• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

War?

Wow. Please not another war, Mr. Trump.

Of course i don't want Putin calling the shots. That's why I'll be voting against it. However, that's the reality of the situation.

When Trump authorized the military to kill hundreds of Russians for crossing the wrong river in Syria, was Putin calling that Shot?

Or when Trump kicked out a whole bunch of Russian Diplomats, was Putin calling that Shot?

Or when Trump increased sanctions against Putin's thug friends, was he calling that Shot?

This is a cute bumper sticker, but it's a terrible assessment.

As for generals refusing idiotic orders from a panting moron, I support it in this case. Under a president with a functional intellect and adult level maturity, I support the traditional chain of command.

Oh. good. And the generals get to decide that, because they are the ones who are actually sovereign, and who therefore actually get final say so?

Because if you'd let them make the call, we'd have bombed Iran, not pulled back. That's the plan they put together, that Trump approved, and that he then changed his mind on.

When Trump authorized the military to kill hundreds of Russians for crossing the wrong river in Syria, was Putin calling that Shot?

Or when Trump kicked out a whole bunch of Russian Diplomats, was Putin calling that Shot?

Or when Trump increased sanctions against Putin's thug friends, was he calling that Shot?

Oh. good. And the generals get to decide that, because they are the ones who are actually sovereign, and who therefore actually get final say so?

Because if you'd let them make the call, we'd have bombed Iran, not pulled back. That's the plan they put together, that Trump approved, and that he then changed his mind on.

You'll have to ask him. I don't care.

And yes, as I said, I support the generals ignoring his orders. Hopefully we can vote him out before he starts a new war.

The Donut Party isn't on the Left or the Right. Instead, the Donut, being Round, is equally for all sides.

Republicans promise to get government off your back, but they're lying to you. Democrats promise to get government to make your life better, but they're lying to you. Donuts promise to be delicious, and they've never lied to you.

In this time of strife, and hatred, and vitriolic, vicious voices that would turn us against each other, I believe it is time for us all to take a breath, realize what is important, and unite around the simple, good things that actually make life great. Talk Radio, Talk Television, and Talking heads all want you to hate, but Donuts? Donuts come in twelve packs specifically because Donuts don't want you to hate, Donuts want you to share..

Join with us, our fellow good Americans, join with us, and stand for the idea that we can all agree on and stand for something together. Stand for the donuts. Or sit for the donuts. Or lay down for the donuts. The Donuts will be good to you, however you choose to rest or recline.

Donut 2020: Because if we're gonna elect a big ole fat head with a hole in the middle of it, it might as well be delicious.

Double like!! I love it!!

ALMOST (i.e. came close) only applies when playing horseshoes and lobbing hand grenades.

Some people in this Forum seem to like to play the game of "what if" a lot though. :coffeepap:

Don't worry. The what if game and the what about game will continue forever from 2016 onward.

What part of "unless necessary" do you not understand?

This impending fiasco is far from necessary. This sabre rattling was started by Trump when he trashed the nuclear agreement, with which Iran was in compliance.

The Donut Party isn't on the Left or the Right. Instead, the Donut, being Round, is equally for all sides.

Republicans promise to get government off your back, but they're lying to you. Democrats promise to get government to make your life better, but they're lying to you. Donuts promise to be delicious, and they've never lied to you.

In this time of strife, and hatred, and vitriolic, vicious voices that would turn us against each other, I believe it is time for us all to take a breath, realize what is important, and unite around the simple, good things that actually make life great. Talk Radio, Talk Television, and Talking heads all want you to hate, but Donuts? Donuts come in twelve packs specifically because Donuts don't want you to hate, Donuts want you to share..

Join with us, our fellow good Americans, join with us, and stand for the idea that we can all agree on and stand for something together. Stand for the donuts. Or sit for the donuts. Or lay down for the donuts. The Donuts will be good to you, however you choose to rest or recline.

Donut 2020: Because if we're gonna elect a big ole fat head with a hole in the middle of it, it might as well be delicious.

Excellent analogy.

In other news, allow me to recommend Duck Donuts for anyone in PA. Donuts fried in duck fat.... unbelievable.

Hopefully Putin will keep telling him no or the generals will refuse his stupid orders. The orange fool can't even close an umbrella. He should not be starting wars.

No general would refuse an order to strike from their commander-in-chief. They might try and talk him out of it, but that's it.

Yeah. The left was wrong again. All these whackos running around claiming DJT is going to get us in a war were ALL wrong.

Dumbass leftists.

You'll have to ask him. I don't care.

You should probably care at least a little bit whether what you are saying even vaguely resembles truth, vice Hysteria.

But you do you.

And yes, as I said, I support the generals ignoring his orders. Hopefully we can vote him out before he starts a new war.

Evidently you aren't following along well.

1. This is how you get banana republics.

2. The military is a pretty conservative institution; if you start the precedent that they get to does control of foreign policy when they think the President is stupid, you're not going to like the way it ends.

3. Trump was the one who called off the strikes the generals had planned. So you have the causality backwards as well.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Didn't Trump promise the United States would not send any more troops to the middle east and not get involved with any new wars?

Well, yesterday on a drone strike (no human casualties) he almost broke that promise.

What happens when cooler heads do not prevail? When Bolton gets his desires fulfilled?

I think Trump is just pretending. He did it with North Korea. Perhaps others are trying to push him towards to war, but he's like.... this is the fart of the deal or something.

No general would refuse an order to strike from their commander-in-chief. They might try and talk him out of it, but that's it.

Perhaps they might tender their resignation in protest if they believed that the course was so terrible that they could not preside over such an operation?

Perhaps they might tender their resignation in protest if they believed that the course was so terrible that they could not preside over such an operation?
That, as Mattis showed, is the correct path.

That's a very interesting notion of how the chain of command should work.

So dictatorial thugs like Putin should control our foreign policy and/or the military should launch a soft coup and effectively seize control of foreign policy from the civilian government?

Putin (or Trump's obsequious kowtowing to Putin) is already controlling what passes for Trump's foreign policy.

This impending fiasco is far from necessary. This sabre rattling was started by Trump when he trashed the nuclear agreement, with which Iran was in compliance.

What impending fiasco?

Putin (or Trump's obsequious kowtowing to Putin) is already controlling what passes for Trump's foreign policy.
Then I ask you the same questions I asked above. If Putin is controlling the Trump administration's foreign policy, then why is that administration tougher on Russia and Putin than it's predecessor?

Again, this is one of those things that makes a good bumper sticker, but not a good assessment.

You should probably care at least a little bit whether what you are saying even vaguely resembles truth, vice Hysteria.

But you do you.

Evidently you aren't following along well.

1. This is how you get banana republics.

2. The military is a pretty conservative institution; if you start the precedent that they get to does control of foreign policy when they think the President is stupid, you're not going to like the way it ends.

3. Trump was the one who called off the strikes the generals had planned. So you have the causality backwards as well.

Tweety has the maturity and patience of a ten year old as well as below average intelligence. That's a dangerous combination for someone who is picking the wars. Knowing that there are adults who might stand in his way is a comfort.

When did Trump kick out Russian diplomats? Got a link?

If it's a seriously dumb move that would put the country at risk, I wouldn't be so sure. However, if he wants to start a war with Iran to distract attention from his personal problems, he'll probably be able to do that, unfortunately.

Tweety has the maturity and patience of a ten year old as well as below average intelligence.

When my oldest boy was ten, he had remarkable maturity and patience. As a parent of multiple children, respectfully, I think you have overestimated by about seven years here.

That's a dangerous combination for someone who is picking the wars.

Yup. Good thing Congress decided to turn over so much of it's power to the Executive while we were turning Presidential campaigns into personality cults, eh?

Knowing that there are adults who might stand in his way is a comfort.

Again,

1. Your proposed cure is worse than the disease. Giving up civilian control of government because we don't like the particular civilian in one position now is a terrible idea.

2. You have the causality backwards. It was Trump who pulled back the generals.

Sigh ...

Is this what you mean?

There's a huge caveat in the US' expulsion of 60 Russian diplomats - Business Insider

And this?

Here’s where Trump has been tough on Russia — and where he’s backed down

I think my signature quote says it all.

Excellent analogy.

In other news, allow me to recommend Duck Donuts for anyone in PA. Donuts fried in duck fat.... unbelievable.

I have to thank you. All of this talk of donuts was making me crave them ... bad for me! But your description of donuts fried in duck fat just made me want to hurl, so at least I'm not hungry for donuts anymore.

:mrgreen:

I think most folks, especially on the left, have rediscovered the wisdom of Marcus Tullius Cicero, who said "an unjust peace is better than a just war."

Democrats only like wars against right-wing regimes.

When did Trump kick out Russian diplomats? Got a link?
Dangit, this is harder to do from my phone.

Trump kicked out 60 Russian diplomats. He also forced the shutdown of their facilities in San Fransisco and Seattle, etc., so on, and so forth.

And, of course, on top of that, we've tightened sanctions, and he authorized the killing of hundreds of Russians in Syria when they threatened one of our positions, which was fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom