• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What makes a country "great" and is there a "greatest country" right now?

Just a non political observation...seems like every poster may have a personal story that drives his/her opinion.

Just a non political observation...seems like every poster may have a personal story that drives his/her opinion.

Indeed. Some are considered opinions, some are acquired opinions, and others are rote opinions.

Your math is way off. For the most part life was getting better for every segment of society.
The talented tenth of women & blacks have it better now but the majority of those segments do not.
Catholics were already mainstreamed and still are no difference
Hispanics were less than 1% of the population in the 50’s
Let's take a look at those you identified as 1950 & 60's not the time for these people,
‘Blacks, Gays, Women, Catholics' who you suggest were 'way over half of the population.

CATHOLICS #1)
Roman Catholics and the American Mainstream in the Twentieth Century, The Twentieth Century, Divining America: Religion in American History, TeacherServe, National Humanities Center
By the end of the 1950s, most Catholics saw little conflict between being Catholic and American at the same time, and most
Protestants had stopped thinking that way too. The most visible forms of discrimination against Catholics in the national press,
housing, and banking had all but disappeared. By that time Catholicism and Judaism, had woven themselves into a
triple-threaded "mainstream" with Protestantism.

HISPANICS #2)
https://www2.census.gov/library/publications/decennial/1950/pc-07/pc-7-01.pdf
Population 1950 150,000,000
White 135,000,000
Negro 15,000,000
Other 600,000
IN THE 1950’S Hispanics population wise were not even a blip on the radar screen less than 1% of the entire population

WOMEN #3)
American Economic Association
Gains in women’s rights haven't made women happier. Why is that? | Life and style | The Guardian

The lives of women in the United States have improved over the past 35 years by many objective measures, yet we
show that measures of subjective well-being indicate that women's happiness has declined both absolutely and relative
to men. This decline in relative wellbeing is found across various datasets, measures of subjective wellbeing, demographic
groups, and industrialized countries. Relative declines in female happiness have eroded a gender gap in happiness in which
women in the 1970s reported higher subjective well-being than did men. These declines have continued and a new gender
gap is emerging -- one with higher subjective well-being for men.

BLACKS #4)
The True Black Tragedy: Illegitimacy Rate of Nearly 75%-
The True Black Tragedy: Illegitimacy Rate of Nearly 75%
The fact is that most of the social pathology seen in poor black neighborhoods is entirely new in black history.
Today's black illegitimacy rate of nearly 75 percent is entirely new. In 1940, black illegitimacy stood at 14 percent.
It had risen to 25 percent by 1965.
Much of today's pathology seen among many blacks is an outgrowth of the welfare state that has made self-destructive
behavior less costly for the individual. Having children without the benefit of marriage is less burdensome if the mother
receives housing subsidies, welfare payments and food stamps. Plus, the social stigma associated with unwed motherhood has vanished.
Children want to make their fathers proud, and an involved father promotes inner growth and strength. Studies have shown
that when fathers are affectionate and supportive, it greatly affects a child's cognitive and social development. It also
instills an overall sense of well-being and self confidence.

Black youth unemployment in some cities is over 50 percent. But high black youth unemployment is also new. In 1948,
the unemployment rate for black teens was slightly less than that of their white counterparts — 9.4 percent compared with 10.2.
Why? Are employers more racially discriminatory today than yesteryear? Were black youths of yesteryear more skilled than
whites of yesteryear? The answer to both questions is a big fat no.

Of course it is. Every Nation on Earth is a Nation of immigrants.

Why do you think the Human Race evolved to create Nations, Borders, and a means to defend them?

The USA uniquely had the phrase set in it's immigration service mission statement, until Trump got hold of it.

As the thread title says:

1) What makes a country "great"

2) Is there a greatest country right now?

I personally think how a country treats its own most vulnerable is more important than its military power or its GDP. I think quality of life and life experience for ordinary citizens makes a country greater than how many other countries it can defeat in battle or the historical dominance it may have once had.

I don't think there is a greatest country right now, though there are definitely some countries at the opposite ends of the spectrum - ordinary citizens live impoverished lives where they have little chance to affect or influence the direction of their nation or where significant minorities / sectors of society live shortened lives because there is little care or support for them.

I think we would have a much lower immigration problem if so many people of the world were not setting their sights on America as the nation to be desired above all others to live in.

I think we would have a much lower immigration problem if so many people of the world were not setting their sights on America as the nation to be desired above all others to live in.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

This country’s greatness and true genius lies in its diversity.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

This country’s greatness and true genius lies in its diversity.

I am in favor of immigration and in favor of laws controlling immigration for the good of the country. I am not in favor of breaking laws just because democrats think they should be broken. If democrats don't like some laws then let them do what they can to change them. That is how civilized Americans do things. Openly encouraging Americans to break laws is uncivilized.

I am in favor of immigration and in favor of laws controlling immigration for the good of the country. I am not in favor of breaking laws just because democrats think they should be broken.

If you believe no illegal immigrants crossed our border under Bush's two terms, I have a bridge to sell you in the Everglades.

OK, which is the "greater country?"

a) the one that economic migrants are trying to get into?

or

b) the one that helps develop the countries illegal immigrants are trying to escape from so that they don't need to become economic migrants?

The forefathers were white racist sexist pigs.. like everyone from Europe was at the time. The only defence is "everyone was like that" but what pisses me off is the whitewashing of history to make these forefathers more than they were. Accept their faults and accept that today it is not accepted because **** changes.

What was Africa like in the late 18th century? A collection of fair and equitable societies which welcomed foreigners of different races?

What was Africa like in the late 18th century? A collection of fair and equitable societies which welcomed foreigners of different races?

The Story of Africa| BBC World Service

A few years later, Western slavers came and took over from / worked with African slavers but yes, generally there were a "collection of fair and equitable societies which welcomed foreigners of different races."

I know this might come as a shock to someone as little acquainted with geography as you, or as your failed excursions into geography make you seem, but Africa is not a country.

Not in the 18th century, not now, not at any time at all.

But you have a point in that white foreigners were not particular welcome, primarily because they tended to take over.

And that's what's gonna happen to you, you're gonna be ruled by black Muslims of Jewish heritage that all speak with a Latino accent.:lol:

The Story of Africa| BBC World Service

A few years later, Western slavers came and took over from / worked with African slavers but yes, generally there were a "collection of fair and equitable societies which welcomed foreigners of different races."

Arabs colonized northern Africa long before European whites got there. Why is this never mentioned?

Also, you linked to the wrong period. Here's the entry which offers insights into roughly the period I was asking about;

The nineteenth century saw immense changes in Africa. Some were driven by famine and disease. Some changes were the result of the territorial ambitions of African rulers. As the century progressed alliances with merchants and missionaries from Europe began increasingly to have a bearing on how African leaders achieved their goals.

At the beginning of the 19th century, Europeans were still hugely ignorant of the continent. The systematic colonisation of Africa, which gathered momentum in the 1880's, was not even on the horizon in the first half of the 19th century. Europeans had confined themselves to trading mainly along the coast. Inland the trade in slaves and commodities was handled by African and Arab merchants.

Arabs colonized northern Africa long before European whites got there. Why is this never mentioned?

Also, you linked to the wrong period. Here's the entry which offers insights into roughly the period I was asking about;

Europeans were only intensely involved in roughly 100 years of Africa's history, yet we're told this is why Africa lags behind today. Pure fiction.

Makes no change to what I was talking about. I specifically mentioned that slaving existed before white traders arrived. Slavery exists still - just as it still does in many parts of the world.

Europeans were only intensely involved in roughly 100 years of Africa's history, yet we're told this is why Africa lags behind today. Pure fiction.

Do you know what the Portuguese did to African cities when first discovered? You honestly think it was only the Portuguese that levelled African settlements and reduced the locals back the Stone Age?

Makes no change to what I was talking about. I specifically mentioned that slaving existed before white traders arrived. Slavery exists still - just as it still does in many parts of the world.

Do you know what the Portuguese did to African cities when first discovered? You honestly think it was only the Portuguese that levelled African settlements and reduced the locals back the Stone Age?

No, and as I said, Europeans only played a dominant role in Africa for roughly 100 years, as colonizers. I'm sure a great many injustices and hardships were suffered during this time period. In stark contrast, Germany was obliterated twice in the 20th century, and partly controlled by the Soviet regime. Today Germany is perhaps the most modern country in the world, with a GDP per capita of $45k, compared with $1700 for Africa.

Side note: over here in the states, we actually have a serious candidate for president (Kamala Harris) who references Wakanda on Twitter.

because whoever makes such mention would make himself look as much a fool as you are doing here.

Where it's probably lost on you, but for the benefit of anyone else interested, Phoenicians, Persians, Greeks and Romans by far preceded the Arabs in N. Africa.
and here you are lying yet once again, initially referring to the late 18th century to now change the goalposts to the 19th.

Are you actually capable of posting anything at all without displaying your blatant dishonesty?

Last edited:
No, and as I said, Europeans only played a dominant role in Africa for roughly 100 years, as colonizers.
The Boers of South Africa (as much as the original "Sankhoi there) will no doubt laugh at such asinine claims as this one. Not to mention the peoples of Angola, Mocambique and Guinea-Bissau, but then what do you care about presenting actual facts when you can work with your usual falsehoods?:roll:
In stark contrast, Germany was obliterated twice in the 20th century, and partly controlled by the Soviet regime. Today Germany is perhaps the most modern country in the world, with a GDP per capita of $45k, compared with $1700 for Africa.
I'd ask anyone else bringing this up WTH it has to do with anything, but people as dishonest as you I'll ask nothing at all.

The only fiction here is the "historical" tripe that you present on account of being clearly ignorant of history and, by all appearances, too lazy to do any homework on it before you post such garbage.

No, and as I said, Europeans only played a dominant role in Africa for roughly 100 years, as colonizers. I'm sure a great many injustices and hardships were suffered during this time period. In stark contrast, Germany was obliterated twice in the 20th century, and partly controlled by the Soviet regime. Today Germany is perhaps the most modern country in the world, with a GDP per capita of $45k, compared with $1700 for Africa.

Side note: over here in the states, we actually have a serious candidate for president (Kamala Harris) who references Wakanda on Twitter.

I strongly suggest some history lessons before you post further.
Besides, this thread is about what makes a country great. The history of Africa is a separate thread for the academic forum.

I strongly suggest some history lessons before you post further.
Besides, this thread is about what makes a country great. The history of Africa is a separate thread for the academic forum.

Which historical fact did I get wrong?

I doubt anyone wants to spend an afternoon replying to that.

You know, for a millisecond I started making a mental list of all the things he got wrong then I read your post. Felt much better after talking myself out of wasting a whole afternoon making a list he was never going to read.

Back
Top Bottom