• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What will be Obama's main thrust during the campaign? [W:202/271]

Yeah, all manufactured and or wiggled into being the answer to some promise he made only to a specific crowd at some non-national event or 2,000 a plate rubber chicken dinner. Politifact got that list from the dems. It's the same old tired crap. He's even tried to claim he's made the government more transparent in keeeping with that promise. Lying sack of jawea.

Btw, I challenge you to go through that list and pull out the ones that actually fall under the president's authority. How much of that is what congress did? Almost all of it. In fact most of it was suggested or before congress before he was even a candidate. Some of it is just outright lying - the broadband stuff for one.

See, the difference between me and you...I document my claims. Care to document Politifact getting the list from dems, beyond the fact they are promises made by a dem?

He will not run on his record, nor will he outline what a second Obama term will look like. Instead, he will try to cobble together enough pressure groups to fashion a majority--blacks, hispanics, gays, women, public unions. He will write off white guys and Jews because he neither likes nor relates to either, and hope to get to 51%. No more hope, change and unity, but divide, pander and conquer.

Yes, 187 kept, 72 broken. So saying that he has not kept his campaign promises is obviously false.

But what about all of those that he did not keep? If there's even ONE broken campaign promise, that means he didn't keep a promise.

You know, a man can build a thousand bridges, but tell only one lie, and he won't be remembered as a bridge builder. (That's the G-rated version, anyway)

....if Obama wants to be rehired, he'll have to make slick-willard and the 1% the issue and distance himself from the economy....slick-willard and the republicans will do nothing to benefit the economy while claiming to have all the economic answers....they enjoy seeing millions of Americans suffer....

But what about all of those that he did not keep? If there's even ONE broken campaign promise, that means he didn't keep a promise.

You know, a man can build a thousand bridges, but tell only one lie, and he won't be remembered as a bridge builder. (That's the G-rated version, anyway)

No president has kept all his campaign promises. If you want to have irrational expectations, feel free.

Do they list promises broken, or are they just biased?

A quick look through it looks like a lot of them are very minor, and are items that were NOT campaign promises. You know, like closing Gitmo and such...

Yes, there do keep a list of promises broken, and some of them do constitute major. Some are minor though in every catagory.

No president has kept all his campaign promises. If you want to have irrational expectations, feel free.

Here's a promise, tailored to a specific voting bloc, that didn't even get an honorable mention. PolitiFact | The Obameter: End income tax for seniors making less than $50,000

How does Obama really feel about the Bush Tax Cuts for the $250k earners? Apparently, he gave them up in "negotiations" with Republicans DURING the supermajority. In fact, he did it a month after the 2010 election. Still had a bulletproof majority in both the House and Senate, but when ahead and caved when he didn't have to. PolitiFact | The Obameter: Repeal the Bush tax cuts for higher incomes

How does Obama really feel about those huge bonuses given to execs in companies declaring bankruptcy? It's almost like he got the middle class drunk enough to agree to sleep with him, and then he never called them again. PolitiFact | The Obameter: Forbid companies in bankruptcy from giving executives bonuses

Oh, and those evil drug companies! Squeezing our elderly out of their pennies and bending America over a barrel with their monopolies. PolitiFact | The Obameter: Prevent drug companies from blocking generic drugs

and this one PolitiFact | The Obameter: Allow Medicare to negotiate for cheaper drug prices
and this one PolitiFact | The Obameter: Allow imported prescription drugs
and this one PolitiFact | The Obameter: Negotiate health care reform in public sessions televised on C-SPAN

Oh, and those evil oil companies! PolitiFact | The Obameter: Enact windfall profits tax for oil companies

Remember that whole "No Revolving Door" thing for lobbyists? PolitiFact | The Obameter: Create a public "Contracts and Influence" database

Remember when he said that sunlight was the best disinfectant? PolitiFact | The Obameter: Allow five days of public comment before signing bills

Man, he really wanted to get seniors to vote for him. PolitiFact | The Obameter: Allow penalty-free hardship withdrawals from retirement accounts in 2008 and 2009

...and the middle class... PolitiFact | The Obameter: No family making less than $250,000 will see "any form of tax increase."

...and immigrants... PolitiFact | The Obameter: Introduce a comprehensive immigration bill in the first year

Whatever happened to this one? PolitiFact | The Obameter: Close the Guantanamo Bay Detention Center

Those were all HUGE promises of his campaign. Remember, he promised to enact real change by breaking the corporate hold on the US by banning lobbyists from accepting government positions within so much time from working at their firms; by making medicine cheaper and more available; by opening the government process by waiting to sign bills, and even televising negotiations; by sticking it to CEOs, while easing the burden on the middle class and elderly; by reforming immigration. He did NONE of these things.

The way I see it, if your wife sleeps with you 300 times in three years, but sleeps with 100 other people during that same time, she's a cheater and a liar.

I'm wondering what Obama's strategy will be this year. What do Obama supporters feel comfortable upholding as "job well done"-type things?

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that he got bin Laden. However, it is debatable whether or not anyone else would have done the same thing given the same circumstances. (I am firmly convinced that had Bush gone into Pakistan unannounced, Libs would be screaming their heads off and tearing out their hair about how W violated the sovereignty of another nation and that he should have included Pakistan in the takedown.)

Basically, what are Obama supporters proud of? Why does "their guy" deserve to be their guy? Convince me.

TBH... I think the main "thrust" will be the incompetence and indecision of Romney and his campaign staff.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1060625151 said:
If he uses it wisely.

Obama has received his share of cheers for his vocalized "support" for gay marriage and the hiatus he placed on younger undocumented aliens being deported. Everyone knows these are just ineffective election year gestures to garner votes, which are practiced by many politicians.

I call it throwing darts. He's hoping for something to stick in a big way. However, he can't run on slogans any more like "hope and change." We all found out that hope and change is not an effective plan of action to get the USA moving toward economic growth and prosperity.

I also wonder though how long he will be able to convince swing voters it's the republicans fault or its GWB's fault that he isn't a more effective leader.

It will be interesting to see the outcome in November.

Well the Repubs will force feed the failures for sure. Especially those promises he didn't keep when he controlled both houses for 2 years.

For 'thinking' people, not partisians, the economy will be the major factor, IMO. If the economy/jobs gets any worse it will certainly his fault. Bush can't be blamed for the President's 4 years, by anyone not drinking the Kool Aide, IMO.

Let’s see, the things I give him kudos for:

Ended DADT
Got OBL (if it had failed he would have gotten the blame so I have no problem giving him some credit for it)
I approved of the way he handled Libya
Ended the war in Iraq
He reversed our policies on torture (But then stepped up the signature drone strikes so that is a wash)
He improved our standing with the international community (in my line of work this has been very noticeable)
Increased VA budget

But overall I have been underwhelmed.

I'm sorry - I'm still off track with my responses . . . all I can think of are sleazy sex jokes like

"Obama's main thrust is gonna be . . . his stimulus package"

"Obama's main thrust is gonna be . . . quick"

I think this week is what will shape his campaign. The ruling on Obamacare, the vote on Eric Holder (and essentially himself due to the executive privelege fiasco), and how far the national security leaks story goes will shape a lot of what he does. If Obamacare is upheld, that will be a huge selling point for him. He will actually be able to say he's done something domestically. As of now, all he has is killing terrorists. The economy is not good enough for him to be trumpeting it.

His off the cuff eloquence to convince voters during campaigns might make him the winner.

As long as we continue to have the widest wealth disparity in this country since the Great Depression, the battle will continue to be the 1% vs the 99%.

This may be the most poetic election in that regard in my lifetime!

Last edited:
His main thrust will be pointing out the uncanny similarities between Romney and the man he replaced.

I bet he doesn't mention the similarities between Romney and himself.

most likely, it will be that a course of accelerated trickle down plus firing many federal workers is not a clear path to economic recovery.

I'm wondering what Obama's strategy will be this year. What do Obama supporters feel comfortable upholding as "job well done"-type things?

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that he got bin Laden. However, it is debatable whether or not anyone else would have done the same thing given the same circumstances. (I am firmly convinced that had Bush gone into Pakistan unannounced, Libs would be screaming their heads off and tearing out their hair about how W violated the sovereignty of another nation and that he should have included Pakistan in the takedown.)

Basically, what are Obama supporters proud of? Why does "their guy" deserve to be their guy? Convince me.

You are correct, Gonzo Rodeo.

Barack Obama's only accomplishment is he got Osama bin Ladin.

These people will surely stay away from the voting booths this time.

Obamasupportes-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry - I'm still off track with my responses . . . all I can think of are sleazy sex jokes like

"Obama's main thrust is gonna be . . . his stimulus package"

"Obama's main thrust is gonna be . . . quick"

Considering wherre your mind is, it might be a good time to come visit you....

Back
Top Bottom