• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:369]Kavanaugh accused of more unwanted sexual contact by former classmate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually gay and abortion rights are pretty much a part of our social and legal culture. They won't be repealed. It's his other decision, his partisan-ness, his willingness to work as a political hack for Starr's very dubious vendetta and his pretty obvious drinking problem that concerns me. He is against workers rights and very much for expanded presidential powers. He appears to be for a more authoritarian, top down type of government. There were much better Republican candidates. He just doesn't have the quality and honesty displayed by all the other justices. I even think Thomas is more qualified, honest and thoughtful than Kavanaugh and I'm not a real big fan of Thomas' political position.

RBG was a clearly partisan hack, being a hard core extremist on perhaps the most divisive issue in America.

can you find any evidence of him having a drinking problem as a judge?

It's frustrating that the MSM is either backing them up, or refusing to do their jobs as journalists.

Par for the course... They're hacks and corrupt through and through.

I'd note that some of the left's most favorite justices were huge partisan hacks before joining the court. RBG was an abortion rights extremist before she was put on the court-she was a major league litigator for NARAL iirc.

Yet she and Scalia were good friends. While people get hung up on partisan hackery, it is important to understand in the Judiciary branch the necessity of opposing views so that you can challenge your own view and test your own understanding of the law.

you are just speculating. A guy who was tied for valedictorian at a top rated prep school is almost guaranteed to be accepted at Yale. When I attended Yale, "legacy" students had higher GPAs than non-legacy students. The Snow Prize winner at Yale (given to the student ranked by the faculty as generally the best student in the class) three of the four years I was there was a legacy. The guy in my class who won that was a 7th generation Yale man.

I don't think high GPA scores is a requirement for legacy students....

"..The focus on legacy students is not limited to the admissions realm. Using data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Freshmen (NLSF) and controlling for a large set of academic preparation measures and demographic characteristics, Massey and Mooney (2007) show that legacies, unlike athletes and minority students, tend to earn lower grades in college when their SAT scores are below the institutional mean.

A more recent study conducted at Duke University by Martin and Spenner (2009) showed that Duke legacy students lagged behind their peers in the classroom during the first semester of college. They also found that legacies tend to major in humanities, which may have more generous grading curves, and shy away from coursework in natural sciences and engineering (Jaschik, 2008; Martin and Spenner, 2009). The evidence from these two studies suggests that legacy admits do not fare as well as their peers after enrolling in college..."

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/btl/files/michael_hurwitz_-_qp_12-12-09.pdf

"..The focus on legacy students is not limited to the admissions realm. Using data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Freshmen (NLSF) and controlling for a large set of academic preparation measures and demographic characteristics, Massey and Mooney (2007) show that legacies, unlike athletes and minority students, tend to earn lower grades in college when their SAT scores are below the institutional mean.

A more recent study conducted at Duke University by Martin and Spenner (2009) showed that Duke legacy students lagged behind their peers in the classroom during the first semester of college. They also found that legacies tend to major in humanities, which may have more generous grading curves, and shy away from coursework in natural sciences and engineering (Jaschik, 2008; Martin and Spenner, 2009). The evidence from these two studies suggests that legacy admits do not fare as well as their peers after enrolling in college..."

that doesn't contradict what I said. Your "study" assumes legacies with lower SAT scores. that was not the case when I was in college. In fact legacies generally had higher SAT scores. They sometimes had lower GPAs because so many of them were at tough private schools

Maybe he'll make a confession in his memoirs (after retiring from the court).

I think he can be forgiven if he upholds gay and pro-choice rights.

RBG was a clearly partisan hack, being a hard core extremist on perhaps the most divisive issue in America.

can you find any evidence of him having a drinking problem as a judge?
"Political hack" is a pejorative term describing a person who is part of the political party apparatus, but whose intentions are more aligned with victory than personal conviction. The term "hired gun" is often used in tandem to further describe the moral bankruptcy of the "hack". When a group of "political hacks" of a similar political affiliation get together, they are sometimes called a "political hack pack."

Kavanaugh's position on the Starr team and much of his later position as advisor to Bush come under the heading of political hack " intentions are more aligned with victory than personal conviction"

His belief in advancing women in the legal profession by hiring and mentoring women is something he believes in that serves no political purpose for him. It's a conviction not political hacking.(anyway I hope that's what it is)

Ginsberg has convictions about women's rights.

He looks and acts like an alcoholic that can handle drink when professionally engaged.

You don't.
I thought it would be interesting to hear you tell us why Kavanaugh's choice to hire only female law clerks is "weird" but if you don't want to, that's okay too.

Everyone speculates here. It doesn't make what I said to you unique.

I am speculating it’s weird? It’s an opinion. :lol:

I didn’t speculate anything about why he hires only women.

"Political hack" is a pejorative term describing a person who is part of the political party apparatus, but whose intentions are more aligned with victory than personal conviction. The term "hired gun" is often used in tandem to further describe the moral bankruptcy of the "hack". When a group of "political hacks" of a similar political affiliation get together, they are sometimes called a "political hack pack."

Kavanaugh's position on the Starr team and much of his later position as advisor to Bush come under the heading of political hack " intentions are more aligned with victory than personal conviction"

His belief in advancing women in the legal profession by hiring and mentoring women is something he believes in that serves no political purpose for him. It's a conviction not political hacking.(anyway I hope that's what it is)

Ginsberg has convictions about women's rights.

He looks and acts like an alcoholic that can handle drink when professionally engaged.

I am laughing at the attempts to camouflage your own political agenda

I am laughing at the attempts to camouflage your own political hackery

Well enjoy your laugh. I've had the misfortune to know some alcoholics that operated competently in their professional capacity. Eventually the alcoholism became a problem professionally and financially.

If his record is so sterling why was so much information on him withheld by Republicans? Why was information about his duties and position on the Starr commission withheld. If his personal life is so unblemished why is the strange and sudden disappearance of a $250,000 debt not explained? What about his problems with alcohol? The man has issues beyond his inappropriate behavior in high school and college. There will come a time when Republicans will regret their insistence that an unqualified man was placed on the Supreme Court.

The $250k is just his credit card debt. That doesn’t count country club dues, student loans and his $1.2 million dollar mortgage. All gone. Somebody bought a seat on the Supreme Court. I’d love to know who it was. I certainly hope we have an investigative journalist look into this, and “follow the money.”

The $250k is just his credit card debt. That doesn’t count country club dues, student loans and his $1.2 million dollar mortgage. All gone. Somebody bought a seat on the Supreme Court. I’d love to know who it was. I certainly hope we have an investigative journalist look into this, and “follow the money.”

That somebody also bought a lot of silence from a lot of people. Why else was he not asked about something as inexplicable as a $250,000 credit card debt and its astronomical yearly interest costs.

Well enjoy your laugh. I've had the misfortune to know some alcoholics that operated competently in their professional capacity. Eventually the alcoholism became a problem professionally and financially.

well since it never appeared when he was on the bench for 11 years, I suspect your claims are unfounded. wonder why the FBI never could find that either. I had 5 or so FBI background checks myself-one when I was nominated, and four after that (every 5 years or so, though my second was 7 years and then my last two were 4 years apart). They are very extensive. The boy who was captain of the team I coached in 1985 ended up being a professional triathlete in southern California. I ran into him a couple years after my appointment. He said a couple FBI guys showed up where he trained, showed him their credentials and said they asked him all sorts of questions. Some were obvious-did I abuse drugs, did I have a drinking problem and my favorite-any belief if I was a communist agent or loyal to a foreign government. He said he remembered telling them that I had a "great backhand" and they then asked a bunch of questions about how I coached the team. When I had my second background check the guy who interviewed me (different than the first guy) asked how my backhand in squash was. But the point was, I doubt anyone could be an alcoholic and the FBI wouldn't know about it.

What if his credit card debt had been "only" $60,000 plus a loan of $15,000? Someone seems to have taken only the high-end numbers of the between values because the exact amounts were never reported.

"... According to the financial disclosures run by the White House, Kavanaugh reported having debt between $60,000 and $200,000 in 2016, in addition to having a personal loan. His debt was split between three credit cards, each of which held between $15,000 and $50,000 in debt.

As for the loan, it was a Thrift Savings Plan loan that held between $15,000 and $50,000 in debt, as well.

The Washington Post reports that these debts and loan must have been paid off prior to 2017, or else they must have been under the reporting limit. ..."

Brett Kavanaugh’s Net Worth: 5 Fast Facts | Heavy.com

He's been investigated out the ying yang and...nada.

Yeah, everyone accused of a crime should be promised a limited one-week FBI investigation. :roll:

that doesn't contradict what I said. Your "study" assumes legacies with lower SAT scores. that was not the case when I was in college. In fact legacies generally had higher SAT scores. They sometimes had lower GPAs because so many of them were at tough private schools

I found it interesting that study said that legacy students tend to major in the humanities rather than the hard sciences and engineering.

Here's another report that suggests that Yales grading system is skewed to give more students above average grades, especially in the humanities and has been since at least the 80s....

Though many have speculated about the average GPAs given across departments at Yale each semester, the actual data has not been available, either publicly or internally, since 1982, when the Office of Institutional Research stopped releasing annual grade reports to the faculty....

According to grading data compiled by the Office of Institutional Research, the percentage of A-range grades awarded remained relatively constant at about 10 percent until 1963, when the average grade began moving upward in a linear fashion, stabilizing temporarily around 40 percent in the 1970s. In 1983, grades continued their upward trajectory and reached a new summit at 62 percent in spring 2012.

But statistics across departments and disciplines suggest great discrepancies in grading practices throughout Yale College. Within individual departments last spring, the percentage of As and A-minuses ranged from 47.7 percent to 82.5 percent, and STEM departments had significantly lower percentages than social science and humanities departments, according to the report.

UP CLOSE | Defining the Yale College ‘A’

62% of the students all getting A grades does look skewed...especially for legacy students since they tend to major in social sciences and humanities. The percentage there rises to 82.5% of the students getting A grades.

That somebody also bought a lot of silence from a lot of people. Why else was he not asked about something as inexplicable as a $250,000 credit card debt and its astronomical yearly interest costs.

Yeah he has a serious problem with money. Far outspent his means.

I found it interesting that study said that legacy students tend to major in the humanities rather than the hard sciences and engineering.

Here's another report that suggests that Yales grading system is skewed to give more students above average grades, especially in the humanities and has been since at least the 80s....
Though many have speculated about the average GPAs given across departments at Yale each semester, the actual data has not been available, either publicly or internally, since 1982, when the Office of Institutional Research stopped releasing annual grade reports to the faculty....

According to grading data compiled by the Office of Institutional Research, the percentage of A-range grades awarded remained relatively constant at about 10 percent until 1963, when the average grade began moving upward in a linear fashion, stabilizing temporarily around 40 percent in the 1970s. In 1983, grades continued their upward trajectory and reached a new summit at 62 percent in spring 2012.

But statistics across departments and disciplines suggest great discrepancies in grading practices throughout Yale College. Within individual departments last spring, the percentage of As and A-minuses ranged from 47.7 percent to 82.5 percent, and STEM departments had significantly lower percentages than social science and humanities departments, according to the report.

UP CLOSE | Defining the Yale College ‘A’

62% of the students all getting A grades does look skewed...especially for legacy students since they tend to major in social sciences and humanities. The percentage there rises to 82.5% of the students getting A grades.

what does that have to do with Kavanaugh? What do you think most of those applying to law school major in? Molecular Biophysics or Organic Chemistry? When I was here the history Department gave 40% As, the Molecular biochemistry and biophysics department was around 60% and the department of political science (and I was the senior my senior year who sat on the department's advisory board) it was 28% As. I don't know about the other departments, but we had a board meeting where that issue was discussed.

You all can spend the next year speculating, lying, guessing or supposing why Kavanaugh got into Yale, but the fact is, he was an editor of the Yale Law Journal and had a superb record as an appellate judge. I have no idea why some are trying to revisit an issue they already failed on before.

It really is hilarious watching people who seem not to have any experience at these schools trying to argue about Kavanaugh. I suggest they take it up with the admissions office at Yale Law School, assuming the people who made the decisions are even still alive.

Legacy students don't need a high GPA only being the spawn of an alumnus. LOL

Huh, that is a pretty big update there, NYT.... :roll:

thatsaprettybigupdate2.jpg

thatsabigchange.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom