• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is FAKE NEWS?

Fake news
NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, AP, NYT, WAP, CNN, MSNBC

Thats off the top of my head

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

And now would you please post what is your good news sources?

I think we all agree on that. But that does not answer the question. Is a story that is not completely verified or contains inaccuracies FAKE NEWS?

Yep. I'm not cutting the news media any slack. If it's incomplete, unverified, or prone to inaccuracy, don't report it. I'd rather not hear anything than listen to a bunch of BS.

And now would you please post what is your good news sources?
I dont think there are any left. They have reduced themselves into propagandists and lost their credability.

If you know of a creditable outlet please share it. Im still looking for one.

I dont think there are any left. They have reduced themselves into propagandists and lost their credability.

Agreed. Like you, I don't think there are any "good" news sources available.

When news turned from public service to ratings monster, it ceased to be objective. How many times have big time media sources been exposed for faking reports.

It seems to me there is a wide open opportunity for a real news outlet, but I have no clue how it would be structured to ensure it was void of opinion, deceit, and outright lies.

Agreed. Like you, I don't think there are any "good" news sources available.

When news turned from public service to ratings monster, it ceased to be objective. How many times have big time media sources been exposed for faking reports.

It seems to me there is a wide open opportunity for a real news outlet, but I have no clue how it would be structured to ensure it was void of opinion, deceit, and outright lies.

Newspapers used to restrict editorial opinion to the editorial page. The entirety of their reporting now is in editorial form. Everything written is presented in order for the reader to reach a predetermined conclusion. It's insulting.

There was picture going around here and other places about news sources and I modded it to my own opinion. Some i'm not familiar with so I just left them were they were but this is my modded version.

My News.jpg

this was the original
I moved for further right and MSNBC further left making sure at least 2/3s of their stuff is hyper partisan. Instead of fox 50/50 like it was and MSNBC 1/3rd
I moved Washington post, new york times, ABC and NBC left center even skewed
I kept usa today and Cnn low in the "basic AF" level but also moved them left center but not skewed
15420908_10154239596206733_78735819909664064_n.jpg

Newspapers used to restrict editorial opinion to the editorial page. The entirety of their reporting now is in editorial form. Everything written is presented in order for the reader to reach a predetermined conclusion. It's insulting.

It most certainly is.

My family has a very long history with the Los Angeles Times. On my office wall is one of the two original brass signs that hung on each side of the main entrance to the original Times Mirror Building in Los Angeles, was bombed by Union Activists in 1910. Obviously my possession is evidence of this deep connection.

Years ago, despite the history, I cancelled my subscription when I just couldn't take the editorialized content that permeated every news article.

This is a problem in my opinion. People need legitimate, accurate reporting, not yellow journalism that would make William Randolph Hearst proud.

Nets Repeat Bogus Claim of ‘Hacked Election’ 49x In One Month

If you weren’t paying attention in the past month, you might actually believe that Russian spies infiltrated our voting booths to help Donald Trump win the presidential election. Well, at least that’s the perception the big three news networks are trying to create by repeatedly insisting that Russia “hacked the election.”

From December 8 to January 8, MRC analysts found that journalists on ABC, CBS and NBC repeated this loaded phrase at least 49 times in their morning and evening broadcasts.

Nets Repeat Bogus Claim of ?Hacked Election? 49x In One Month

Does anyone have a non biased non politically charged definition of what FAKE NEWS is? I had thought that it referred to the presentation of material that the writer or presenter knew was false but was disguised and presented in such a way as to fool the reader that it was a legitimate news story.

But in the last 24 hours we see the term applied to a news story which parts could be immediately verified as truthful although the content that could be verified was not intended as false.

So what is your unpolitical charged definition of what FAKE NEWS is?
It started as an excuse as to why Hillary lost to Trump.

Now it's just a kind of "catch all" phrase used to describe pretty much any story which contains false, partially false, or outright fabricated information used in a way which is obviously trying to advance a narrative.

Does anyone have a non biased non politically charged definition of what FAKE NEWS is? I had thought that it referred to the presentation of material that the writer or presenter knew was false but was disguised and presented in such a way as to fool the reader that it was a legitimate news story.

But in the last 24 hours we see the term applied to a news story which parts could be immediately verified as truthful although the content that could be verified was not intended as false.

If it's coming from CNN, it's fake news.

Reporting of unsubstantiated reports is fake news and irresponsible, a company just looking for headlines

If it's coming from CNN, it's fake news.

From Trump's mouth to my ears, with an empty vessel for an intermediary.
He may not be as smart as his followers think. But he's smart enough to know how to use those followers to his advantage.

Be the echo of your master, if you so choose.

Anything trump says is fake news to his crowd until they're told what to think with follow-up tweets and spin .

From Trump's mouth to my ears, with an empty vessel for an intermediary.
He may not be as smart as his followers think. But he's smart enough to know how to use those followers to his advantage.

Be the echo of your master, if you so choose.

It started as an excuse as to why Hillary lost to Trump.

Now it's just a kind of "catch all" phrase used to describe pretty much any story which contains false, partially false, or outright fabricated information used in a way which is obviously trying to advance a narrative.

Now being the Trump press conference today.

Reporting of unsubstantiated reports is fake news and irresponsible, a company just looking for headlines

And what is the difference between that and simply poor reporting?

It most certainly is.

My family has a very long history with the Los Angeles Times. On my office wall is one of the two original brass signs that hung on each side of the main entrance to the original Times Mirror Building in Los Angeles, was bombed by Union Activists in 1910. Obviously my possession is evidence of this deep connection.

Years ago, despite the history, I cancelled my subscription when I just couldn't take the editorialized content that permeated every news article.

This is a problem in my opinion. People need legitimate, accurate reporting, not yellow journalism that would make William Randolph Hearst proud.

It is a problem, and the Russians sure as hell didn't cause it.

Fake news
NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, AP, NYT, WAP, CNN, MSNBC

Thats off the top of my head

All of them report on actual events taking place around the world. That is not fake. Part of their content is opinion, which is not the same as news reporting. If you can't tell the difference, that's your problem.

Now being the Trump press conference today.
If you are referring to the part about the "fake news" that Russia has compromising information on Trump, yes, I agree. That is definitely fake news.

Could you be more specific as to the premise you are referencing...??

FAKE news is a fictional story designed to resemble a news story. It can be for partisan purposes or for generated ad revenue (click bait). Propoganda or heavily biased, partisan news is news with SOME truth to it, but designed specifically to support or denigrate one side of things. Incorrect news or bad journalism is news that is poorly fact checked or from uncredible sources that is reported without appropriate verification (ie: the Rolling Stones rape piece). This is where the process looks like real journalism but there is a failure of the fact checking mechanisms that are supposed to prevent the publishing of false stories. Slanted or biased news is news that is factually corrected and verified, but told from the perspective of a person with a particular ideology or opinion. (ie: discussing a details of an executive order from Obama with factually correct information but talking about ti in terms of it being "job killing regulation"). Almost all news to some degree is that latter. The "slant" isn't always political either, in some cases its just a slant towards sensationalism.

Last edited:

So you currently get your news from nowhere?

Daily Kos has some real stuff. Info Wars has some real stuff.

I take fake news as more of a case by case basis where the person reporting it knows what they are reporting is either a lie or a distortion of the truth.

All of them report on actual events taking place around the world. That is not fake. Part of their content is opinion, which is not the same as news reporting. If you can't tell the difference, that's your problem.
When They present their opinions as facts it becomes a problem for everyone

Daily Kos has some real stuff. Info Wars has some real stuff.

I take fake news as more of a case by case basis where the person reporting it knows what they are reporting is either a lie or a distortion of the truth.

I add in all the stuff published by people who claim to know but never bothered to do any fact checking, usually because the story fits the narrative that they want to sell.

Let’s talk about what reporting is,It’s the best obtainable version of the truth. That’s what that story is
Carl Bernstein Calls Trump Aide Kellyanne Conway a 'Propaganda Minister' - Breitbart
The product of making the claim that one is a reporter but not attempting to get quality information is fake news.

Back
Top Bottom