• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

VA Senate Votes Down Gun Ban

It seems some of the governors support has caved in the face of 20,000 mostly armed protesters.

It's a bad day for democracy in the USA, when an armed gang can influence legislators.
Weren't you one of those saying how armed citizens are defenseless against the National Guard's tanks and attack helicopters? Why are you backpedaling now?

So the 20,000 heavily armed protesters now constitute "the people"

Maybe those favoring gun control need to be more threatening in order to be politically effective ???
Ahh, I see what you are doing now: You're just fear-mongering against American citizens to have a minority government impose the laws you like. Sad.

So what "more threatening" measures are you proposing? Pink ***** Hats that are double-stitched and have a liner? Writing sternly more worded letters but in all caps?

Wonder how many of "the people"were Dems.?

'

Good question. I don't know but perhaps we'll know come election time. Maybe the Governor and his little group need to stop having circle jerks at the mansion hot tub and actually get out into the State of Virginia and talk to their citizens.

But not necessarily Va voters

I'm not sure I would protest against a rally of 20,000 mostly heavily armed me

Shooting : No
Threatening : Hell yes.

I was there. They weren't threatening in any way. And they weren't shooting. And the vast majority were Virginia residents.

So the 20,000 heavily armed protesters now constitute "the people"

Maybe those favoring gun control need to be more threatening in order to be politically effective ???

yeah the bannerrhoid movement should pick armed conflict with the pro freedom side. That will cut down on the number of freedom hating voters substantially. Good thinking there, Rich

It seems some of the governors support has caved in the face of 20,000 mostly armed protesters.

It's a bad day for democracy in the USA, when an armed gang can influence legislators.

It would be a worse day if they couldn't.

IF some were from outta state how does that differ from Bloomberg bringing in bus loads of shills?

What is a "shill" and do you have an example ?

You're afraid of guns maybe? Why?

Because a gang of protesters brandishing them are highly dangerous....if confronted by that many heavily armed men, I would leave PDQ

You're right no shooting, just saying remember us? We did nothing. Yet?

Yet ?

Only in your mind.

As you said, no shooting yet
That's not threatening ? You don't feel threatened when faced with a heavily armed gang of men ?

What bring your slingshots to the Capitol?

More like harsh words and letter writing

How can a civilized country allow such naked mob rule ?

Rhetorical? Just saying how many of the protesters are Dems.

Do do not know what rhetorical means ?

So post what numbers you have.

A bad day for democracy when a 20,000 heavily armed gang doesn't get what it wants ?

Is that what you just said ?

Pretty much. We all have the right to petition the government and to speak our piece. We can even wear funny looking hats or carry signs.

Being heavily or lightly armed does not change that.

Weren't you one of those saying how armed citizens are defenseless against the National Guard's tanks and attack helicopters? Why are you backpedaling now?

Yes I did.

Where is the "back peddling" ?

While Richmond is a case of naked mob rule, and army unit would make short work of that mob.

Ahh, I see what you are doing now: You're just fear-mongering against American citizens to have a minority government impose the laws you like. Sad....

So you think mob rule is better if the mob forces something that you agree with ?

So what "more threatening" measures are you proposing? Pink ***** Hats that are double-stitched and have a liner? Writing sternly more worded letters but in all caps?

The rule of the ballot box.

I was there. They weren't threatening in any way. And they weren't shooting. And the vast majority were Virginia residents.

No, of course not.

Why do you think anyone might feel threatened by the presence of a 20,000 strong heavily armed mob ?

yeah the bannerrhoid movement should pick armed conflict with the pro freedom side. That will cut down on the number of freedom hating voters substantially. Good thinking there, Rich

Why would a voter hate freedom ?

The voter wants freedom....freedom from guns.

Why would a voter hate freedom ?

The voter wants freedom....freedom from guns.

that's like saying those who want to be free of associating with blacks or asians are not bigots but freedom seekers. WRONG. Your right not to soil your undergarments out of fear is not a right that can impact what I can own

Pretty much. We all have the right to petition the government and to speak our piece. We can even wear funny looking hats or carry signs.

Being heavily or lightly armed does not change that.

IMO, yes it does.

Stand outside the White House or the Capitol with an assault type weapon and see what happens.

that's like saying those who want to be free of associating with blacks or asians are not bigots but freedom seekers. WRONG. Your right not to soil your undergarments out of fear is not a right that can impact what I can own

My right to life and liberty should determine your right to own something that can take it away from me.

My right to life and liberty should determine your right to own something that can take it away from me.

that's moronic,. There are already severe punishments in place for someone who would take away your life or liberty.

AFTER my life has been taken away

Sorry but that dog don't hunt.

prior restraint is a piss poor argument. You don't have a right to restrict others because they might hurt you but have demonstrated no propensity to do so

Unless that person happens to be for example a... cop.

Nice diversion but not exactly honest either. Cops are prosecuted all the time for civil rights violations. Just ask Rodney King

No, of course not.

Why do you think anyone might feel threatened by the presence of a 20,000 strong heavily armed mob ?

I have no idea. I've owned guns for 70 years, carried them more often that not. I was also at this 20,000 + demonstration. I did not feel threatened, and I was correct. Not one shot fired. Nobody got hurt. We did our thing. Went about our business.

Nice diversion but not exactly honest either. Cops are prosecuted all the time for civil rights violations. Just ask Rodney King

If you’re as all knowing lawyer as you say you are then you know most police departments have extremely poor procedures to deal with brutality and lethal force, that regardless of the evidence juries tend to favour police in most circumstances, that civil forfeiture is used successfully against innocent people, police can legally lie to get false confessions from innocent people and that elected sheriffs, attorney generals and judges in particular lead to utter **** shows in terms of how laws are enforced.

And to top it all off when a cop does go and blow someone away and people just want answers, who’s usually the ones that tell us that it’s anti-police... alleged Small Government Conservatives.

If you’re as all knowing lawyer as you say you are then you know most police departments have extremely poor procedures to deal with brutality and lethal force, that regardless of the evidence juries tend to favour police in most circumstances, that civil forfeiture is used successfully against innocent people, police can legally lie to get false confessions from innocent people and that elected sheriffs, attorney generals and judges in particular lead to utter **** shows in terms of how laws are enforced.

And to top it all off when a cop does go and blow someone away and people just want answers, who’s usually the ones that tell us that it’s anti-police... alleged Small Government Conservatives.

that was often the case, in the past, but with everyone packing cameras on their phones and the justice department having an active section investigating police abuse, cops just cannot kill people without justification and be free and clear of repercussions

I have no idea. I've owned guns for 70 years, carried them more often that not. I was also at this 20,000 + demonstration. I did not feel threatened, and I was correct. Not one shot fired. Nobody got hurt. We did our thing. Went about our business.

Not only agreed but I've had a similar experience for the past 50 years.

Back
Top Bottom