• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:104:1192]Iran state TV: Tehran fires at Iraqi base housing US troops

Re: [W:104]Iran state TV: Tehran fires at Iraqi base housing US troops

Yeah - how'd that work with Syrian Chemical Weapons?

Who cares? Syria is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Russia.

Be careful about what may constitute the 'worse of it'. Remember this a nation that withstood 500,000 killed and a 1 to 2 million total casualties in a war with Iraq that essentially ended in draw. What part of it will we get in the process? As is in "we" I mean just us. Because I don't see anyone, except for perhaps Israel, willing to enjoin us in this effort. And when we 'win'. What will we have won?

You think the Iranians didn't learn from that 10(?) year conflict and all the losses? Do you really think the Iranian families who lost so much would sit idly by while their government did it to them again?

Do you really think the Sunni Gulf nations have a love for Iran? A complete lack of concern? Why do you think Saudi Arabia, among others, have been building up their military so much for the past 30 years? Because of Israel?

I invite you to read some history, specifically the Sunni/Shia split in 632 AD

Isolation and hiding in our bunkers is not the best way to engage with the world. Neither is handing over the entire region to the Russians and the Iranians......but I suspect that's what you want. Is it?

Why should I care if Iran is the country rebuilding Iraq? Oh, I forgot, this is about making sure that US corporations profit instead of Iranian or Russian ones. Gotta throw a few more thousand American lives away so Halliburton, Booz Allen Hamilton, and Lockheed can make a few more billion dollars.

What about the Brits?

They were smart enough to back off and wash their hands of the whole thing.

There are stampedes in many countries
My first post in this thread :)
I have read for the past hour all the latest posts. Interesting subject. However, for me it is more interesting to see if South Africa can avoid load shedding next week.
@SheWolf I chosen to reply to your post because your argument was the weakest I could find. Some people give clever answers and some less clever. Nevertheless, this WWIII nonsense makes for interesting reading. One thing is sure: some people have waaaaays to much time on their hands..... and some have insomnia :) ~ My night shift is almost finished. 1.5hours to go. Keep up the interesting thread. Will rather stick to reading only.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

"Contractor" is such a polite word for "mercenary".

As long as he's working for his home government, he isn't a mercenary.

Could be. Contractors also clean bathrooms, cook meals and maintain equipment.

He worked for Valiant Integrated Services. He wasn't scrubbing toilets.

There will be some kind of reprisal, I'd bet. But, if they struck uninhabited space, well, there are lots of uninhabited things and places to strike in response, if that's what we wish to do. Be interesting to see what Iranian intent was with that launch, but, it seems that more space has opened up for it to not rapidly escalate.
They seem to be sending the message that going forward they wish to blow-up things and not people, so long as we play the same game.

That's by far the lesser of escalations.

They were smart enough to back off and wash their hands of the whole thing.

Yeah, that didn't happen.

That's interesting. Today I had a contractor make me a sandwich on a military base. Was she a bloodthirsty evil ole mercenary?

Hell yeah he was all contractors are powered by blood and paid in oil, didn't you taste the malice in that sandwhich or are you one of those bury their head in the sand while stuffing their face kind of people!

UK 24 hours ago:

"... The Secretary of State for Defence, Ben Wallace, expressed support for America’s decision to take out Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps commander Qasem Soleimani, citing the violence committed in Iraq by Iran-backed militias.

“During the last few months U.S. forces in Iraq, who are based in Iraq at the invitation of the Iraqi government, have been repeatedly attacked by Iranian-backed militia”, Wallace said, in comments reported by The Telegraph.

“General Soleimani has been at the heart of the use of proxies to undermine neighbouring sovereign nations and target Iran’s enemies. Under international law the United States is entitled to defend itself against those posing an imminent threat to their citizens”, the Defence Secretary concluded. ..."

Britain Backs Trump on Iran, Deploys Royal Navy to Persian Gulf – True Pundit

Well, that's good. Angela Merkel actually made similar statements. But we haven't heard from Boris himself.

The question now is—What is the end-game to this escalation?

I think they felt compelled to do something to avoid losing face.

Things should settle down shortly.

Considering the Iraqi Sunnis spent the last 15 years supporting terrorists...

But I guess you prefer to lie about me with the "all Sunnis" BS.

I don't lie and it's your post. I linked it. Anyone can read it and make the decision for themselves.

Solamiman was a terrorist commander. He was a legitimate target.

One notable difference is he was a high ranking member of the Iranian government, which if the US was set on taking him out, would have made more sense to do so quietly.

Like the Soviets during WWII? Any port in a storm. :)

...But thanks for lumping all Sunnis into the "terrorist Muslim" basket. It's an interesting insight from you about your true beliefs.
Sunnis did not perform well the last time Isis threatened

Frontline:
"Shia militias reached new heights of power in Iraq in the aftermath of ISIS’s rampage across the country in 2014. As Iraq’s army crumbled and ISIS seized Mosul, the government relied heavily on Shia militias to halt ISIS’s further advance. That June, Iraq’s top Shia cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, called on his followers to bolster the state’s security forces, but the call would instead serve to swell the ranks of Shia militias. Militias new and old were soon incorporated into the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) — an umbrella group that’s predominantly Shia but now also includes Sunni tribal fighters, Christian militias and other non-military forces fighting ISIS."

I don't lie and it's your post. I linked it. Anyone can read it and make the decision for themselves.

Yes, anyone can see I was specifically talking about Iraqi Sunnis and not "all Sunnis". It is objectively factual that Iraqi Sunnis supported Saddam, the Fedayeen, Al Qaeda, and ISIS.

One notable difference is he was a high ranking member of the Iranian government, which if the US was set on taking him out, would have made more sense to do so quietly.

True,only 2 countries could have done it, US and Israel

Well, that's good. Angela Merkel actually made similar statements. But we haven't heard from Boris himself.

Don't need to ... (grin). The UK supports us alright.

My first post in this thread :)
I have read for the past hour all the latest posts. Interesting subject. However, for me it is more interesting to see if South Africa can avoid load shedding next week.
@SheWolf I chosen to reply to your post because your argument was the weakest I could find. Some people give clever answers and some less clever. Nevertheless, this WWIII nonsense makes for interesting reading. One thing is sure: some people have waaaaays to much time on their hands..... and some have insomnia :) ~ My night shift is almost finished. 1.5hours to go. Keep up the interesting thread. Will rather stick to reading only.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

Yeah, do stick to reading only instead of personally attacking SheWolf.

Handing things over to the Russians is kind of what we DO, now.

And it's wrong....which is why I'm actually a little surprised Trump would risk ticking off Russia in this case. Maybe Putin said "Okay, Donnie, you can have 3 airstrikes but nothing more. I'm serious!!!"

"Something"? You mean like attacking Iran-backed militias that killed an American contractor and wounding two soldiers?

A rocket attack on December 27 killed a US contractor and injured four US service members at a base in Kirkuk, which is in the northeastern part of Iraq. The US has blamed the deadly attack on Kataeb Hezbollah, an Iran-backed militia. The US retaliated with airstrikes thought to have killed dozens of the militia's fighters. Subsequently, the US Embassy in Baghdad was the subject of violent protests, prompting the US to send about 100 more Marines to the embassy for protection.

An eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth, leaves both sides blind and toothless.

And it's wrong....which is why I'm actually a little surprised Trump would risk ticking off Russia in this case. Maybe Putin said "Okay, Donnie, you can have 3 airstrikes but nothing more. I'm serious!!!"

I think Russia would be really happy if we and Iran keep plinking at each other.

Mostly because Iran is one of their best weapons customers, and that inventory has to move.

Solamiman was a terrorist commander. He was a legitimate target.

Agreed. Furthermore, he was an Iranian in Iraq to plan more attacks on Americans.

He was a member of the military and a terrorist.

Back
Top Bottom