• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When the NY Times Decides to Spell Out Profanity

In contrast to its policy of not repeating "barnyard epithets," said policy existing only days ago when the Times refused to spell out what Senator Reed said about Farenthold in his hot-mic conversation with Susan Collins, now comes Scaramucci, and what do you know? It's time to abandon any pretense of editorial standards.

From NRO:

Two days later, though, the paper’s policy on reporting vulgarities seemed to have undergone a distinct change when it reported on White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci’s “colorful language” in an exchange with a New Yorker writer. The Times fully, even a bit gleefully, reported Scaramucci’s profane remarks. There is little precedent for a swear word used by Scaramucci ever to appear in the New York Times. Nor is there much, if any, precedent for directly quoting the kind of language Scaramucci used when he described an anatomically improbable act.

...Let’s not pretend there isn’t another reason the Times cast off its usual standards in quoting Scaramucci without using dashes or euphemisms or the catchall term “vulgarity.” Quoting Scaramucci accurately is a way to make the Trump administration look bad, and making the Trump administration look bad is the Times’ primary purpose these days. This has been its primary purpose since long before its executive editor, Dean Baquet, admitted he thought his columnist Jim Rutenberg “nailed it” when Rutenberg, in a column Baquet placed on the front page last August, begged America’s Fourth Estate to abandon (its usual pretense of) objectivity and be boldly oppositional to Trump.

New York Times & Anthony Scaramucci -- It Prints His Profanity, Not Others? | National Review

I've been saying since 2004 that the old grey lady became a two-bit doxy in its shamelessly partisan support for John Kerry, but still, it's good to know that the NY Times has now abandoned any pretense at all at journalistic consistency, much less integrity.

I admit, I did not read both the articles that you presented in your OP. I went back to see if I was being obtuse. Are you really pitting Senator Reed's one word profanity agains the tirade that Anthony Scaramucci laid on the New Yorker? Beat the **** outta someone as opposed to the bile that "mooch" spewed. There is no comparison. Here is a link to a follow up article from the Nat. Review.

Anthony Scaramucci, Profanity & Broken-Windows Theory | National Review

Lots of people swear and use bad language.

I, for one am glad that Trump is causing the 4th estate to push the envelope which is breaking all the prudes out of their shells in the process.. Pretty hard to tell me, I can't say go **** yourself you ****ing ****sucker. When the man in the White House, that many wholesome conservatives voted for, says the same ****.

I'm wondering, are you lefties missing the obvious point of the OP that badly, or is it a little passive aggressive "Oh, I didn't know you meant that" tactic?

So you don't like the paper that publishes truthful but critical articles about Trump and further claim that the NYT is less believable. How, exactly, is publishing Scaramanga's exact words verbatim either "not believable" or "opinion?"

I believe quite something else and wrote as much.

I'm wondering, are you lefties missing the obvious point of the OP that badly, or is it a little passive aggressive "Oh, I didn't know you meant that" tactic?

You mean the obvious point that was based on a lie, or at best false equivalence? That the NYT changed its editorial standards just for Trump cause librul bias! or something?

No, the OP's premise has been addressed by several people and dismissed as bogus, the author of the OP has quit defending his original point, and so some of us are discussing other related issues.

You mean the obvious point that was based on a lie, or at best false equivalence? That the NYT changed its editorial standards just for Trump cause librul bias! or something?

No, the OP's premise has been addressed by several people and dismissed as bogus, the author of the OP has quit defending his original point, and so some of us are discussing other related issues.

Yes, yes, all lies, it never even happened.

Yes, yes, all lies, it never even happened.

If "it" was the NYT making special rules for Trump, and only spelling out vulgarities when it makes Trump look bad, correct, that's a lie. The paper has printed vulgarities in full - Slyfox documented this early on.

If not that, which was a lie, then what is the "it" you're referring to.

Besides, the premise is pretty weak even if true.

Wah, wah, the NYT accurately quoted the new WH Comms Director just to make Trump look bad. They didn't print out Johnny's curse words! Unfair!

Back
Top Bottom