• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Twitter labeled Trump tweets with a fact check for the first time

I'm not on Twitter. I have no grounds for a suit.

But understand that, under U.S. libel law, a publisher that curates content -- like what Twitter is doing here -- accepts accountability for that content.

Copyright claims ... libel .... criminal conspiracy ...

Twitter can't possibly police the content of every user to the degree necessary to protect itself from liability.

So, in the past, Twitter and other social media platforms have argued that they are utilities like the phone company. AT&T is not reponsible for what you say on their network almost entirely because ATT&T doesn't attempt to exercise control over what you say on their network.

So where does that leave Twitter?

Do you know what the issue here is?

We should fact check everything we are being told, twice.

You're fine with the President threatening to defy the First amendment? I bet not many others are. I bet Trump loses a lot of support if he presses this issue.

Selective censorship/recourse/fact check by Twitter constitutes political persecution. If Twitter - which is supposedly a neutral public access platform - wants to persecute one political party over another, they need to declare themselves as political operatives and are subject to laws governing political groups.

It will take years for us to regain any type of standing within the global community. We may never see it in our lifetimes.

it's terrifying that Maury Povich would have probably been a much better reality tv show president. they literally picked one of the dumbest mother****ers on the planet, and man, are they ever going all the way with that.

We should fact check everything we are being told, twice.

If I fact-checked every one of your posts, would accept my conclusions?

I've actually written fact-check articles for large newspapers. I promise you, "fact-checking" is not truth. There is no shorthand for critical thinking.

Selective censorship/recourse/fact check by Twitter constitutes political persecution. If Twitter - which is supposedly a neutral public access platform - wants to persecute one political party over another, they need to declare themselves as political operatives and are subject to laws governing political groups.

Seriously .. why would Twitter expose themselves like this?

I've actually written fact-check articles for large newspapers. I promise you, "fact-checking" is not truth. There is no shorthand for critical thinking.

My post wasn't clear. I am not a journalist or anyone of importance. I just post opinions. Most of our leaders and journalists are often misleading, biased.

My post wasn't clear. I am not a journalist or anyone of importance. I just post opinions. Most of our leaders and journalists are often misleading, biased.

I am a journalist. Journalists are no one of importance, either. It's just a job -- some do it better than others.

Sorry if I come off a little accusatory. I don't mean to insult you personally.

Although Trump should not have done it, it does prepare the field for a “Discussion about the cost of baseless accusations”.
The attempted coup on Trump. FBI entrapment, baseless charges leveled at Kavenaugh, etc. I’ll stop here.

Scarborough is getting a taste of the garbage his station puts out, and he is getting a taste in real human terms. Scarborough and is wife are probably munching on toast worrying with his wife that “If they re open and push this and make us a victim of state power, we will be as bankrupt as Gen. Flynn! This is only supposed to happen to them, not us!”

You can't defend Trump's behavior so instead, you try to accuse others of the same.

The problem is your examples are NOT the same. But it works for you because now it becomes an argument about how your comparison is / not equivalent rather than arguing about what Trump did.

Doesn't it make more sense to judge each action on its own rather than trying to excuse it by referring to what someone else did or did not do? Don't you see how that leads to a situation where no one is ever held accountable for their actions because they can always point to someone else who did the same or worse?

Let's return to the subject. Do you admit that Trump is dishonest?

I am a journalist. Journalists are no one of importance, either. It's just a job -- some do it better than others.

Sorry if I come off a little accusatory. I don't mean to insult you personally.

no worries

But it's not black and white. Some things are clearly false. Trump's accusations about Joe Scarborough are clearly false.

I don't know. Is Twitter a platform or a publisher?

What do you want, a label? If I had to chose between those two, I'd say It's a social media platform. I'd also say nobody has a 'right' to access it and nobody has a 'right' to be uncensored on it.
Twitter was asked by the woman's husband to remove the Tweets from Trump and instead they posted a disclaimer. Are you saying Trump should sue them?

it's terrifying that Maury Povich would have probably been a much better reality tv show president. they literally picked one of the dumbest mother****ers on the planet, and man, are they ever going all the way with that.

Yup. Ride or die. That's the mentality of those who still follow him. "I don't care what he does, no way am I going to admit that I was wrong, or that he is bad for the country."

So yeah. Killing the country to own the libs. Nice. :roll:

What do you want, a label? If I had to chose between those two, I'd say It's a social media platform. I'd also say nobody has a 'right' to access it and nobody has a 'right' to be uncensored on it.
Twitter was asked by the woman's husband to remove the Tweets from Trump and instead they posted a disclaimer. Are you saying Trump should sue them?

It's not about rights. It's about liability.

Here's some food for thought.

Here's an article about the law in question.

It's not about rights. It's about liability.

Here's some food for thought.

Here's an article about the law in question.

I still don't know what your beef is here. Twitter was asked to take the Tweets off the board but they posted a disclaimer instead. Do you say Trump should sue them for that? You said, "Let the lawsuits begin!" or words to that effect. What's the basis for a lawsuit, in your opinion?

I still don't know what your beef is here. Twitter was asked to take the Tweets off the board but they posted a disclaimer instead. Do you say Trump should sue them for that? You said, "Let the lawsuits begin!" or words to that effect. What's the basis for a lawsuit, in your opinion?

Not Trump ... Everyone else.

Twitter is protected as a platform under federal code. This action directly jeopardizes that standing.

Not Trump ... Everyone else.

Twitter is protected as a platform under federal code. This action directly jeopardizes that standing.

We'll see if the courts agree with you. I think we can be pretty sure the A-G's office will be looking into it.
What's to stop Twitter from cancelling Trumps account if it looks like It's too much of a legal pain in the butt for them?

Back
Top Bottom