• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump's ACA Replacement Promises

Visbek

Stuck In The Circle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
So far, and on record, he has promised:

• Lower costs (not clear if this means lower premiums, or lower cost of care, or both)

• You will "have something to say about who your doctor is and your plan"

• We have to cover people who can't afford it

• Block grants of Medicaid

• "Nobody is going to be dying on the streets with a President Trump”

• Everyone will have health insurance, even if they can't afford it (""We're going to have insurance for everybody," Trump told The Washington Post. "There was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.")

• Medicare and Medicaid will be allowed to negotiate prices with pharmaceuticals

• Interstate insurance will be allowed

• Repeal and replace will be simultaneous (I assume this means the repeal law will include the replacement law, not that it will be actually take effect on February 28th)

• Allows HSA tax breaks

• No discussion of changes in the taxes that pay for the ACA (most of which hit the wealthy)

• No details on whether Medicare Part D donut hole will continue to close

• No details on whether Medicaid will be required to meet ACA efficiency and care levels

• No details at all, at this time

• It's gonna be soon. Real soon. Like, weeks. Despite no one knowing what he's actually proposing.

Did I miss anything?

A link or two, woulda' been helpful.

But anyway, this is one area where I may support Trump.

But I still think single-payer is the way to go.

So far, and on record, he has promised:

• Lower costs (not clear if this means lower premiums, or lower cost of care, or both)

• You will "have something to say about who your doctor is and your plan"

• We have to cover people who can't afford it

• Block grants of Medicaid

• "Nobody is going to be dying on the streets with a President Trump”

• Everyone will have health insurance, even if they can't afford it (""We're going to have insurance for everybody," Trump told The Washington Post. "There was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.")

• Medicare and Medicaid will be allowed to negotiate prices with pharmaceuticals

• Interstate insurance will be allowed

• Repeal and replace will be simultaneous (I assume this means the repeal law will include the replacement law, not that it will be actually take effect on February 28th)

• Allows HSA tax breaks

• No discussion of changes in the taxes that pay for the ACA (most of which hit the wealthy)

• No details on whether Medicare Part D donut hole will continue to close

• No details on whether Medicaid will be required to meet ACA efficiency and care levels

• No details at all, at this time

• It's gonna be soon. Real soon. Like, weeks. Despite no one knowing what he's actually proposing.

Did I miss anything?

Just typical Trump. According to him his plan will be bigger, better and with lower costs. Of course Health Care costs have been rising for decades, but now because it's Trump he will wave his hand and magically costs will drop.

He offers no details, but he doesn't have to. Because so far his supporters have yet to question him on his lies or exaggerations. And when an egomaniac like Trump sees that there will be NO consequences for his lies, his actions and his exaggerations he will just keep lying, and pushing the envelope to see how much he can get away with.

I truly hope the GOP and Trump have a replacement plan, because millions of Americans need HI and Health coverage. Only millionaires and billionaires can go it alone nowadays. But given Trump's lies and BS, I have my doubts he's going to do a thing. Him and his billionaire buddies don't give a rats ass about who can not afford HI.

Possibly whether TrumpCare will or will not raise the federal deficit/national debt. It is unclear whether covering "everybody" means most illegal aliens that Trump defines as "good people" which will not be deported. As with all Trumpisms, the details are subject to change without notice and are never written down in any one place.

EDIT: Since TrumpCare will happen very, very soon we need not worry because it will be terrific, low cost and cover everybody.

Last edited:

A link to TrumpCare specifics would be wonderful but it does not exist.

So Trumpcare is basically Obamacare with another name..

A link to TrumpCare specifics would be wonderful but it does not exist.

Not exactly. But close. I can't buy insurance across state lines currently with Obamacare. Hell, I am only eligible to buy from one specific company where I am.

There are only two major industrialized nations that do not have universal health care. One is China, the other is the US.

IDK what Trump will do. I don't think he knows. But I'm guessing the GOP will repeal ACA, but give it a year or so to phase out. Then in a year the 'replacement' plan will be RomneyCare and/or ObamaCare like with just a different coat of paint on it and a new name. TrumpCare. But because it will have Trump's name on it his cult like supporters, and even those Republicans who are not in huge supported of Trump will love the replacement plan because it will no longer have that hated name, Obama, attached to it.

A lot of the Red states like the extra Medicaid money coming in. And the mid-terms are in the back of their minds. I don't expect the GOP to completely cut out ACA, that's not politically smart. And they know it. It will be renamed, but be petty much the same thing.

IMO of course.

Just typical Trump. According to him his plan will be bigger, better and with lower costs. Of course Health Care costs have been rising for decades, but now because it's Trump he will wave his hand and magically costs will drop.

He offers no details, but he doesn't have to. Because so far his supporters have yet to question him on his lies or exaggerations. And when an egomaniac like Trump sees that there will be NO consequences for his lies, his actions and his exaggerations he will just keep lying, and pushing the envelope to see how much he can get away with.

I truly hope the GOP and Trump have a replacement plan, because millions of Americans need HI and Health coverage. Only millionaires and billionaires can go it alone nowadays. But given Trump's lies and BS, I have my doubts he's going to do a thing. Him and his billionaire buddies don't give a rats ass about who can not afford HI.
I find it interesting that due to the pronoun starting the last sentence, it's capitalized and Trump is referred to as: "Him"

I find it interesting that due to the pronoun starting the last sentence, it's capitalized and Trump is referred to as: "Him"

I didn't notice I did that. But I'm sure when referring to Himself Trump capitalizes Me, Myself, etc. even when those are in the middle or at the end of a sentence. ;) He is so egotistical and absorbed in 'Himself' it is a little scary. lol

Not exactly. But close. I can't buy insurance across state lines currently with Obamacare. Hell, I am only eligible to buy from one specific company where I am.

Are you in Texas?

With trump's ego, that would be "Hymn'

Basically.......except it's gonna be much, much better.....believe me....the best people....really terrific people....are working on this right now.

Yep, mostly under federal funding and control with the basic aim of making "private" medical care insurance appear to cost some fixed percentage (10%?) of one's (household?) income up to some fixed limit on that (household?) income. I wonder if that still means only a "public option" of Medicaid for many (most?) just like PPACA.

Of course, if one works for the MW then any cost they are forced to bear effectively puts them below the MW. That seems to be why the Medicaid "option" is offered for the poor.

What is not explained is why those making "too much" should be able to get better insurance (often as a tax free employer benefit) for less than 10% of their pay.

Possibly whether TrumpCare will or will not raise the federal deficit/national debt. It is unclear whether covering "everybody" means most illegal aliens that Trump defines as "good people" which will not be deported. As with all Trumpisms, the details are subject to change without notice and are never written down in any one place.

EDIT: Since TrumpCare will happen very, very soon we need not worry because it will be terrific, low cost and cover everybody.

Republicans are spinning what Trump really means by "everyone". In other words, it won't cover "everyone", as most of us take that word to mean.

It is my understanding there are several replacement bills that have been offered but Republicans can not agree on them.

It is being reported that the Trump administration favors Rand Paul's proposal. Paul has been working on it for months. It has healthcare savings accounts, tax credits, and busting open the market so policies can be sold across state lines, through organizations associated with faith and others where people will benefit from far lower premiums.

" Paul’s expansion of healthcare savings accounts would allow much larger tax-free contributions to these accounts, and would allow them to be used for a wider variety of HSAs, including insurance premiums. That would mean that you — not your boss — would be able to choose your insurance plan. Expanded HSAs would also mean increased portability for health insurance. Because you could use your HSA to pay your premium, you wouldn’t be as likely to lose your insurance if you changed or lost your job."

"Paul would eliminate the pre-existing-condition regulations altogether (after a transition period), while his other reforms would significantly reduce the number of people who genuinely cannot buy health insurance because of a pre-existing condition. For those who still need help, Paul envisions responsibility for covering them being shifted to the states, possibly in conjunction with proposals to block-grant Medicaid."

Republican Health-Care Plan: Rand Paul Makes a Good Start | National Review

Trump injects uncertainty into fragile health insurance markets
President Trump’s executive order, signed hours after he was sworn in, roiled the already unstable Affordable Care Act marketplaces and could affect how many people enroll in plans and what benefits insurers must offer. One longtime critic of the health law called the order a “bomb” that signals it will be a “disorderly transition” to a replacement plan.

Here's to hoping the individual mandate goes bye-bye. Bs handout to insurance companies.

Here's to hoping the individual mandate goes bye-bye. Bs handout to insurance companies.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee is set to consider an alternative to the individual mandate:

C3rHvP5WMAAhq3j.jpg:large

It's kind of a work in progress!

Back
Top Bottom