• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White Girls

LewisTT

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
my*Wife has a few white friends. Like extra white. Extremely white.

Since we had kids they have made it a point to always call themselves “tia”

Is this that cultural appropriation **** cuz it’s annoying as ****

If it bothers you, tell them to stop it.
If they don't stop it, you don't really want to have them as friends anyway.
Real, true, friends, the ones worth having, would respect their friends annoyances like that, and avoid them and wouldn't take offense at having that pointed out.

My wife and I are "white".....My brother is "white"....his wife is from Honduras; my wife, myself, my brothers and sisters are all referred to as Tia or Tio by my nephew and sister and law.

Is that cultural approbation?

Should White people even be allowed to speak Spanish at all?

What the hell are you talking about?

They are your wife's friends, not yours. There is no hope for you but continued suffering. Make an issue out it with your wife, be prepared for the absolute worst imaginable to come.

At this point in time, if you haven't learned you are always wrong, ask any woman, and you deserve to suffer more. :)

Take solace in revered scifi author Phillip K. Dick's theory, "Women are an alien species placed on earth to drive men crazy."

There is no hope.

Castilians, Aragonese, Cantabria, Valencians, Iberians, Catalans, Visigoths, and other ethnic groups in Spain who speak Spanish, their own languages and dialects, are white.

Castilians, Aragonese, Cantabria, Valencians, Iberians, Catalans, Visigoths, and other ethnic groups in Spain who speak Spanish, their own languages and dialects, are white.

I have known many a Spaniard.

I have known many a Spaniard.

Not me. Many from south and central America, the Caribbean, but not directly from Spain.

Here's a tidbit for you, before Rollins and Black Flag, there was another band in the late 60's called Black Flag. But they were named after the bug spray. and were doing heavy metal before there was heavy metal. They lasted about 9 months, caught some underground radio play and disappeared into the obscure oblivion of forgotten bands from Texas. The lead guitarist, Paul Frenke recently made news in Germany. He and a compatriot, living in a German nursing home, escaped and were discovered dancing on stage at German Heavy Metal Festival three days into the festivities. The two escapees demanded of the social service restrainers who were returning them to the nursing home, for more and better beer, where could they cop some lsd not cut with speed, for peyote buttons and mushrooms, man?

I once owned a promo copy of their one and only unreleased album. Truly, it sucked.

I don’t think so. The concept of parents friends being considered/called “aunt” or “uncle” is common cross cultures. The only distinction is the language used for the term and assuming you and your children naturally mix Spanish words in to their English speech, it doesn’t seem unreasonable that your wife’s friends will do the same with your children.

As others have said, it you really object, you should just tell them (or at least tell your wife). It’s perfectly possible that they’re doing it because they thought using the English term could be seen as culturally insensitive. :cool:

Do they make tacos too?

I am white. I am married to a naturalized Mexican. All the kids call me Tio. Maybe try not being so sensitive?

Nope. They are Hispanic. It’s this special carve out among white people to create another “minority”. They’d split the Anglos and Saxons, and even that wouldn’t be good enough.

Nope. They are Hispanic. It’s this special carve out among white people to create another “minority”. They’d split the Anglos and Saxons, and even that wouldn’t be good enough.

That is not correct. The word Hispanic denotes someone from Spain living elsewhere or whose origins are Spanish.

People living in Spain are Spanish.

Ask them. You will learn they have a very different opinion. "Hispanic" is a linguistic condition, not an ethnic position.

On another note, recent DNA mapping in the British Isles, show little if any remnants of Anglo or Saxon descent. Another myth bites the dust.

As someone bilingual and half 'white'/half Mexican... it doesn't matter in my family or with friends. My daughter calls my 'extra white' friends tia and I never thought twice about it.

I also saw some white girl got blasted for singing a tribute Selena spanish song in Texas... like lighten up people. There's also some kid from the Netherlands who sings awesome tejano music. Most people appreciate it but some have to try and ruin it by claiming cultural appropriation too.

Ask them. You will learn they have a very different opinion. "Hispanic" is a linguistic condition, not an ethnic position.

On another note, recent DNA mapping in the British Isles, show little if any remnants of Anglo or Saxon descent. Another myth bites the dust.

Are the brits closer to cheese eating surrender monkey's or to the pillaging Swedes?

"tia" like "Aunt" ? And are you Hispanic or Latino?

I am white. I am married to a naturalized Mexican. All the kids call me Tio. Maybe try not being so sensitive?

That's what I am saying. Dang. Maybe the friends are doing it as a sign of respect for the culture or language?

Sounds like Lewis is looking for something to be offended over.

As someone bilingual and half 'white'/half Mexican... it doesn't matter in my family or with friends. My daughter calls my 'extra white' friends tia and I never thought twice about it.

I also saw some white girl got blasted for singing a tribute Selena spanish song in Texas... like lighten up people. There's also some kid from the Netherlands who sings awesome tejano music. Most people appreciate it but some have to try and ruin it by claiming cultural appropriation too.

Honestly, I don't see the big deal with cultural appropriation. If someone appreciates, and/or is enamored by someone's culture enough to try to be like it, then what is the big deal?

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

With all that's going on in the world today, I swear, people get offended way too easily.

I probably shouldn't cause I sound like a freakin' gringo (so sayeth my Spanish wife who is whiter than white as is the rest of her family btw)

That is not correct. The word Hispanic denotes someone from Spain living elsewhere or whose origins are Spanish.

People living in Spain are Spanish.

Yup. The Romans called the land that is now Spain and Portugal "Hispania"

What does this have to.do.with sex and sexuality?

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom