• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump to Block California Emissions Standards

No. I haven't said anything about progressive or conservative views or values or projects. I've said something about right and wrong. Merely because the federal government has the authority to do something doesn't mean it's right that they do it. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it is not. Arguments about authority are irrelevant to arguments about moral truth, except in cases where it is immoral or moral for a person or entity to have or lack authority. The only people who might argue that the federal government should lack the needed authority in this case would be exactly the people who are arguing that this particular action is correct.

Or, to explain another way: you won't find many (if any) leftists or progressives who would claim that any action of which the federal government is legally capable is also permissible. Example: it was a liberal/progressive cause to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay and other CIA black site internment and interrogation facilities. No one was arguing that the federal government had the authority to run those sites. The argument was, rather, that we shouldn't, on both moral and prudential grounds, be running such sites. Against that argument, it's simply irrelevant to argue that the government has the authority to do what it's doing (recall again my example about what I have the authority to call people--no one would argue otherwise. But should I call people such horrible names? Is it right? No. Clearly not).

None of this is to say that progressives or liberals have everything morally right. It does mean that to challenge an argument made on moral grounds, you have to make a moral argument.

In that case, why support this action on the part of the administration?
I dont support epa standards of any kind being enforced at the national level except when the effects of something crosses a state line and becomes sn interstate dispute. I believe the mpre localized a government is, the more effective it becomes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom