• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#7426]How will Brexit go?***W:46]***

How will Brexit go?

• Total voters
Angela Merkel warns Britain over Brexit ‘illusions’

https://www.ft.com/content/4deb1d40-2b3c-11e7-9ec8-168383da43b7

I'd certainly agree with her last comment above.

In view of this stance being nothing new (Merkel has been saying this all along), Theresa May immediately responding by calling it all a conspiracy by "the 27" seems to justify the call of "get real".

Of course May knows all of this, it's just playing to the gallery of the coming snap election.

If anyone thought things could get no more dishonest than with Boris and Co., better get real as well.

She really pulled out the nationalistic hammer on this one, but a lot are calling her on it with.. "what did you expect!!". She sounds more like a spoilt brat but of course the faithful brainwashed will love what she is saying.

And new numbers out, UK economy is tanking as consumers stop spending because the falling pound has increased prices.

All economic indicators show a shuddering slow-down of growth in the first quarter of 2017. May obviously believes that nothing is going to improve, hence her mad dash to the polls, despite how her u-turn has shown her to be just another duplicitous politician interested only in her own interests and not those of the nation.

Her "strong and stable" mantra is something that the opposition ought to be hammering her on. A strong PM doesn't need to cut and run for the polls when she already has a working majority. A strong PM doesn't hide from scrutiny and run scared from debating her opponents. A stable leadership doesn't resort to conspiracy theories and xenophobic paranoia when she gets called out on her delusional rhetoric about how the Brexit negotiations might turn out.

I still think that she's going to win the election, but I'm starting to feel slightly more confident that she may have her yearned-for landslide denied her by a combination of economic reality bites; the blathering of the minnows in her entourage like Johnson, Fox and IDS, which only help the opposition; the defeat of Le Pen in France, which will give the lie to the idea that Brexit will be contagious; and the drip-drip of negative jobs and growth news.

Last edited:
She really pulled out the nationalistic hammer on this one, but a lot are calling her on it with.. "what did you expect!!". She sounds more like a spoilt brat but of course the faithful brainwashed will love what she is saying.
It's precisely to that choir that she's singing. OTH one can address the same question of "what did you expect" to those now throwing contempt at her.

What's she supposed to do? Say "oh the hell with my getting a majority that'll make me elected PM, I'll just tell everyone that things don't look as good as I keep saying".

And new numbers out, UK economy is tanking as consumers stop spending because the falling pound has increased prices.
That speaks more (and will speak even more more :mrgreen:) about the reality of things as they unfold, than all these lying mugshots can hope to compensate for.

All economic indicators show a shuddering slow-down of growth in the first quarter of 2017. May obviously believes that nothing is going to improve, hence her mad dash to the polls, despite how her u-turn has shown her to be just another duplicitous politician interested only in her own interests and not those of the nation.

Her "strong and stable" mantra is something that the opposition ought to be hammering her on. A strong PM doesn't need to cut and run for the polls when she already has a working majority. A strong PM doesn't hide from scrutiny and run scared from debating her opponents. A stable leadership doesn't resort to conspiracy theories and xenophobic paranoia when she gets called out on her delusional rhetoric about how the Brexit negotiations might turn out.

I still think that she's going to win the election, but I'm starting to feel slightly more confident that she may have her yearned-for landslide denied her by a combination of economic reality bites; the blathering of the minnows in her entourage like Johnson, Fox and IDS, which only help the opposition; the defeat of Le Pen in France, which will give the lie to the idea that Brexit will be contagious; and the drip-drip of negative jobs and growth news.
Point is she'll win. After that everything will be yesterday's papers that one wraps fish in.

Except for the one thing that fish tends to stink. Trouble is that by the time the stench gets to the last person, it has to be thrown away.

But she'll get herself her season of power and I agree on that as counting more to her than anything else.

It's precisely to that choir that she's singing. OTH one can address the same question of "what did you expect" to those now throwing contempt at her.

What's she supposed to do? Say "oh the hell with my getting a majority that'll make me elected PM, I'll just tell everyone that things don't look as good as I keep saying".

I'm throwing contempt at her for the simple reason that she said "I will not call a snap election" eleven times between her election as leader and now. Remind me why anyone, from the deeply cynical to the hopelessly credulous would believe a word she says from here on? Now that the recessionary **** is hitting the economic fan 6 weeks too soon for her, she may face a slightly less than regal progress to a landslide than she's banking on. Let's hope. We headbanging, lefty mugwumps need to seek consolation where we may.

Well, this is the week it all starts for real. Things are likely to start slowly but will heat up pretty quickly - probably not before (as stated on Breakfast TV this morning) the German elections.

I'll post and add to this thread (hopefully there'll be lots of relevant contributions over time) as we progress. How will "Brexit" go - I suppose that depends on whether you voted Remain or Leave.

What are your hopes for the process and outcome? (The basic outcome is "we're out" but will it be a disaster or will we be able to make it a success?

I would hope the EU will be less hig headrd, than they are setting the stage to be.

I'm throwing contempt at her for the simple reason ...............
So am I and for a whole bunch of 'em, going way beyond those that you named.

Been doing that for years on account of long term memory increasing with age. Now I'm waiting for the short time variety to go the way everyone says it will.

One gets grateful for the small blessings.:lol:

Well the EU Heads of State (and a number of other functionaries) have met today and unanimously agreed guidelines on how the Brexit negotiations are to be run.

Two stages of which the first will deal with "money, people and Ireland".

After completion of that one (and not before) the second stage will commence.

Dealing with future relations.

Doesn't sound like UK demands for parallel negotiations on trade have found many friends so far.

Brexit: EU demands 'serious UK response' on citizens' rights - BBC News

Well the EU Heads of State (and a number of other functionaries) have met today and unanimously agreed guidelines on how the Brexit negotiations are to be run.

Two stages of which the first will deal with "money, people and Ireland".

After completion of that one (and not before) the second stage will commence.

Dealing with future relations.

Doesn't sound like UK demands for parallel negotiations on trade have found many friends so far.

Brexit: EU demands 'serious UK response' on citizens' rights - BBC News

What to be expected. Experts have been saying this ever since Brexit happened.. well got voted on.

The tricky one is going to be Ireland/Gibraltar I suspect

Jeez, what a spectacle today.

Dem cruel, nasty and devious continental bastids.

Theresa May accuses EU of trying to influence UK election in astonishing attack | The Independent

Theresa baby, I got news for ya.

Living on the continent as I do and being (unlike you) more in touch with general feelings in a number of countries here, nobody gives a damn about your elections.

Not whether you win a bigger majority, a smaller one, retain the current one or do a landslide and win every vote that's there.

It has absolutely nothing to do with how Brexit negotiations will go.

~ It has absolutely nothing to do with how Brexit negotiations will go.

Yeah but it helps to distract from her record so far. We're too poor for a physical war so a war of words with the EU appeals to many.

Yeah but it helps to distract from her record so far. We're too poor for a physical war so a war of words with the EU appeals to many.
Oh, I'm sure the gallery is hopping with glee.

With regard to the UK election, we could end up with either a second referendum now or Hard Brexit, WTO rules.

There will be no extension of the article 50 negotiations as all 27 of the other countries have to agree this and I feel that is unlikely.

With regard to the UK election, we could end up with either a second referendum now or Hard Brexit, WTO rules.

There will be no extension of the article 50 negotiations as all 27 of the other countries have to agree this and I feel that is unlikely.

I think the Tories should be forced to carry out the negotiations, after consultation with the other parties. They also need to commit to having a referendum on the final deal. To me, that's the payback for losing the snap election gamble.

I think the Tories should be forced to carry out the negotiations, after consultation with the other parties. They also need to commit to having a referendum on the final deal. To me, that's the payback for losing the snap election gamble.

No, I disagree, this is about all our futures. There are too many Brexiters in the Conservative party for the negotiations to end in anything other than WTO rules.

No, I disagree, this is about all our futures. There are too many Brexiters in the Conservative party for the negotiations to end in anything other than WTO rules.

Parliament should say that they have 12 months to do a deal, bring it back and get approval via referendum. If the deal they bring back isn't acceptable they should be sent back until they get it right or resign.

Parliament should say that they have 12 months to do a deal, bring it back and get approval via referendum. If the deal they bring back isn't acceptable they should be sent back until they get it right or resign.

With the Euroskeptic DUP backing the Tories, then it would require 5 Tory rebels to do so... plus Labour of course.

Right now, there are probably still more Remain MPs than Brexit MPs so if there was a cross party vote - that might happen.

With the Euroskeptic DUP backing the Tories, then it would require 5 Tory rebels to do so... plus Labour of course.

The DUP don't want a hard border with Ireland ~ that will set us back years.

No but they want a Brexit... and so far that means Hard and a hard border with Ireland.

Arlene Foster said:
Arlene Foster, the DUP leader, is keen to avoid a hard border with Ireland and has spoken against a "hard Brexit."

She has said: “No-one wants to see a ‘hard’ Brexit, what we want to see is a workable plan to leave the European Union, and that’s what the national vote was about – therefore we need to get on with that.

“However, we need to do it in a way that respects the specific circumstances of Northern Ireland, and, of course, our shared history and geography with the Republic of Ireland."

You're wrong. If anything, it's blocking gay marriage laws the DUP want made hard and fast.

The DUP want a ban on abortion, reject climate change and same sex marriage, and all still live in the 1950's. Those eight throwbacks will be wagging the Conservative dog, and the dog will love it!

The DUP want a ban on abortion, reject climate change and same sex marriage, and all still live in the 1950's. Those eight throwbacks will be wagging the Conservative dog, and the dog will love it!

To be fair.. that is what a large portion of the Tories would love to do as well, but cant say it publicly as it would make them lose their seats.

To be fair.. that is what a large portion of the Tories would love to do as well, but cant say it publicly as it would make them lose their seats.

A charmless bunch to be sure.
DB4ed8nXkAA3zM0.jpg:large

A charmless bunch to be sure.
DB4ed8nXkAA3zM0.jpg:large

That's a horribly photoshopped image. Pixelated on the left suggesting that bit is genuine but then the text further away looks really clear - and then the image of Arlene Foster....

Back
Top Bottom