan wing of ISIS - which has not been fully described how it is affiliated with ISIS, and who it is and where they come from, etc.

This Reuters article is basically what the public is told - https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/why-did-isis-k-attack-moscow-theater-2024-03-23/

Some unnamed "US official" says that the US "has intelligence" to confirm the Islamic State's claim of responsibility. We have no way to evaluate that information. We don't know who the "US official is" - we do not know how he or she knows what he or she claims to know. Is there an intelligence report? Is it low confidence? Moderate confidence? High confidence? What is the "confirmation" based on? We don't know.

The article provides nothing other than that, and then year-old information about how some general testified in March 2023 about how the Islamic State's capacity to commit acts of violence was increasing and they would be able to strike Europe and the US soon. Nothing specific for us to go on. We are not on a need to know that level, yet.

So, what do we know? Reuters reporter talks to unnamed US official who says something vague about how the US "has intelligence." Okay. Great. I mean, I don't deny it. Sounds fine - doesn't sound crazy. But I ask myself, why can't the reporter name the US official? Why anonymity? What is the person being protected from? Sources are supposed to be on the record unless there is good reason not to be. No explanation for anonymity is given. No source for the intelligence is given. Is it the CIA? NSA? Is there a report? Who gathered the intelligence? Where did it come from? At least -- in general - you know - they can protect sources and methods but still disclose that it was, say, the CIA who gathered intelligence and that it was human intelligence, or forensic evidence, or what.... something to say that at some point in the future we will be able to confirm what is being said.

You know - I don't trust the intelligence community. They lied us into war in Iraq. They lied us into war in Syria. They lied us into war in Libya. They lie lie lie lie. So, maybe this time the are telling the truth. But, I don't consider "reuters reporter claims some unnamed US official claims that there is US intelligence...." to be any sort of evidence at all. It's just some guy saying something. Any of us on this board are almost as reliable as that kind of evidence.

Back
Top Bottom