• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Video Games: Your primary hobby?

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I just had an interesting discussion. And it makes me wonder about you other gamers out there. Are video games your primary hobby? Or are they a replacement? The more I've thought about it...the more I've come to see them as a replacement for me. I play video games when there is nothing else to entertain me.

If I could do BJJ 5 days a week...I would. But alas money and time are limited. Same with Shooting and paintball. Plus I live in Florida and about 4-5 hours of the day are just too hot to really do outdoor activities regularly without getting skin cancer and dehydrating in about 5 minutes. I would compare it to the surface of the sun...but the sun isn't humid.

Anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had an interesting discussion. And it makes me wonder about you other gamers out there. Are video games your primary hobby? Or are they a replacement? The more I've thought about it...the more I've come to see them as a replacement for me. I play video games when there is nothing else to entertain me.

If I could do BJJ 5 days a week...I would. But alas money and time are limited. Same with Shooting and paintball. Plus I live in Florida and about 4-5 hours of the day are just too hot to really do outdoor activities regularly without getting skin cancer and dehydrating in about 5 minutes. I would compare it to the surface of the sun...but the sun isn't humid.

Anyway.

Well, to be honest now that I am OLD ( ;) ) and can't do many of the things I used to (PARRTTAY!), I do find myself playing P.C. games more and more.

I am not into most "video" games (weird, as I associate that term with the old video games one found in the Mall video game places) and haven't bought into the X-box generation...yet.

But unless geriatric medicine finally comes up with a true fountain of youth, I expect I will pick up on more of those sedentary pretenses at real activity as time goes by.

While I have enjoyed playing video games ever since I was a kid playing on my Atari, they have never been a primary hobby of mine. The main reason is I get burned out on them fairly quickly. I'll get a game like Skyrim, binge on it for 12 straight hours, and then I don't feel like playing for weeks or even months.

Well, to be honest now that I am OLD ( ;) ) and can't do many of the things I used to (PARRTTAY!), I do find myself playing P.C. games more and more.

I am not into most "video" games (weird, as I associate that term with the old video games one found in the Mall video game places) and haven't bought into the X-box generation...yet.

But unless geriatric medicine finally comes up with a true fountain of youth, I expect I will pick up on more of those sedentary pretenses at real activity as time goes by.

What kind of PC games do you like to play? If you haven't tried Civilization or Age of Empires, I think you might dig them.

I have a number of hobbies. Most are outdoor type hobbies. However...

p1_31117000446413.PNG

Every day. At least an hour every day. Unless there's a tournament for my clan and then it's usually 9:00pm until the tourney is over - like 3 to 4 hours. The PC game, not the other variations. I use the exact same user name here and there, BTW.

While age hits us all...I am actually concerned that if lose my active hobbies I'm in for a lot of trouble. My family has weight (too heavy) problems. And my dad has always been capable of extreme weight loss even into his late 40s (when he put his mind to it), but he has gotten more into video games and sedentary stuff too. Even his hunting and fishing has gotten a little more lazy (though he hasn't picked up deer hunting yet). I don't want that to be me. I want to be more like my instructor in martial arts...still in shape. Even if it isn't the best.

While I have enjoyed playing video games ever since I was a kid playing on my Atari, they have never been a primary hobby of mine. The main reason is I get burned out on them fairly quickly. I'll get a game like Skyrim, binge on it for 12 straight hours, and then I don't feel like playing for weeks or even months.

That happened to me with hitman. I found that I was having to spend too much time making a hit perfect and not getting detected. Which is fine...but sadly it just burned me out as I was a bit of a perfectionist. Maybe I could lower the difficulty...but that seems like cheating.

It doesn't help that I like to use bare hands in that game. Lol.

p1_31117000446413.PNG

Every day. At least an hour every day. Unless there's a tournament for my clan and then it's usually 9:00pm until the tourney is over - like 3 to 4 hours. The PC game, not the other variations. I use the exact same user name here and there, BTW.

I played WoT. I preferred War Thunder on realistic though. WoT just wrong to me. The view distance and stuff. I like a game where you can see across the map (even if you can't hit things). Lol. Though their artillery is way cooler.

What kind of PC games do you like to play? If you haven't tried Civilization or Age of Empires, I think you might dig them.

Civilization; Total War (entire series); Europa Universalis (along with the other Paradox game lines); Master of Orion; Supreme Ruler 2020, etc.

While age hits us all...I am actually concerned that if lose my active hobbies I'm in for a lot of trouble. My family has weight (too heavy) problems. And my dad has always been capable of extreme weight loss even into his late 40s (when he put his mind to it), but he has gotten more into video games and sedentary stuff too. Even his hunting and fishing has gotten a little more lazy (though he hasn't picked up deer hunting yet). I don't want that to be me. I want to be more like my instructor in martial arts...still in shape. Even if it isn't the best.

I suggest you do what I do, develop a workout regimen within your physical limits...and stick to it. ;)

I am going a little old school these days.

https://www.gog.com/games?sort=bestselling&search=forgotten%20realms&page=1

Those old D&D games came out on GOG and I am enjoying the challenge when I have time. What i like about it is I can save and come back some other day and jump right back in where I left off..

A mmorpg can tie you down when other people are counting on you to round out their party.

I do like lotr and D&D online from time to time.

Being indoors is the lamest excuse, sorry. If you *want* to play video games 4-5 hours a day, just admit that. If you want to not gain weight and you want other hobbies, there's plenty to do indoors. Like...go to the gym? Get a treadmill? Hell if you're really skilled, you could run a treadmill and play at the same time!

Being broke is also a lame excuse. Plenty is cheaper than a newish game.

My grandpa played on a pool team into his 70s. That's indoors. Go to meetups, whatever. Or play video games, but don't lie to yourself or others that you lack options

p1_31117000446413.PNG

I sometimes play world of tanks from time to time.

Look for my account name " FirestormIV"

Primary hobby growing up and into my twenties. At about 28 I made work my primary "hobby".
Once married w/kid I had a lot less time, so it was family first but less time than work, work was hobby+work for some 15 years.
Now I'm developing PC games as my primary hobby, and play some as the secondary hobby, along with sporadic other hobbies.
I say that, but I usually read 1.5-2 hours a day, and watch 1 hour of TV shows a day as well. I have a lot of free time I guess!

MMOs can definitely suck up too much time, when Ultima Online and then DAOC were out, I played those hard, but hung up the MMO games after DAOC in order to focus on work. I'm sure it would have been fun, but I wouldn't have nearly as much to show for it.

Anyway.

If I lived on the coast, I'd be fishing. If I had my own land I'd be gardening/hunting. Since those two hobbies are currently limited, and right now my hours are not conducive to league bowling much to my disappointment... I game. Of course, I've always enjoyed VG's and would play still if all the above were available, just not nearly as often.

I will admit, video games are one of my hobbies. They're my escape from reality. They're a way to channel aggression or anxiety.

If I've had a particularly tough day at work, I might want to grab a beer and mellow out with a little No Man's Sky.
Maybe it was a BAD day at work, and now I want to kill as many people as I want in either Battlefield 1, or even GTA5.
Friday evenings, I catch up with a couple friends that have moved out of state. We play GTA5 while catching up in conversation.
I might even fire up my Hearts of Iron PC game and chill with some deep grand strategy.

Is it all I do? Nope. But my generation is the first gaming generation. We had Atari's and Intellivisions before a lot of current gamers were born. We'll be the first generation to be on the couch with our friends in the old folks' home. Might not be able to run a flea flicker in real life at age 75, but dammit I'll be able to pull it off on my TV.

I will admit, video games are one of my hobbies. They're my escape from reality. They're a way to channel aggression or anxiety.

If I've had a particularly tough day at work, I might want to grab a beer and mellow out with a little No Man's Sky.
Maybe it was a BAD day at work, and now I want to kill as many people as I want in either Battlefield 1, or even GTA5.
Friday evenings, I catch up with a couple friends that have moved out of state. We play GTA5 while catching up in conversation.
I might even fire up my Hearts of Iron PC game and chill with some deep grand strategy.

Is it all I do? Nope. But my generation is the first gaming generation. We had Atari's and Intellivisions before a lot of current gamers were born. We'll be the first generation to be on the couch with our friends in the old folks' home. Might not be able to run a flea flicker in real life at age 75, but dammit I'll be able to pull it off on my TV.

I was a master of the weak side intellivision break away short pass.

p1_31117000446413.PNG

As I get older I have found a lot of pleasure in watching people play video games. theMightyJingles is on my daily viewing schedule. I'm really not very good at WOT so I resign myself to admiring those who are.

Anyway.

I'm more curious about what you said about BJJ, as I've been thinking about starting. How long have you been doing it? Would you recommend?

Anyway.

I miss the days I had time for that particular hobby.

Being indoors is the lamest excuse, sorry. If you *want* to play video games 4-5 hours a day, just admit that. If you want to not gain weight and you want other hobbies, there's plenty to do indoors. Like...go to the gym? Get a treadmill? Hell if you're really skilled, you could run a treadmill and play at the same time!

Being broke is also a lame excuse. Plenty is cheaper than a newish game.

My grandpa played on a pool team into his 70s. That's indoors. Go to meetups, whatever. Or play video games, but don't lie to yourself or others that you lack options

Yes, video games are my primary hobby. At this point, they are also an escape mechanism into worlds that I can actually run, jump, shoot fire out my ass and lop off heads! Since my thing are RPG's, I can also enjoy creatively decorating my home to my own standards, knowing someone else will not wander in to drop piles of clutter on every flat surface. I can usually craft my own weapons and armor, choose my own path through various quest choices, and otherwise be in control of at least one small facet of my life for a few hours every week!

Good on your grandpa, lol, but not everyone has the options to jump on a treadmill or take a brisk walk outside. My personal comfort zone extends only as far as my oxygen tube, and required trips outside are frustrating, painful ordeals.

So I'm actually not the least bit ashamed of being a habitual gamer; I have been for nearly two decades, even before I became ill. My current loves are Dragon Age: Inquisition and Skyrim. I'd been breathlessly waiting for the new Mass Effect release, but the reviews of bugginess, complaints about inability to customize characters with faces that don't look cardboard have me kind of skittish about getting it until some significant patches are released. I haven't actually been able to learn much about the next Elder Scrolls release, but I sure hope one is on the drawing board!

Anyway.

Shiite! I live in SW Fl and my hobby is digging fossils in the peace river and drinking beer, but ima young'un, 36!

What dehydration? BEER!

What skin cancer? I'm 36!

Back
Top Bottom