• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is racial insensitivity?

SonOfDaedalus

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Today I hear some guy on ESPN (Will Cain) complaining about the NBA "owners" issue. It seems some people object to the use of the word "owner" regarding NBA ownership because most of the "owners" are White and the players are Black. It reminds some of slavery and owner/slave relationships.

I'm Black and it doesn't bother me. But I get annoyed by people like Will Cain who complain that some people are too sensitive. They seem to believe they are somehow more enlightened because they are not offended.

But it's easy not to be offended when the alleged insult is aimed at someone else.

Racially insensitive people, or insensitive people in general, are people who refuse to imagine that someone else may feel differently than they do.

If you're White it's no achievement to not be offended by language that reminds people of slavery. Moreover, who cares? So what if they use "governors" or CEO instead of owners? What does it cost you?

The owners don't own the players. They rent them, and at very exorbitant rates.

The owners don't own the players. They rent them, and at very exorbitant rates.

That's what I thought. They own the business and hire the players. Of course sports...whatever.

That's what I thought. They own the business and hire the players. Of course sports...whatever.

In the days before free agency in sports, the claim that they own the players had more merit. Now, it has none.

The arenas are filled with mostly white folk....shouldn't teams be forced to sell more tickets to people of color to be fair? sure looks awkward when areas are filled with mostly whites and yet most of the teams contain mostly blacks....just saying.

that seems like racial insensitivity to me...

No, it doesn’t.

is it racially incentive to have whole dorms filled with blacks only on college campuses today? I think it creates a divide but change my mind

Posts like that one make the real Trump look halfway intelligent.

It’s an odd strategy. I hope for your sake that it ends up being effective.

Today I hear some guy on ESPN (Will Cain) complaining about the NBA "owners" issue. It seems some people object to the use of the word "owner" regarding NBA ownership because most of the "owners" are White and the players are Black. It reminds some of slavery and owner/slave relationships.

I'm Black and it doesn't bother me. But I get annoyed by people like Will Cain who complain that some people are too sensitive. They seem to believe they are somehow more enlightened because they are not offended.

But it's easy not to be offended when the alleged insult is aimed at someone else.

Racially insensitive people, or insensitive people in general, are people who refuse to imagine that someone else may feel differently than they do.

If you're White it's no achievement to not be offended by language that reminds people of slavery. Moreover, who cares? So what if they use "governors" or CEO instead of owners? What does it cost you?

I'm Black and I am not "offended" by terms of proper usage. If I own a team, then much like being the owner/proprietor of a store, when I hire employees then they work for me but I don't "own" THEM.

Anyone who takes offense at the term "owner" when it comes to a sports team is just seeking offense where there is none. :coffeepap:

In the 1960s it was a sacrelidge to consider race in one's social interactions. You were told to be colorblind.
In the 2000s it is a sacrelidge to be racially insensitive, that is to be color blind and NOT consider race in one's social interactions.

In both cases the "opposite" was called racist. Go figure.

Last edited:
In the 1960s it was a sacrelidge to consider race in one's social interactions. You were told to be colorblind.
In the 2000s it is a sacrelidge to to racially insensitive, that is to be color blind and therefore NOT consider race in one's social interactions.

Boys start smoking at 14 to prove they are men.
Then they stop smoking at 40 to prove they are men.

I never started smoking. Where does that put me?

Best I can tell, it means you're still color blind...and therefore racially insensitive. Either than or you mean you never had social interactions to begin with.

Best I can tell, it means you're still color blind...and therefore racially insensitive. Either than or you mean you never had social interactions to begin with.
Colorblind is a compliment. As MLK said, by the quality of character not color of skin.

Racially insensitive is an awkward way of saying you are intentionally racist. That is a dead end approach. It's fine to be considerate but better if the subject never arises.

I’m just wondering what the hell you call someone who owns something - in this case a sports franchise - if not “owner.”

In the 2000s it is a sacrelidge to be racially insensitive, that is to be color blind and NOT consider race in one's social interactions.

I try to treat everyone the same - that is based on how they behave not based their skin pigmentation. If you wanna call that racially insensitive be my guest. For my part, since I really do try to react to behavior, I’ll tell you that you are free to go **** yourself.

I understand what insensitivity is. It's when you aren't concerned about whom you offend. As far as a whole race being insensitive, seems far fetched

If they don’t like their bosses being called “owners”, they’re perfectly free to go work a regular job and not be multi-millionaires.

I'm Black and I am not "offended" by terms of proper usage. If I own a team, then much like being the owner/proprietor of a store, when I hire employees then they work for me but I don't "own" THEM.

Anyone who takes offense at the term "owner" when it comes to a sports team is just seeking offense where there is none. :coffeepap:

I agree but my point is if you’re White it’s much easier not to be offended.

If you’re White just listen to how Blacks feel. If a lot of them are uncomfortable with the word, use another word. What does it cost you?

Also, the NBA and other leagues with collective bargaining are such that the players are partners. Most businesses have employees who produce a product. The owner owns “the means of production.” In the NBA the players are the means of production and the product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a white guy. I'm not a racist. I'm also and old fart, and not a fan of Biden. But I did actually understand what he said when he talked about working with the Dixiecrats. That schit's history, it's over, long gone, but it did happen. I don't understand all the hate about it. I don't know, maybe it's an age related thing.

That puts you in the same category as Ted "Chunk Style" McCubbins.

I agree but my point is if you’re White it’s much easier not to be offended... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry but I disagree. It seems that your argument is if you are Black it is much easier to be offended.

The question would be why, and if so why should anyone encourage these "feelings?"

I'm old enough to have lived in the days when driving through certain States was problematic. Where you could be refused service or relegated to "special but 'equal'" areas if allowed service at all.

My family taught me that words cannot harm us, it is DEEDS that do. To shrug off name calling, and stand up for yourself.

Now, in our current society where "Jim Crow" is but a distant memory for the oldest of us, it seems to me that Black America now holds all the "special privileges" of both Affirmative Action and the Hierarchy of Oppression. Moreover it seems to me as if we are SEEKING to find examples of racism where none actually exist. Anything to perpetuate and protect if not expand our "privileges."

So forgive me if I don't share this idea that simply because someone takes offense it means others must coddle and adapt to what those seekers believe is the new "fair and equitable" privilege owed to us.

Last edited:

If you’re White just listen to how Blacks feel. If a lot of them are uncomfortable with the word, use another word. What does it cost you?

Also, the NBA and other leagues with collective bargaining are such that the players are partners. Most businesses have employees who produce a product. The owner owns “the means of production.” In the NBA the players are the means of production and the product.

Does your employer own you?

I am uncomfortable with lots of words and subjects. Doesn't mean the world should cater to my peccadillos.

You have a point. Whites didn't have to struggle as much as people of color. That may have led to a lack of empathy, being tone deaf to the plight of those who had to struggle so much to get ahead, to obtain simple human rights.
Now lets get to the here and now.
What do these over privileged and overpaid brats want? Why are they so offended? I don't get it? What point are they trying to make?

I'm a white guy. I'm not a racist. I'm also and old fart, and not a fan of Biden. But I did actually understand what he said when he talked about working with the Dixiecrats. That schit's history, it's over, long gone, but it did happen. I don't understand all the hate about it. I don't know, maybe it's an age related thing.

Applying today's standards to what once was and profiting from it.

Back
Top Bottom