• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are you listening to? ver. 15.0

I think the first time I heard this song, or at least the first time it made an impression on me, I was about 8 or 9 years old, in my grandfather's home listening as he played selections from 78's on his old Victrola. I still own that '78, tho it has long been unplayable, well worn and the wax suffering the ravages of time. It is on Black Cat, a long gone small label from Tennessee. Recorded in 1931, by a fellow named "Sly" Bob Muratta playing a ragtime piano, and with a slightly different intro. Attributing the gunfight to an affair with one man's wife be outed during a card game, by another man who had been caught cheating at cards, seeking to find his own way out of the beating he was about to receive. Downright devious. Over the decades I've heard 100's cover this song, some with variations of the intro, some with no intro, in many genres, blues, bluegrass, folk, jazz, rock, various pop interpretations, even a duet by Sammy Davis Jr. with Frank Sinatra, as cool crooners as they could be, and a nasty, ribald version from Big Mama Thornton that she made last more than 20 minutes shocking an audience of white college kids at Rutgers in NJ, who adored her show.

I keep coming back to this simple performance:

[video=youtube;mb-6HgJaaUQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?mb-6HgJaaUQ[/video]

Pink Floyd - Learning To Fly

A bit of metal, I think...

Some aren't the best sound quality, but it gets way better if you use google chrome with the equalizer app and know what you're doing with it.

Not a big Slayer fan but at least he sort of sings rather than growls in this one (ie, "Raining Blood"); and I generally think "death metal" is silly as all hell. So for example, if you could take the Growler-in-Chief over here out and replace him with an actual singer:

That would be great. I like the loud angry music (after a couple minutes)....but he's just sort of vomit-growling at the microphone. That pisses me off. I can't listen to that ****. Sing or go home. Hell, you don't have to sing wonderfully. Ozzy is great. You wouldn't call him a masterful singer though, would you? Fine. But he doesn't vomit-growl at you.

That does not piss me off. That pleases me.

It's getting late for them I fear, but I do hope there's one more swing through NE 'Merka. As with G n' R, maybe I can catch a show or two before the end...

[video=youtube;BQpZv2r8fb4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?BQpZv2r8fb4[/video]

The Pretty Reckless - Take Me Down

Starting from the days when the 45 was king, FM hadn't quite yet discovered progressive rock, big hair was it, I present first from a long list today, the Shangri-Las. My wife and I, along with another couple, caught them live as part of an oldies show at the RKO Keiths in Brooklyn. My older sister, a gluten for punishment had taken the kids. We were in a celebratory mood, my wife recently confirming she was pregnant with #4. What made the show more special, when the ladies got to this song, Tommy Smothers rode out on stage in full black leather regalia on a Vespa surprising the ladies who were all over him as they lip synched once Tommy took of his helmet and mugged one his tentative brilliant smiles.

Back
Top Bottom