• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Truth About Police Violence Against Black Men-Facts are stubborn things

volsrock

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
The reality, Lemoine declares, is that a random black male is “overwhelmingly unlikely” to be the victim of police violence, and any disparity that does exist between the violence blacks and whites experience in their encounter with cops “is consistent with the racial gap in violent crime, suggesting that the role of racial bias is small.”

According to the Washington Post, just 16 unarmed black men out of a population of more than 20 million were killed by the police in 2016 – down from 36 the year before. These figures are numerically comparable to the number of black men that could be struck by lightning in any given year, Lemoine calculates, and they include cases in which the shooting was justified, even if the person killed was unarmed.

“Police killings of black unarmed males are incredibly rare, and it’s completely misleading to talk about an ‘epidemic of them,” he writes, pointing out that the left makes a similar comparison “when they argue that it’s completely irrational to fear that you might become a victim of terrorism.”

It’s not even true that black men are beaten on a regular basis by the police, or even pulled over constantly without reason. Using data from the Police-Public Contact Survey, based on a nationally representative sample of more than 70,000 U.S. residents age 16 or older, Lemoine notes that “black men are less likely than white men to have contact with the police in any given year.” Only 1.5 percent of black men have more than three contacts with the police in any given year, he points out – only marginally more than the 1.2 percent of white men who do.

The Truth About Police Violence Against Black Men | Frontpage Mag

I know of 5 Dallas police officers killed at a BLM protest march. The police are killed for no reason other than hate far more than I have seen blacks unjustifiably killed by police.

Black_Lives_Matter_is_really_protesting_nothing (1).jpg

ANOTHER PARTISAN POOP THREAD BY A KNOWN RIGHT WING NUT​

[Sigh! For you relatively new to DP, you may want to take note of some of the more extreme partisan posters who choose to start numerous threads just about every day.

A quick check of the link in the OP reveals it as a known extreme RIGHT WING NUT source:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/frontpage-magazine/

If you like RWNs, you'd probably like the French guy quoted in the OP.

Cheers!

[Sigh! For you relatively new to DP, you may want to take note of some of the more extreme partisan posters who choose to start numerous threads just about every day.

A quick check of the link in the OP reveals it as a known extreme RIGHT WING NUT source:

Cheers!

Are the statistics on the chart he posted bogus?

If not then I have to ask, why are you attacking the source rather than addressing his post?

If not then I have to ask, why are you attacking the source rather than addressing his post?

Quite frankly Grim, sources work for me sort of like a barometer. Take the members of the Supreme Court as examples. I have a pretty good idea of each member's judicial philosophy and predilection. IMO, the thread OP conveys inaccurate and misleading information. I disagree with the suggestion that when it comes to Police Violence Against Blacks "...the role of racial bias is small." Post #2 used a less biased source to convey related data. Today, we can support biased views by relying on Filter Bubbles. I suggest that the poster who began this thread has a predilection for using RWN sources and has an extreme RWN bias. I have read, at a minimum, 100s of posts attributed to the aforementioned poster to draw my conclusion.

Quite frankly Grim, sources work for me sort of like a barometer. Take the members of the Supreme Court as examples. I have a pretty good idea of each member's judicial philosophy and predilection. IMO, the thread OP conveys inaccurate and misleading information. I disagree with the suggestion that when it comes to Police Violence Against Blacks "...the role of racial bias is small." Post #2 used a less biased source to convey related data. Today, we can support biased views by relying on Filter Bubbles. I suggest that the poster who began this thread has a predilection for using RWN sources and has an extreme RWN bias. I have read, at a minimum, 100s of posts attributed to the aforementioned poster to draw my conclusion.

Post #2 didn't once mention police violence against blacks. So how could it convey related data?

Just because a source may be biased does not mean that the info in that source is not accurate. So long as the numbers are backed up by valid science then the source doesn't matter. Or at least it shouldn't.

Your problem with the thread creator is noted.

But, I would like to read you argument, or dodge, regarding the FBI statistics that the thread creator presented.

I will "take a knee" and wait for your response.

Well, the whole Black Lives Matter group sprung up around the "hands up, don't shoot" mantra after the Michael Brown shooting. Their entire platform is based on the idea that cops shoot black suspects at a high rate. The media ran with that narrative, but until a black Harvard professor set out to find out why, we didn't really have any good numbers.

What the black professor found, however, is that blacks were not shot at higher rates. That makes the whole BLM thing not only wrong but dangerous as it convinced black folks that they were being killed by police in high numbers. Now, black suspects are more susceptible to other types of physical force, such as being handcuffed, but not being shot. BLM is just flat-out wrong.

I suggest you read this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/...police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

The reality, Lemoine declares, is that a random black male is “overwhelmingly unlikely” to be the victim of police violence, and any disparity that does exist between the violence blacks and whites experience in their encounter with cops “is consistent with the racial gap in violent crime, suggesting that the role of racial bias is small.”

According to the Washington Post, just 16 unarmed black men out of a population of more than 20 million were killed by the police in 2016 – down from 36 the year before. These figures are numerically comparable to the number of black men that could be struck by lightning in any given year, Lemoine calculates, and they include cases in which the shooting was justified, even if the person killed was unarmed.

“Police killings of black unarmed males are incredibly rare, and it’s completely misleading to talk about an ‘epidemic of them,” he writes, pointing out that the left makes a similar comparison “when they argue that it’s completely irrational to fear that you might become a victim of terrorism.”

It’s not even true that black men are beaten on a regular basis by the police, or even pulled over constantly without reason. Using data from the Police-Public Contact Survey, based on a nationally representative sample of more than 70,000 U.S. residents age 16 or older, Lemoine notes that “black men are less likely than white men to have contact with the police in any given year.” Only 1.5 percent of black men have more than three contacts with the police in any given year, he points out – only marginally more than the 1.2 percent of white men who do.

I know of 5 Dallas police officers killed at a BLM protest march. The police are killed for no reason other than hate far more than I have seen blacks unjustifiably killed by police.

View attachment 67223179

And you believe mentioning this is politically correct?

I don't know the exact numbers and the statistics could stand deeper analysis. But from memory of the time series I have looked at they should be about right. To attack them you would have to put in a lot of time and would turn up that they mean about, what they seem to.

I agree BLM is statistically unsound. But so too is Right Wing Whites jumping up and down about coal mining jobs. Stupid or not, both idiots have that right.

Well, the whole Black Lives Matter group sprung up around the "hands up, don't shoot" mantra after the Michael Brown shooting. Their entire platform is based on the idea that cops shoot black suspects at a high rate. The media ran with that narrative, but until a black Harvard professor set out to find out why, we didn't really have any good numbers.

What the black professor found, however, is that blacks were not shot at higher rates. That makes the whole BLM thing not only wrong but dangerous as it convinced black folks that they were being killed by police in high numbers. Now, black suspects are more susceptible to other types of physical force, such as being handcuffed, but not being shot. BLM is just flat-out wrong.

I suggest you read this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/...police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

I fully agree with your take but would point out two things.
- There seem to be studies that show other results. I have looked at both types and tend to think that the study mentioned in the article is correct.
- The division and divisiveness are due to politicians like Obama over emphasizing the shootings of Blacks instead of explaining, what was going on. This is part of what has become of the civil rights mythology that relies greatly on tales from a victimized minority for funds to keep going. This has become necessary as the direction has proven wrong and the vested interest in the programs are huge.

View attachment 67223179

We all knew this from nearly the start, seeing as anyone could see the information if they had the inclination to search it out.

I fully agree with your take but would point out two things.
- There seem to be studies that show other results. I have looked at both types and tend to think that the study mentioned in the article is correct.
- The division and divisiveness are due to politicians like Obama over emphasizing the shootings of Blacks instead of explaining, what was going on. This is part of what has become of the civil rights mythology that relies greatly on tales from a victimized minority for funds to keep going. This has become necessary as the direction has proven wrong and the vested interest in the programs are huge.

I completely agree. Obama really set the stage for the racial divisiveness we're seeing today. Whereas he had the perfect opportunity to further unite us -- his knee-jerk actions did just the opposite.

I'd never really considered the funding issue behind these programs, but I think you're right, I think they're a driving force for continuing the victim narrative.

It's sad, really.

I don't know the exact numbers and the statistics could stand deeper analysis. But from memory of the time series I have looked at they should be about right. To attack them you would have to put in a lot of time and would turn up that they mean about, what they seem to.

Just for the hell of it, I looked the numbers up from the FBI source listed on that chart and used the 2013 population figures from Pew Research. The numbers are slightly different, but close enough in my opinion.

Here's my figures, with the difference from the chart in parenthesis:

Whites killed by Blacks - 10.53 (+0.7)
Blacks killed by Whites - 0.45 (-0.32)
Whites killed by Whites - 12.71 (+2.49)
Blacks killed by blacks - 57.71 (+4.77)

I think that is only part of why things are so divisive today and race relations are at a 30 year low. Obama became a political tool used by the democrats, liberal pundits and progressive organizations, to label anyone who criticized or disagreed with Obama's policies and actions, as being "racist". It started with the rise of the Tea Party and their opposition to what would eventually become Obamacare. The left had never seen such effective, well organized opposition from the right, and it was clear that they were losing the debate. As they had done so often in the past, the left decided that they needed to silence the opposition rather than debate them, and that's when they began using the race-card strategy to discredit anyone who disagreed with the Obama/progressive agenda, by labeling them as "racists". Since the main stream media allowed them to present that narrative basically unchallenged, the left has laid it on thicker and thicker, until we find ourselves now, 7 years later, with a country more divided than it's been in my lifetime.

The left used America's first black president as a means to discredit and silence political adversaries with false accusations of racism. Even though it's a failed political strategy that over the last 6 years has cost democrats more than a thousand political seats nationwide, and has divided this nation to the point where some believe we are headed toward a civil war, the left continues pushing this divisive, phony political narrative without any regard for the damage it's done, and continues to create.

Post #2 didn't once mention police violence against blacks. So how could it convey related data?

Just because a source may be biased does not mean that the info in that source is not accurate. So long as the numbers are backed up by valid science then the source doesn't matter. Or at least it shouldn't.

Your counter point parses a hair. I agree the link in Post #2 does not contain data about Police shootings. Both the Chart in the OP and the link in Post #2 delve on the subject of homicide and who kills who by racial significance.
I also have a pretty good notion of your predilection on the subject. You make your arguments with far better skill than the thread creator. Cheers!

Race and Homicide in America, by the Numbers

I suggest you read this.

Thank you for the link. I agree that the impetus behind the BLM Movement, IMO like most Movements, relies on grossly inaccurate perceptions. Nonetheless, concluding Black Lives Do Not Matter... that "BLM is just flat-out wrong" minimizes disparate treatment of Blacks by LE.

Now, black suspects are more susceptible to other types of physical force, such as being handcuffed, but not being shot. BLM is just flat-out wrong.

Your problem with the thread creator is noted.

But, I would like to read you argument, or dodge, regarding the FBI statistics that the thread creator presented.

I will "take a knee" and wait for your response.

All grins! I respect your right to "take a knee". I doubt any members of the PRESS take interest in your gestures and ask you to explain yourself.

You either believe Black Lives Matter or you believe Black Lives Do Not Matter. When a RWN creates an OP with statistics to conclude Police Violence against Blacks has minimal significance in society, I tend to take that conclusion with the proverbial grain of salt.

Now pivoting to a subject we can both connect to:

Like... like like... when I, as a R.E. Broker, hire someone to perform a Home Inspection, their credibility and track record of prior home inspections matter. From your prior posts and pics, I already have the utmost confidence in both your home inspection and renovation skills. More Grins!

Perhaps because his entire shtick seems to be to ignore all the video evidence of rogue cops murdering citizens in the streets? Because the argument is, "meh, it's only a few murders"?

All grins! I respect your right to "take a knee". I doubt any members of the PRESS take interest in your gestures and ask you to explain yourself.

You either believe Black Lives Matter or you believe Black Lives Do Not Matter. When a RWN creates an OP with statistics to conclude Police Violence against Blacks has minimal significance in society, I tend to take that conclusion with the proverbial grain of salt.

Now pivoting to a subject we can both connect to:

Like... like like... when I, as a R.E. Broker, hire someone to perform a Home Inspection, their credibility and track record of prior home inspections matter. From your prior posts and pics, I already have the utmost confidence in both your home inspection and renovation skills. More Grins!

Next they will attempt to convince you (rationalize) our mass incarceration corporate privatized prisons are all based upon equal treatment under the law within the judicial system.

Cheers!

If you really want to slam his post...you really need to post numbers. How many blacks are killed by police? How many whites? We can extrapolate a lot from there.

View attachment 67223179

From Chiraq, ground central for cop on black crime:

2017 Stats | Chicago Murder, Crime & Mayhem | HeyJackass!

Do take note that out of the 520 killings, there are 10 dead, 10 wounded by police.

Fun fact:
Cost estimates provided by Chicago Killings Cost $2.5 Billion and The bill for treating a gunshot wound: $21,000 for the first 35 minutes.

But what is a millionaire whiner going to do. As Confucius say: "Whiners gotta whine".

If you really want to slam his post...you really need to post numbers. How many blacks are killed by police? How many whites? We can extrapolate a lot from there.

Review the Tamir Rice tape. There's a problem.

View attachment 67223179

Not to mention the fact that the many of the ones who are killed had perpetrated acts of violence against the officers first. The most recent one (which actually happened in 2011) had tried to run officers over with his car. Michael Brown had tried to wrestle a police officer's gun away from him, etc. While these deaths have decreased, as you pointed out, the killings of police officers have actually increased because officers are in fear of making the six o'clock news and then wind up making the six o'clock news anyway after one of these thugs kills them.

Back
Top Bottom