• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Washington Post Lies About Lawmaker's Biblical Reference

Your words would seem to indicate that "your Jesus" is not the same one that many others worship.

Matthew 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Luke 18:22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Matthew 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

I understand there are many who believe in the Prosperity Gospel but then there are many more who find it to be heresy.

Really ? You think thats Jesus advocating for a big Government nanny state and or forced redistribution ?

Lol...just FYI, its not. Many of the right wing Christians that are so often pilloried by the Left for their supposed selfishness dont have to be forced into compassion or forced to helping those in need. They willingly donate their time and money to charities every week

Really ? You think thats Jesus advocating for a big Government nanny state and or forced redistribution ?

Lol...just FYI, its not. Many of the right wing Christians that are so often pilloried by the Left for their supposed selfishness dont have to be forced into compassion or forced to helping those in need. They willingly donate their time and money to charities every week

Personally I find the order to sell everything and give the proceeds to the needy or else you wont be allowed to follow the Lord to be a fine example of "forced redistribution"

From the OP:

. . . Not only did Arrington not disagree with the witness who quoted passages from Leviticus requiring the Israelites to leave harvest gleanings in the field for sojourners and the poor, Arrington actually affirmed him and noted that the passage in question is “a great reflection on the character of God and the compassion of God’s heart.” Here’s what Arrington really said:
I did hear, Mr. Protas, your opening remarks where you quoted Leviticus, I believe, and I think that’s a great reflection on the character of God and the compassion of God’s heart and how we ought to reflect that compassion in our lives.

But, there’s also, the scripture tells us in 2 Thessalonians 3:10: “For even when we were with you we gave you this rule: ‘If a man will not work, he shall not eat.'” And then he goes on to say, “We hear that some among you are idle.”

I think that every American, Republican or Democrat, wants to help the neediest among us. And I think it’s a reasonable expectation that we have work requirements. I think that gives more credibility quite frankly, to SNAP. Tell me what is a reasonable and responsible work requirement as part of the SNAP program?

At no point did Arrington ever declare that the Bible requires that the unemployed shall not eat. Not once. At no point did Arrington ever say, “The Bible says the unemployed shall not eat.”
Rather, the Texas congressman noted to the witness at his hearing that in addition to commanding God’s people to leave a share of their harvest for the needy to pick up and eat as they moved through the fields, the Bible tells Christ’s disciples not to allow idleness to make them a burden on their fellow Christians. Paul’s letter to the church in Thessaloniki, after all, was not a directive to government officials in Rome, but an exhortation to his fellow followers of Christ in Greece. . . .

Exactly. Just as the WaPo article stated:

One lawmaker is citing a godly reference to justify changes to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: Rep. Jodey Arrington (R-Tex.) recently quoted the New Testament to question the strength of current work requirements.

The biblical passage, 2 Thessalonians 3-10, was a rebuttal to one of the hearing’s expert witnesses, a representative of the Jewish anti-hunger group MAZON. (He referenced Leviticus.) It is also a familiar refrain to anyone who has watched past debates about SNAP.

House Republicans have historically cited the verse — “if a man will not work, he shall not eat” — as justification for cutting some adults’ SNAP benefits. Arrington referenced the verse in a discussion about increasing the work requirements for unemployed adults on the food stamp program. But critics say that advances a pernicious myth about the unemployed who receive SNAP.

The article was correct. Your misinformation occurs when you try to use partisan websites as a source of real, unbiased information.

What? The founding fathers did no such thing. The "establishment clause" in the first amendment of the constitution states:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Interpreting that to mean they wanted to keep religion out of government is not only dishonest, but absolutely ridiculous.

Exactly. Separation of church and state.
“ I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.
--Thomas Jefferson, 1/1/1802 Letter https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Letter_to_the_Danbury_Baptists_-_January_1,_1802

Exactly. Just as the WaPo article stated:

The article was correct. Your misinformation occurs when you try to use partisan websites as a source of real, unbiased information.

If you follow the discussion, the WaPo version was the slanted one.

Obviously, you either don't understand what "make no law respecting an establishment of religion" means, or you know perfectly well what it means and are one of those people who knowingly misinterprets it so it fits your political agenda.

Either way, it's sad.

Thomas Jefferson had no idea what the phrase intended when he wrote to the Danbury Baptists?

WaPo and the congressman aside, I'll stick with Matthew 25.

Your words would seem to indicate that "your Jesus" is not the same one that many others worship.

Matthew 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Luke 18:22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Matthew 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

I understand there are many who believe in the Prosperity Gospel but then there are many more who find it to be heresy.

Why do people who absolutely despise the thought of any tiny minute mention of anything remotely connected to Christianity in government always --- ALWAYS -- use Jesus' words to promote their political agendas?

Because Jesus was in his was a politician as well as a rabbi.

You'll learn more if you do your own research.

I figured you'd say something like that. I haven't seen you once explain your position on anything.

Why do people who absolutely despise the thought of any tiny minute mention of anything remotely connected to Christianity in government always --- ALWAYS -- use Jesus' words to promote their political agendas?

To highlight the hypocrisy of those who claim to be TRUE Jesus worshipers.

Here's the WaPo caught making stuff up to further their preferred meme about religious conservatives. I'm not religious but I don't like those who lie about religion.

Washington Post Lies About Lawmaker's Biblical Reference
Sean Davis, Federalist

. . . The headline from the Washington Post couldn’t have been more clear: “GOP Lawmaker: The Bible says the unemployed ‘shall not eat.” Shocking, right? Judging by the Washington Post’s reporting, either this lawmaker is a real jerk, God is a real jerk for hating people without jobs, or maybe even they’re both jerks.
Here’s what the newspaper wrote about Rep. Jodey Arrington (R-Tex.):
One lawmaker is citing a godly reference to justify changes to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: Rep. Jodey Arrington (R-Tex.) recently quoted the New Testament to question the strength of current work requirements.

The biblical passage, 2 Thessalonians 3-10, was a rebuttal to one of the hearing’s expert witnesses, a representative of the Jewish anti-hunger group MAZON. (He referenced Leviticus.) It is also a familiar refrain to anyone who has watched past debates about SNAP.

House Republicans have historically cited the verse — “if a man will not work, he shall not eat” — as justification for cutting some adults’ SNAP benefits. Arrington referenced the verse in a discussion about increasing the work requirements for unemployed adults on the food stamp program. But critics say that advances a pernicious myth about the unemployed who receive SNAP.

There are a few problems, however, with that story from Washington Post reporter Caitlin Dewey: the lawmaker never said that, the Bible never says that, and the Washington Post article never even quotes the Texas Republican as saying that. In fact, the article doesn’t quote Arrington a single time. Not one word. Because democracy dies in darkness, or something. . . .

Tucker Carlson reported on this fake news story on his show last night. Here's the video for those out there that just can't seem to grasp what the Post story did:

Except it's not hypocrisy at all.

It's not? Why then is it so easy for those "people who absolutely despise the thought of any tiny minute mention of anything remotely connected to Christianity in government always --- ALWAYS -- use Jesus' words to promote their political agendas?" to find words in the holy scriptures which contradict the views of those who believe Christianity should be part and parcel of governmental affairs

It's not? Why then is it so easy for those "people who absolutely despise the thought of any tiny minute mention of anything remotely connected to Christianity in government always --- ALWAYS -- use Jesus' words to promote their political agendas?" to find words in the holy scriptures which contradict the views of those who believe Christianity should be part and parcel of governmental affairs

They don't find contradictions at all.

Back
Top Bottom