• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Are Your Plans for Thanksgiving?

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
SQ8sNRA.jpg

Thanksgiving is nearly upon us- so what are your plans, where are you going and what kind of food will you serve?

As for me, my granny and rich aunt and uncle will be celebrating with my son and me. Since granny hates turkey (she says its bland) we will be serving leg of lamb with garlic yogurt sauce and all the trimmings (potato salad, string beans, corn, fried mushrooms and onions), do it yourself salad bar and lasagna. Also dessert (havent decided on that one yet) with wine.

Last edited:
Sounds good, I'll probably be working and eating noodles. I'll also pray to God for a little something I want ;) in the spirit of Thanksgiving.

We always host my mom, and inlaws. Usually my brother in law comes as well, but we're leaving for my daughter's hockey tournament early Friday morning so it's not worth the flight from Texas. Menu is always the same; turkey, gravy mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans casserole, corn, cranberry jello salad and crescent rolls.

Forgot to included dessert! Pumpkin pie, apple crumb pie and chocolate cream pie

Last edited:
Turkey, rice, pumpkin pie, apple crumb pie, more turkey, rice, and more turkey.

We like turkey.

turkey1-300x234.jpg

It's beautiful.

First TG in our brand new stick built house we build ourselves all the way from initially clearing the property 10+ years ago..

SQ8sNRA.jpg

Thanksgiving is nearly upon us- so what are your plans, where are you going and what kind of food will you serve?

As for me, my granny and rich aunt and uncle will be celebrating with my son and me. Since granny hates turkey (she says its bland) we will be serving leg of lamb with garlic yogurt sauce and all the trimmings (potato salad, string beans, corn, fried mushrooms and onions), do it yourself salad bar and lasagna. Also dessert (havent decided on that one yet) with wine.

We're having an early Thanksgiving celebration next Saturday with Tom's family since many of them are going to the UP over the Thanksgiving weekend. Not sure what we'll be having. Claudia, Tom's sister, is surprising us.

I'm bringing a fancy green salad filled with goodies... mushrooms, fine purple onions, hearts of palm, Italian olives, grape tomatoes, radishes, leafy celery tops, cucumber, salami, blue cheese on the side, croutons, and Olive Garden Italian also on the side. Claudia will add dressing choices from her fridge.

On Thanksgiving Day, I'm cooking the traditional feast for Tom and I. Roasting a Butterball smoked turkey this year for the first time. We had one at friends' early fall, and we loved it. So that, sweet potatoes with brown sugar, maple syrup and marshmellows, mashed potatoes with gravy, Stove Top stuffing, cooked to death canned green beans (one of those must-have traditions from mom), cranberry sauce.

We are so blessed in our country, aren't we?

Edit...OOPS!! We'll have our smoked turkey dinner the Saturday after Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving Day, we're going to a good friend's house.

Last edited:
We're having an early Thanksgiving celebration next Saturday with Tom's family since many of them are going to the UP over the Thanksgiving weekend. Not sure what we'll be having. Claudia, Tom's sister, is surprising us.

I'm bringing a fancy green salad filled with goodies... mushrooms, fine purple onions, hearts of palm, Italian olives, grape tomatoes, radishes, leafy celery tops, cucumber, salami, blue cheese on the side, croutons, and Olive Garden Italian also on the side. Claudia will add dressing choices from her fridge.

On Thanksgiving Day, I'm cooking the traditional feast for Tom and I. Roasting a Butterball smoked turkey this year for the first time. We had one at friends' early fall, and we loved it. So that, sweet potatoes with brown sugar, maple syrup and marshmellows, mashed potatoes with gravy, Stove Top stuffing, cooked to death canned green beans (one of those must-have traditions from mom), cranberry sauce.

We are so blessed in our country, aren't we?

Edit...OOPS!! We'll have our smoked turkey dinner the Saturday after Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving Day, we're going to a good friend's house.

Greetings, MaggieD. :2wave:

Ohhh, I'm so hungry now! :thumbs: To your menu, add lots of gravy, homemade biscuits by the dozens, and several pies, including a lemon meringue, since it seems to be a male favorite, so I'll be feeding 10 people this year - 8 family, and 2 bachelor friends of my son whose families live out of State! The Houston bunch is doing their own thing, thank God, or I'd be feeding 22! They'll be here for a week at Christmas, though! :eek: Last year I seriously considered moving out to my shed for the duration.... I love em, so I'm just kidding - mostly because the shed is not heated! :lamo

Ah, Thanksgiving... one of my favorite holidays. Faith, family and food. :)

My parents passed away some years ago now, but their descendants will gather at one of the larger homes for TG.... looks like almost all of us this year, which I am thankful for. Son#1 doesn't have to go to work until late afternoon, which is great... he missed out last year and was very upset about that.

There will be much hugging and talking and joy, and the children will run around playing while the adults talk.

There will be a sharing of reasons for thanksgiving, and a prayer.

Then we will eat: traditional Southern fare for the most part, turkey, ham, dressing, cranberry sauce, gravy, biscuits, sweet potato casserole, broccoli cheese casserole, various pies and whatnot. Yum. :)

This will be followed by vegging out on the couch while some sporting event is on TV, along with more conversation and more of the kids playing. :)

Bliss. :D

Right now, nothing. Our usual Thanksgiving tradition, going to my uncle's house and having a full spread, isn't happening this year. My cousin, who cooks it all, is going on an elk hunt in Utah this year and since we moved, it's a 5 hour round trip to get there. My mom is sick and doesn't know if she'll be better before Thanksgiving, so maybe, and this is a maybe, we'll all get together and order in and watch TV, but that's not for sure either. In any case, both my mom and my sister just had surgery so neither of them wants to cook and my wife is way too busy to make anything, so it will be small, if at all this year.

And I'm fine with that.

Right now, nothing. Our usual Thanksgiving tradition, going to my uncle's house and having a full spread, isn't happening this year. My cousin, who cooks it all, is going on an elk hunt in Utah this year and since we moved, it's a 5 hour round trip to get there. My mom is sick and doesn't know if she'll be better before Thanksgiving, so maybe, and this is a maybe, we'll all get together and order in and watch TV, but that's not for sure either. In any case, both my mom and my sister just had surgery so neither of them wants to cook and my wife is way too busy to make anything, so it will be small, if at all this year.

And I'm fine with that.

Boston Market if you have one around you does a pretty good job .... not Turkey but a close facsimile. Whatever you do just be safe out there!

Boston Market if you have one around you does a pretty good job .... not Turkey but a close facsimile. Whatever you do just be safe out there!

There's actually some really fantastic local places that will deliver right to the door. I think we're done trying to go out for a while, about 3 weeks ago, we tried to have a nice dinner out and my 72-year old mother tripped and face-planted into the concrete, had to call paramedics and she had to spend time in the hospital when her knee swelled up to watermelon size. Luckily, there was no long-term damage. I think it's safer for her to be at home for a while.

There's actually some really fantastic local places that will deliver right to the door. I think we're done trying to go out for a while, about 3 weeks ago, we tried to have a nice dinner out and my 72-year old mother tripped and face-planted into the concrete, had to call paramedics and she had to spend time in the hospital when her knee swelled up to watermelon size. Luckily, there was no long-term damage. I think it's safer for her to be at home for a while.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you order a delivery and enjoy thanksgiving.

My wife wants a duck, we're gonna do duck.

SQ8sNRA.jpg

So I am not the only one who hates turkey. I can eat it all day as sandwhich meat so long as it is partnered with a tastier meat, but by itself I really hate it. I prefer thanksgiving ham, or lamb, or brisket.

I have eaten wild turkey which I like better, but wild turkey is alot different, only breast meat as wild turkeys are scrawny unlike force fed turkeys you buy. Now wild turkey in the bottle hell yeah, if it is 101 I may not eat that night at all.

My wife wants a duck, we're gonna do duck.

Duck is ubiquitous in China, they have roast duck everywhere. My favorite is Peking duck, though I wonder how appropriate it might be for Thanksgiving.

Duck is ubiquitous in China, they have roast duck everywhere. My favorite is Peking duck, though I wonder how appropriate it might be for Thanksgiving.

She likes duck over Turkey, so duck it is. I don't argue, I just make it happen :)

When it comes to thanks giving, what is important is , well being with family. The traditional menu for Thanksgiving is certainly not what the pilgrims ate anyway.

So what will you be having then?

I don't know where I'll be two days from now, much less next week. No idea what I will have. The problem for me is that most restaurants get rid of their regular menu and only serve Thanksgiving food on that day. So it's a struggle to find decent food on Thanksgiving but I usually find something.

Shooting a deer or two with my son, going over to sister's house who's hosting TG this year. Beer will be involved somewhere in there.

Shooting a deer or two with my son, going over to sister's house who's hosting TG this year. Beer will be involved somewhere in there.

As long as the guns get put away before the beer comes out...

Leaving two days early for the drive to the family ranch in the Sierra foothills. Photography, some pig hunting, wine tasting at some point over the weekend in the Lodi region, dual BD party on Saturday for my BIL and nephew and then hopefully leaving REALLY early on Sunday to beat the traffic back into L.A.

Here, piggy, piggy, piggy....

Back
Top Bottom