• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the point of PBS and NPR?

Soros...always with the Soros. :lol:

If the shoe fits.....

Scary, isn't it?

Remarkable how prolific his operations are, and how wide he and his Progressive Machine casts their net.

I would advise those under their influence avoid the face plants that will always come when trying to deny their involvement.

I live in rural southeast GA. My one hour commute to and from work would be top 40 crap or rush limbaugh type programming without NPR. Anyone who questions NPR (GPB), which has it's own programming, should spend a week listening. Over the air as well as online. You will not get this type of reporting anywhere else on radio in this country. Political rewind, science friday, and other shows bring all voices to the table. And if you never got to listen to the tappet brothers on Saturday, you have missed a great bit of Americana. I already contribute and am prepared to double it when the cuts come. I urge you to try it for a day.

Seems like we dont need govt involvement then. Win win. You like it, you pay for it. I dont have to it.

Oh, look, another Soros conspiracy theory...

LOL

Just writing the words doesn't mean the truth disappears.

NPR Deepens Coverage & Expands Listener Experience With $17 Million In Grants : NPR

This work is receiving generous support from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, The Wallace Foundation and Ford Foundation, and individual contributions from Paul Haaga, acting President & CEO of NPR, and Heather Haaga; William Poorvu, former Vice Chair of the NPR Foundation and Trustee emeritus, and Lia Poorvu; and Howard Stevenson, former Chair of the NPR Board and NPR Foundation Trustee, and Fredericka Stevenson – each investing in specific elements of the journalism and innovation strategy. In total, the foundations and individuals are contributing nearly $17 million to NPR over the next two years.​

Wallace, Open Society Foundations Partner on School-Day Expansion Initiative | News | PND

If the shoe fits.....

Scary, isn't it?

Remarkable how prolific his operations are, and how wide he and his Progressive Machine casts their net.

I would advise those under their influence avoid the face plants that will always come when trying to deny their involvement.

You can't expect to be taken seriously with this delusional paranoia and conspiracy-theorist nonsense you're spewing.

If the shoe fits.....

Scary, isn't it?

Yeah, that Soros. "He's EVERYWHERE!"

You can't expect to be taken seriously with this delusional paranoia and conspiracy-theorist nonsense you're spewing.

Well, I've provided facts and links, and you've provided, well, nothing.

So, who should be taken seriously?

:lamo

Well, I've provided facts and links, and you've provided, well, nothing.

So, who should be taken seriously?

:lamo

You have failed to provide any shred of evidence that George Soros is behind everything Trump is against. Your argument is invalid.

You have failed to provide any shred of evidence that George Soros is behind everything Trump is against. Your argument is invalid.

LOL

I have never suggested Soros is behind "everything Trump is against".

Do try to present at least a shred of credibility, otherwise there is no reason to waste my time responding to the hyperbole you're posting.

Governments funding is a token amount of both NPR/PBS budget and a far far less token amount of the federal budget.

Thanks god even if the right wing know nothing branch of the republican party get it way it is very unlikely to end those two services still it nice having at least a tiny tiny fraction of the federal government budget is going to something of great use to the public and to myself directly.

Where I happen to live there is not one repeat not one local radio station worth listening to in my car other then NPR and even with cable and internet streaming at home there is little worth looking at in all those hundreds/thousands of channels.

Without NPR I would need to download and take with me even more programming then I do now to enjoy in my car.

Love cables channels with names like the history channel with almost zero history programming and the rest mostly insulting to the intellect. They needed to shut down their website feedback section likely due to the complains they was getting over their programming.

To sum up the few dimes that they get from the government is not needed but still worthwhile as it is to the benefit to the society to have an informed public even if it not to the benefit of people like Trump who had stated that he love the poorly educated.

Enough in search of monsters and ice road truckers and so on.

David Koch is also a big donor. Check out the NOVA sponsors.

But the question still stands. Why does the government and tax payers, need to support this?

What is it about those local broadcasters that's so important?

I have a modest proposal for all of those people who love PBS and NPR. I count myself among them, and will do this myself...

CPB received $445 million in funding from the Federal Government last year. On a strictly per-capita basis that means we each contributed about $1.40 last year to CPB.

At the next pledge drive, call in and donate a mere $3.00 and we can easily cover the shortfall for the year. Repeat yearly.

I have a modest proposal for all of those people who love PBS and NPR. I count myself among them, and will do this myself...

CPB received $445 million in funding from the Federal Government last year. On a strictly per-capita basis that means we each contributed about $1.40 last year to CPB.

At the next pledge drive, call in and donate a mere $3.00 and we can easily cover the shortfall for the year. Repeat yearly.

Using that logic only if you used the public library or the fire department or police in any given year should you support them.

Using that logic only if you used the public library or the fire department or police in any given year should you support them.

Makes sense to me. Police and Fire are preventative though. Youre using them all the time if you live in a city. Rurals often go without and provide for themselves. I think the argument here is that we dont need govt for entertainment like we do for protection of life and property. And that by having them divide the taxes we give them, and the attention they focus, the more they do they worse they do it.

PBS and NPR require government funding because they use local broadcasters that depend on funding to stay active

This brings up Ronald Reagan, Peace be Upon Him, who made the observation: "The closest thing to eternal life is a government bureau!"

We have long since moved past the need to PBS to be supported by taxpayers.

Top 10 Obsolete Government Programs:
ED052997: Top 10 Obsolete Government Programs | The Heritage Foundation
2. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) was created in 1967 when people only had access to a few broadcast stations with limited viewing fare. Am I mistaken, or is this no longer a problem? People get upset about cutting "Sesame Street." So privatize it. The success of "Car Talk" and Garrison Keillor means PBS (public television) and NPR (National Public Radio) can make it on their own. After all, federal funding covers only 14 percent of public broadcasting's funding anyway. Five-year savings: $1.3 billion.

"A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon you are talking about real money!"

What is the point of NPR and PBS?
To provide decent-quality news and programming to all Americans.

Why do you think that the taxpayer and "marketplace of ideas" is a garbage position?
I for one won't say it is garbage, but I will say that NPR in particular, and government-run networks (notably BBC) produce excellent news and programming, that usually fills gaps that are not necessarily profitable.

For example, commercial kids' programming has deteriorated largely into 30-minute advertisements for toys. (This isn't and wasn't always the case, e.g. classic "Looney Tunes" was exceptionally high quality, but is no longer produced.) Sesame Street would never have developed on commercial TV networks.

We should note that state funding does not mean state control. Networks like NPR, PBS/CPB, BBC etc receive funding from the state, and face little or no editorial control by the government. In contrast, a propaganda network like RT or People's Daily basically exist to support the regime, spread its ideology, prevent criticism of the regime, delegitimize any opposition, and so forth.

Does not NPR and PBS receive at least some of their funding from the government, i.e. the tax payers?
I believe it's somewhere around 20% for CPB. NPR is around 14%.

For the most part, NPR and PBS are well-funded in most urban areas. Government funding is most critical for stations that cover rural areas, which don't have much commercial programming either via public airwaves.

When people move further to the right over time things seem like they are moving to the left. They are not. NPR is a perfectly respectable news source, and if it didn't exist we would all be subject to wild partisan sources that don't reflect reality. PBS is also a solid source of educational television for kids and adults. It is available to almost all people, regardless of income, and is more trustworthy to me than the Ancient Aliens crap the history channel is pushing, or any of the sugar induced madness you get on any of the channels targeting children.

I really liked how their goals mentioned diversity over and over and over and over and over.

Enlightening.

Defund them.
CPB should be defunded because they use the term "diverse" or "diversity" in their goals... a whopping 8 times?

Would you feel better if it said "programming for white people only" ?

Some big government liberals pay a pile in taxes and view PBS/NPR as one of the better values for what they pay.

Then they should not mind paying for it directly by writing a check to PBS instead of the government

Back
Top Bottom