• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Would You Do as Dictator?

right now the middle class consumes the most government services,and yet it pays the lowest percentage of the national income tax at any time in the last 60 years. the top one percent pays the highest percentage of the income tax now. Seems to me the place taxes need to be raised is on the middle class.

That's because after the 2008 economic downturn, tax policy was modified to ease burden to the middle class and encourage consumer spending. That spending in turn went into the coffers of private businesses and their owners. The higher income brackets are paying more because they're making more. Increasing taxes on the middle class during a recession would be a death knell.

For what it's worth, when I mentioned taxing the ultra rich, I was mostly thinking of billionaires. It's mainly their money that is being hidden offshore in tax havens, in the trillions of dollars. The Panama Papers revealed this.

Also, for what it's worth, we need to significantly scale back, consolidate, and reform other programs, including social and military spending. From an accounting perspective, we are hemorrhaging.

If we returned to the pre-Bush era tax cut scheme while continuing easement of the middle class, we could recover part of our economy. The rest would have to come from program reform and ending some of the wars we're in.

What Would You Do as Dictator?

Retire.

Running my own life is tiring enough; I am simply too lazy to bother running everyone elses.

If you we allowed to replace Donald Trump as dictator, what would you do to Save the US economy from bankruptcy?

You still have democratic institutions, but you can overrule any policy you want :)
I am not primarily worried about the US economy. I am worried about the planet. We cannot afford to waste any more time on nicities of democratic institutions. If I am a dictator, I am shoving carban emission standards, anti pollution standards, a climate change international treaty and some very draconian steps to slow climate change whether American's like the sacrifice they are forced to make or not!. If congress does not like my bills , they can be shackled to their seats or arrested , until they do

On all the rest, let the will of the people prevail!

That's because after the 2008 economic downturn, tax policy was modified to ease burden to the middle class and encourage consumer spending. That spending in turn went into the coffers of private businesses and their owners. The higher income brackets are paying more because they're making more. Increasing taxes on the middle class during a recession would be a death knell.

For what it's worth, when I mentioned taxing the ultra rich, I was mostly thinking of billionaires. It's mainly their money that is being hidden offshore in tax havens, in the trillions of dollars. The Panama Papers revealed this.

Also, for what it's worth, we need to significantly scale back, consolidate, and reform other programs, including social and military spending. From an accounting perspective, we are hemorrhaging.

If we returned to the pre-Bush era tax cut scheme while continuing easement of the middle class, we could recover part of our economy. The rest would have to come from program reform and ending some of the wars we're in.

the majority of the top one percent are over taxed, while those at the very top-have the resources to manipulate their take to avoid lots of taxes.

As dictator, I would make the governments first responsibility to find every citizen a job whos willing to work. Now that might sound like a nutty liberal idea, but if millions of homeless people were working, they could be paying taxes, I would then be using those taxes to pay down the debt.

How would I go about finding people a job.

Well for one thing, I would eliminate the minimum wage required to hire a homeless person from the streets.

I would have corporations lining up to get cheap labour.

Now, I would use subsidies for the first 3 months of employment. See the corporations wouldn't have to pay them to work. They just need to prove they are training them, and preparing them to be a productive citizen.

When they get back on their feet, I would use the 5 or 10 years of their extra taxes to rescue the crowed from the streets.

So really it would be revenue-positive.

As it stands a homeless person who shows a little mental illness, 9/10 times wouldn't be given a job collecting tickets at a movie theater.

The high minimum wage, guarantees that some student in university gets hired, because they seem less sketchy to the manager.

See a high minimum wage means anyone with some autism, or some mental illness can't find work, because they're is 5 or 6 students lining up for the same job.

Well the person with autism spends years on the streets, and the other ones get into drugs because the feel unloved because employers kept rejecting them.

I've seen it first hand.

See I believe in embedded productivity.

This means people need to be rescued through hands on experience. I believe every citizen should be forced to donate some time, to mentor someone else. We can compensate through lower taxes or whatever.

Sometimes people need a one on one connection.

Homeless shelters don't provide work, They just make people feel like a burden, so many homeless suffer in silence.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm getting a bit put off by the multitudinous anti-Trump threads littering the Forum these days...even this one which had to add the unnecessary "Trump is a dictator, if you were one what would YOU do" nonsense.

It's why I am posting less and less in the Forum, sadly.

A sentiment that I find myself agreeing with more and more unfortunately.

If you we allowed to replace Donald Trump as dictator, what would you do to Save the US economy from bankruptcy?

You still have democratic institutions, but you can overrule any policy you want :)

Embellish as much as I possibly could, without getting caught.

Resign to a decent home and work on my warhammer models for a good while. Still working on my crimson slaughter at this point... damn highlights.

I don't care about Russia Collusion, and all the FAKE news CNN crap, Trump has increase the deficit to 1.5 billion a year.

Just look at July 2017 to July 2018.

When Reagan Took office, the total DEBT was 1 billion dollars.

This was the total accumulation of debt in 204 years.

If you adjust for inflation, Trump is spending the same in one year, as it took 204 years to accumulate before Reagan.

I hate TRUMP for the right reasons. He's not cutting spending, and draining the swamp to improve economic efficiency.

I hate Trump, because he's not conservative enough.

That is the kind of anti-Trump sentiment that I can at least agree with and respect on precedent alone.

Policy instead of the usual shtick that the majority of the left keeps spitting out.

The first thing I'd do would be to move the capital from DC to St Thomas. DC is too drab and dreary most of the year plus it's a lot easier to keep the riff raff off an island.

Second, I'd start a national program to build a roller coaster that started on Pike's Peak and ended in Dubuque where it turned into a log ride that ended in Port Eads.

I'd redo I-70 so it was surfaced more like Talladega and close it down to ONLY traffic involved with some form of Cannonball Run.

I'd add an extra Friday to the calendar.

And I'd probably save a whale or hug a tree or something to make everyone else happy.

How about legalizing marriage... between Unicorns & Leprechauns?

Since Donald Trump is not a "dictator," and the US Economy is in no threat of "bankruptcy," you have started your thread with two false premises.

Meanwhile, if you don't like the current President, and think the US Economy needs some work, then run for office and get a supermajority in both Houses of Congress. At that point you can do what you think best... for at least four years unless you get impeached. :coffeepap:

Even the left will say that the US is not headed toward bankruptcy. So, this means that the OP is an extremist.

I don't care about Russia Collusion, and all the FAKE news CNN crap, Trump has increase the deficit to 1.5 billion a year.

Just look at July 2017 to July 2018.

When Reagan Took office, the total DEBT was 1 billion dollars.

This was the total accumulation of debt in 204 years.

If you adjust for inflation, Trump is spending the same in one year, as it took 204 years to accumulate before Reagan.

I hate TRUMP for the right reasons. He's not cutting spending, and draining the swamp to improve economic efficiency.

I hate Trump, because he's not conservative enough.

Who do you wish were president?

End the war on drugs by legalizing all drugs. End the war on terror by withdrawing all our troops and bring them home. Dismantle the Fed Reserve, the EPA, DEA, FDA, and 80% of all other federal agencies. End Social Security (its a ponzi scheme) and Welfare. Immigration reform and work to make health care more affordable. End all government subsidies on everything. Demilitarize the police. Get rid of the income tax.

There- America is great again. :mrgreen:

Yowser. I wouldn't run for office if I were you. No wonder why Libertarians always lose.

Yowser. I wouldn't run for office if I were you. No wonder why Libertarians always lose.

Yeah, the country is too immature for libertarianism, even though its the best form of government. :)

Yeah, the country is too immature for libertarianism, even though its the best form of government. :)

LOL. According to you, there should be no federal government. You're saying the best government is no government.

-Declare war on pancakes
-Appoint 6 babies to the Supreme Court
-Issue the DePantsication Proclamation
-Make it illegal to wear socks and sandals
-Make it mandatory to have to brush your teeth before bed
-A free pony for everyone
-Absolutely no one who is a citizen of the United States of America would be allowed to speak, publicly or privately, of Bee Cave, Texas.
-Roller skating is now illegal
-Appoint Vermin Supreme as Secretary of State
-Privatize the Postal Service, but nationalize Disneyland

I'd be a benign dictator. My cabinet would include opoosition politicians, I'd maintain a free press, and I'd release my tax documents.

Libertarianism is one of the worst forms of government. The closest example would be Dickensian England. The poor left to die and 6 year old children working down mines because there's no weldare system.

LOL. According to you, there should be no federal government. You're saying the best government is no government.

Not at all. In a libertarian government, courts and police would still exist to protect citizens against criminals, and so would a robust military to protect citizens against other countries. Our foreign policy should be armed neutrality, like Switzerland.

Libertarianism is one of the worst forms of government. The closest example would be Dickensian England. The poor left to die and 6 year old children working down mines because there's no weldare system.
Poppycock. Many of the rich and private companies would set up non-public charities in a libertarian system. A lot of the rich during the Gilded Age eventually gave away their fortunes and reinvested them into society through the creation of grants and universities- Rockefeller and Vanderbilt were examples of this kind of philantropy.

Not at all. In a libertarian government, courts and police would still exist to protect citizens against criminals, and so would a robust military to protect citizens against other countries. Our foreign policy should be armed neutrality, like Switzerland.

Poppycock. Many of the rich and private companies would set up non-public charities in a libertarian system. A lot of the rich during the Gilded Age eventually gave away their fortunes and reinvested them into society through the creation of grants and universities- Rockefeller and Vanderbilt were examples of this kind of philantropy.

I still find it fascinating that Libertarians have devoted their entire lives to being losers. Do you think you are planting seeds? Is that the deal? You believe that 100 years in the future Libertarians won't be the losers they are now?

I still find it fascinating that Libertarians have devoted their entire lives to being losers. Do you think you are planting seeds? Is that the deal? You believe that 100 years in the future Libertarians won't be the losers they are now?

Well if you want to keep the status quo its going to mean China will overtake America in about 10-20 years. We've got sky high deficits, SS is a ticking time bomb, and our military is overstretched. If you want that to happen then by all means keep voting Dems or GOP.

Well if you want to keep the status quo its going to mean China will overtake America in about 10-20 years. We've got sky high deficits, SS is a ticking time bomb, and our military is overstretched. If you want that to happen then by all means keep voting Dems or GOP.

I really wish you would have answered my question because I am sincerely interested. Your party today is a party in name only. It accomplishes zero. You have absolutely zero election victories of any kind, anywhere. In fact, many so called Libertarians have to run on the Republican ticket because they can't win calling themselves a Libertarian so they have to pretend to be a Republican. But, I still wonder, is it your belief that you are planting seeds for 100 years in the future, because you are obviously no where now and are complete and total losers?

Good grief. You think charities didn't exist in place of state welfare in Victorian times?

Your idea that charity can replace the weldare state has been tried and failed. Not only does it just not produce the amount of money required, it offers no stability for recipients.

I really wish you would have answered my question because I am sincerely interested. Your party today is a party in name only. It accomplishes zero. You have absolutely zero election victories of any kind, anywhere. In fact, many so called Libertarians have to run on the Republican ticket because they can't win calling themselves a Libertarian so they have to pretend to be a Republican. But, I still wonder, is it your belief that you are planting seeds for 100 years in the future, because you are obviously no where now and are complete and total losers?

The LP is the third largest party after the dems and repubs, thats fact. There have been libertarians that have been voted into office, but the mainstream media and the political scene is rigged to exclude third parties. But time will eventually prove the LP right since America is sliding backwards. You'll see this in about 10-20 years thereabouts.

Good grief. You think charities didn't exist in place of state welfare in Victorian times?

Your idea that charity can replace the weldare state has been tried and failed. Not only does it just not produce the amount of money required, it offers no stability for recipients.
Nope, charities do not fail. America became great because of philantrophic rich people, not because of welfare- in fact the nation is sliding backwards because of welfare right now. If poor people want stability then they need to stop being lazy and work for once, instead of panhandling.

Sure a lot a dic tatin’ gwine on :2razz:

Back
Top Bottom